Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    AR Junior Member sgt bass08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    179

    low humming sound from subwoofer

    Hi guys


    just brought a secondhand subwoofer the velodyne cht -10 and it works fine. but i noticed it makes a low humming sound when switch on and on standby. should it do that i no the guy i brought it off didnt give me the proper power cord so i dont no if it could be that .or it could be a fault inside the amp or even the phono leads i just need to no as its doing my head in thank you
    I Perfer To Feel Bass On My Chest Then Not To Feel It At All

  2. #2
    Sure, sure... Auricauricle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Yonder
    Posts
    2,886
    Make sure your power cords and interconnects are not tangled up. I get occasional humming from my sub at times, and clearing the cords seems to clear it up.....
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

  3. #3
    AR Junior Member sgt bass08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    179
    no checked all power cords and interconnects they are fine.I noticed someone on this site as a velodyne cht 8 i wonder if he could let me know if is does the same thing as my thank you
    I Perfer To Feel Bass On My Chest Then Not To Feel It At All

  4. #4
    Forum Regular audio amateur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    France
    Posts
    2,523
    It's probably a grounding issue

  5. #5
    AR Junior Member sgt bass08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    179
    hey up audio amateur

    wats a grounding issue like i said i checked all the interconnects
    I Perfer To Feel Bass On My Chest Then Not To Feel It At All

  6. #6
    Suspended markw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Noo Joisey. Youse got a problem wit dat?
    Posts
    4,659

    Do this before asking any more questions.

    Turn the subwoofer off.

    Unplug all inputs to the subwoofer.

    Turn the subwoofer on.

    Does it hum? Yes or no.

    If yes, it's an internal problem with the subwoofer. Problem found!

    If no, then turn the subwoofer off, plug the source back into the subwoofer, and turn it back on.

    If the hum returns, you've got a grounding issue. Good liuck on this.

  7. #7
    Music Junkie E-Stat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,462
    Quote Originally Posted by sgt bass08
    i checked all the interconnects
    My guess is that he meant you may have a "ground loop" problem. I had the same issue when I introduced a Behringer EQ into the system for the subs. If it uses a three prong plug, try plugging it into a cheater plug to see if that helps.

    rw

  8. #8
    AR Junior Member sgt bass08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by markw
    Turn the subwoofer off.

    Unplug all inputs to the subwoofer.

    Turn the subwoofer on.

    Does it hum? Yes or no.

    If yes, it's an internal problem with the subwoofer. Problem found!

    If no, then turn the subwoofer off, plug the source back into the subwoofer, and turn it back on.

    If the hum returns, you've got a grounding issue. Good liuck on this.
    hi markw

    turned off subwoofer unpluged all inputs switch it back on still there so it looks like a internal problem .what kind off internal problem would you think it will be would it be worth fixing or getting rid off
    I Perfer To Feel Bass On My Chest Then Not To Feel It At All

  9. #9
    Suspended markw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Noo Joisey. Youse got a problem wit dat?
    Posts
    4,659
    Quote Originally Posted by sgt bass08
    hi markw

    turned off subwoofer unpluged all inputs switch it back on still there so it looks like a internal problem .what kind off internal problem would you think it will be would it be worth fixing or getting rid off
    Dunno. I'm not a tech, but can you return it?

  10. #10
    AR Junior Member sgt bass08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    179
    I dont no i could ask him but i really wanted this subwoofer and i got it from another forum site like this
    I Perfer To Feel Bass On My Chest Then Not To Feel It At All

  11. #11
    AR Junior Member sgt bass08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    My guess is that he meant you may have a "ground loop" problem. I had the same issue when I introduced a Behringer EQ into the system for the subs. If it uses a three prong plug, try plugging it into a cheater plug to see if that helps.

    rw
    Hi

    it could be but im crap when it comes to electrical stuff .i tryed using another three prong plug put it still did the same thing. the guy who i got it off said he had the same problem low humming noise but he said when he finshed using it he would switch it off by the power switch.
    I Perfer To Feel Bass On My Chest Then Not To Feel It At All

  12. #12
    Suspended markw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Noo Joisey. Youse got a problem wit dat?
    Posts
    4,659
    Quote Originally Posted by sgt bass08
    the guy who i got it off said he had the same problem low humming noise but he said when he finshed using it he would switch it off by the power switch.
    Well, I give the guy points for honesty. It sounds like you knew it was busted before you bought it.

    Try and find a local tech to look at it, but don't expect him to do it for free.

    good luck.

  13. #13
    AR Junior Member sgt bass08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by markw
    Well, I give the guy points for honesty. It sounds like you knew it was busted before you bought it.

    Try and find a local tech to look at it, but don't expect him to do it for free.

    good luck.

    well no i asked him that after i brought the subwoofer when i realized it was humming .
    I Perfer To Feel Bass On My Chest Then Not To Feel It At All

  14. #14
    Suspended markw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Noo Joisey. Youse got a problem wit dat?
    Posts
    4,659
    I'm pretty sure it was an "as-is" sale but, in your defense, I can't blame you for assuming that it worked fine.

    Now you know why I'm loathe to buy from strangers.

    Don't spend too much money on trying to get it fixed.

  15. #15
    AR Junior Member sgt bass08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by TriMe
    is it a humming that can be heard from your listening area, or just when you are very close to the sub?
    Hi

    its lound enough to destrub me as i sleep not far from my bed and my room is really small plus i have had other subwoofer that dont do it. wich is why iam thinking its strange for it to hum like it does .but has xmas is here ive just orderd a epos m sub so the velodyne will be up for sale .
    I Perfer To Feel Bass On My Chest Then Not To Feel It At All

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •