Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Low end

Dustin Broke is hot!!! SpankingVanillaice's Avatar

Low end

Is a sub going 35hz good enough for listening to music? Like my JBL SUB135 goes 35hz low and I was woundering if thats good enough to play the low end of music.

Forum Regular
    what kinda music if you want rap i would say no if you want golden oldies maybe. old school beatles like "she loves me" would be fine on it. also if it sounds alright to you on the songs that your listening to then why mess with it. if you feel that your missing some bass on your music then upgrade. that's all i got.

Quote Originally Posted by SpankingVanillaice
    Is a sub going 35hz good enough for listening to music? Like my JBL SUB135 goes 35hz low and I was woundering if thats good enough to play the low end of music.
    well is it good enough? your listening to the damn thing. I'd have to say my 13 year old brother is smarter than you. You have the most pointless posts I have ever seen. I'm sure you'll reply asking something like ""well i don't know, i think they sound like studio monitors. My JBL's rock!"

Forum Regular
    Not very constructive, This Guy! It sounds like Spanking VI is just asking about other people's opinions who have more experience with subs while listening to music. Sometimes I think the same way- I know what I hear, but don't know how it's supposed to sound.

Chill out a bit.

i wouldn't have said that if he hasn't made stupid posts before. But if you read his posts from the last year or so you'd understand. ahh I'm tired, time to listen to some music, and sleep ofcourse.

I'd say it's barely adequate. If JBL says it 'goes down to 35 hz' then that probably means it's -6db at 35 hz...meaning that it's probaly useable down to about 45 hz. Not very good. The lowest note on a normal bass guitar is 40 hz, then a 5 string would go even lower. How big is the driver? Hopefully at least a 12"?

Its actually a sub that goes with a HTIB.

Heres the sub that is used on the SCS 135. My sub is from the SCS 135.

SCS 135

SV, I recommend you get out and do more speaker comparisons using familiar music. You need to establish your priorities. Virtually all speakers have their strong and weak points. It all depends upon what you value most. When I was a third my current age, the most important aspects were clean bass and extended highs. While my current 'stats do well on those fronts, what I value most today is getting the critical midrange right. Can the speaker convincingly float a life sized, natural sounding voice ? Can it accurately reproduce the harmonic structure of a piano? While those sound like easy tasks, they are not.

The particular sub in question is around -6db down at 35 hz. Which means that it has one-fourth the output of one that is flat to 35 hz. That is certainly audible on a range of musical material. On the other hand, everything is relative. A reviewer friend's Nola Grand Exoticas are flat to 16 hz. Positively spectacular. But then they run a cool $120k. My guess is that your subs were a good deal for the money. As for me, that would be an acceptable compromise if the speakers do well in other areas.

At some time or another, you'll learn what pleases you most about a speaker and find one that offers the best compromise in those area(s).

rw

Forum Regular
    typical low end for ya would be around 40Hz for a 4 string bass as mentioned, 30Hz for a 5 string. some organs will go down below the range of hearing (below 20Hz), a fair bit of synthesized music will have base lines that go down to 20Hz.

so really, as said before, it depends on what you listen to.

-Jace

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar

Talking

35Hz for music isnt to bad if its usable. 35Hz at 70db isnt going to make you run out and start playing bass. 35Hz@95db might might you stand up and see if someones in the house playing bass. Low Hz is fine if its loud enough/usable bass. A sub will say i can go down to 20Hz. Wow,i'm all over that. Oh! Well is also says 40Hz at 98db and 35Hz at 88Hz. I most likly will never hear or use the 20-25Hz. Thats about right,right?
    Look & Listen

I think what would be most useful here is what N. Abstentia is getting at and that which also overlaps with discussions we've all had with watts ratings on receivers. Just because this JBL sub claims to go down to 35hz doesn't mean that it will in any acceptable way. At what level of distortion or db loss will it go down to that range? If you feel you need a sub that can go to that level, I'd suggest you look at (for lack of a better term) a real sub, which generally means dropping around $500.

Forum Regular
    I normally loathe confrontation but I got to say This Guy is right.

I posted a link that gave Spanking 37 reviews right on this website of that JBL system and now he's back acting even needier than ever. Face it: this sub is a cruddy little 8-inch model designed for people who either can't afford better or don't know better.

No offense, but if that's all you can afford at the moment--fine. I was young and poor once too. But stop with the questions.

Hey !! How come you guys get away clean bashing someone, and i always end up in a heated argument?

-Flo

PS: save your money for a real sub like a Rel, Velodyne, Sunfire etc..
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

vanilla ice is too dumb to put up any form of an arguement related to audio and probably anything else judging by his previous posts

Well he is definetly an Audiophile. But since AVreview is a family site i suggest a profile change

"Vanilla's Profile......

Biography:
    Hi my name is Dallas and I am a very hot gay boy.
    ...."!!!!"

Reffering to your sexual orientation, is not necessary in a profile in my opinion.

-Flo

PS: Just to ADD i have "nothing" agains homosexuals, just find it not acceptable in a profile. I mean, i dont write that i am straight either.

cam
    After reading that biography, I really don't want to know what he is spanking, but anywho, If you want a sub that won't break the bank and will give you alot of output, invest in the paradigm ps-1000. I normally would not recommend this sub because I have developed a more critical ear for bass, but it will give you a (pardon the pun) a wad of bass at 35 hz. Save up $500 and you will have more 35hz bass then you can handle.

What is the Paradigm ps-1000? Is that sub better than mine? Will it make more low ends?

So my sub isnt good??

Forum Regular
    I see what you mean, This Guy- my apologies!

cam
    At this moment I can't comment because I am completely @#$#@!%$^%&^%$#. By tomorrow I will be able to comment once again. LOL!

Ok IceIce baby. You subwoofer makes less BOOM than that Paradigm one. If you want bigger BOOM that you need to get a fatter subwoofer.....

Enjoy the booom

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Heres the sub that is used on the SCS 135. My sub is from the SCS 135.

SCS 135
    8" and 100watts isnt going to wake the people next door. Its enough to add some bass to those tiny speakers. If you want some real bass,get a 25-31pci SVSubwoofer.,under $600 shipped and if you ever upgrade your speakers,you'll still have a real nice sub.
    Look & Listen

Forum Regular
    So my sub isnt good??
    Guys, I feel so stupid but we've obviously been had. He's goofin' on us.

Good one.

I think he is serious, which is even worse

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information