Forum Regular

B&W 705 set up with Rotel 1057 Help !

hi Everyone,

B&W 705. HTM7. M1. ASW608.
    ROTEL RSX 1057
    OPPO BDP103

For some years now i have been running my Rotel RSX 1057 with B&W 705 front speakers, with HTM7 center and M1 surround and the 10inch sub.

Two issues bugging me.

1. Till I recently moved apt's the surround for TV and Movies worked great, although never really been happy with playing Cd's (OPPO BDP 103).
    My new place wont allow for rear speakers, its a large room with 10 foot ceiling and wiring is near impossible. If we watch a movie and feel the need, I put the M1 speakers behind me and run cables across carpet ( having kids under 6 also wont allow me to leave these speakers out all the time) .
    So for Movies TV i can live with current situation as very happy with that HTM7, but for convenience sake and lack of HDMI inputs on the Rotel I'm either thinking of upgrading the Receiver or just going to Sonos ( or the B&W soundbar...any thoughts? )

2. biggest issue is music, the speakers just dont sound like they did in the showroom when I'm playing through the 2 channel mode.
    I really dont understand Hz etc and now see all the speakers on amp are set to 100Hz and the speaker brochure says
    Frequency range (-6dB): 43Hz and 50kHz

Is this my main problem ? the amp is good enough for those speakers right? i got good cables and a good OPPO ......

I'm about to buy a project Debut Carbon DC Esprit as want to play my vinyl after many years and really want the best out of this amp and speakers........... am I doing something wrong .......... if not ..then if I'm now happy to be more concerned about my music vs the surround and get a sound bar for TV etc what would you recommend sell speakers and amp or one or other !!

due to neighbors i like below me , I prefer not to use sub to boost bass and prefer to get best out of the 705's anyway.

thanks for reading

For music, the Rotel should be set for 2 channel stereo with music coming full frequency from the front 2 speakers and the sub cut off at 50Hz or so. You can also run the speakers cut off at 60 or 80hz and set the sub higher. I like to run my speakers full range for music. Setting the Rotel to 2ch stereo and adjusting the freq should fix the sound. but remember room acoustics also change the sound.

Check out page 28 of you Rotel Manual for 2ch formats

Cheers!
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    You could also disconnect the sub and just set the receiver to "no sub" as to run the mains with no cutoff, full frequency.

If your system sounded good to you before the move then it has to be the new room. With a high ceiling you may need the sub. Sounds like you ran auto set up already, is this correct? What's the rest of the room like, carpet? a lot of glass etc.

Are in-wall or on-wall speakers an option for rears? I personally wouldn't go the sound bar. What percent of listening is music, and music?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven View Post
    For music, the Rotel should be set for 2 channel stereo with music coming full frequency from the front 2 speakers and the sub cut off at 50Hz or so. You can also run the speakers cut off at 60 or 80hz and set the sub higher. I like to run my speakers full range for music. Setting the Rotel to 2ch stereo and adjusting the freq should fix the sound. but remember room acoustics also change the sound.

Check out page 28 of you Rotel Manual for 2ch formats

Cheers!

Thank you ! What do you consider full frequency if i run without help of sub for 2 channel stereo?

Forum Regular
    Thank you, I dont think i ever did any auto set up , i think I just worked my way through all the menu , but never really understood what best frequency setting is to work these speakers.
    My Cable btw way are audioquest Type4

room is big, 25x17 feet. Split half into living room with sofas and this shagpile carpets ontop of hard wood floors, the other half is dining table and kitchen. so a lot of open space unfortuanetly for sound. The wall which the speakers and hifi is set up is open brick too.
    Thanks advice on soundbar, i agree.
    Will install the turntable next week and gieit all another go ..........ill keep you posted !

Forum Regular
    Any thoughts on a Phono Amp to suit the Project Debut Carbon Turntable ? Go with a project or something better suited to the Rotel Receiver ?

Quote Originally Posted by cookgeez View Post
    Any thoughts on a Phono Amp to suit the Project Debut Carbon Turntable ? Go with a project or something better suited to the Rotel Receiver ?
    It all depends upon your budget for a phono preamp and what cartridge you are using. Also, do you like a warmer sound or more neutral. Is your system already brighter or warmer.

Check out the Needle Doctor and give them a call. Tell them about your system and what you are looking for. They are very helpful. There is one down the street from where I work. They also are an online dealer.

Needle Doctor

Here are just a few to consider-

Pro-ject Tube Box S
    Rega Phono
    Vincent PHO-8
    Creek OBH
    Cambridge Audio 651p
    Bellari VP-130- I have the older VP-129, it uses a single tube. It sounds good and it is even better with a tube upgrade. I can recommend some tubes for it.
    Musical Fidelity V90-LPS

I have also read good things about the IFI Micro IPhono.

I believe that your TT comes with an Ortofon Red cartridge. It is a budget cartridge and bright sounding with a lot of background noise. You should consider upgrading to the 2M Blue, you can just buy the stylus and use it on the Red as the body's are the same. Also consider a Grado Presitge Gold or Platinum Wood for their warmer, rich sound which would be a good match for you Rotel and B&W's. You don't have to worry about the Grado Hum with the DC motor of the Debut. That Debut TT will respond well to a good cartridge and phono preamp.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    I would really encourage you to try the auto speaker set up. I'm not sure what program Rotel uses but in most instances the auto set up does a good job of equalizing your system to the room.

I've used a Creek and found it to be a good performer, I had to spend a lot more to get an appreciable improvement. If Pro-Ject designs their phono stages to match their tables there could be some synergy by staying with same brand.

Forum Regular
    Hi all,
    OK so I've set up my speakers to run via bypass for pure stereo and it sounds better.
    BUT....
    The new Project Debut Carbon is set up with a Hagerman Audio Lab - Bugle 2 phono amp, but keep getting the buzzing due to no earth on the receiver ( the receiver has only a 2 pin power cable)
    I have tried all these, Connecting earth lead to the :
    Bugle2 earth = no good
    to the screw of the wall socked plate= no good
    to a chasis screw on the Rotel receiver, scratched all the surrounding paint off too = no good
    tried various combinations of where the plugs on all the amp and project and bulge go = no good

Please can anyone give me other ideas how to earth this turntable ??!!!

Thanks in advance

What cartridge are you using? Are you sure that you do not have a ground loop? Try plugging either the TT or phono pre into a different circuit to see if the hum goes away. You may need an extension cord.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Hi,
    Using a Ottofon Red to start.
    The buzzing has receeded since i moved the phono amp away from receiver but still getting a low hum.....
    Tried moving all the plugs around but no luck.
    Now im trying again to use the ground on the phono amp but still low hum

Thread Information