AR Newbie Registered Member

High efficiency speakers on a shoe string...

Hi Folks,
    After reading Florian's message, I'm nervous to post mine but hopfully you'll be nice

I am newbie audiophile on unfortunately a shoe string budget. Not so much a matter of wanting to find the best deal or being cheap, mostly family matters complicate my audio hobby. With that said, I know right away that limits the possibilities regarding my question. Can anyone offer recommendations for high efficiency speakers for the budget constrained. My current system is:

-Antique Sound Labs tube amp (5 or 15 watt option) --> the reason I need high efficiency
    -Pioneer PL518 turntable
    -Bellari tube phono preamp
    -Luxman CD Player

Yes, as you can tell it is a budget system. Though the influence of the tubes help to produce a pretty nice sound. The room that my system is in is pretty small (15 x 25) and I mostly use the turntable for classics or jazz.

Appreciative for any of your thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks,
    Lee

shoe string

Leewjo Welcome and there still alot down to earth people here.What are you looking to add .Towers ,bookshelf ,sub and whats your budget.Pat.P

RGA
    Forum Regular
    This forum has no budget minimum so you should not be afraid to post here -- I am guessing you have the MG Si 15 DT -- a very very nice tube amp and one that is not as limited as you might think.

You might want to post your question on the tube forum or the set forum of AudioKarma.org. or Audioasylum as well.

I will offer my usual recommendation of the Audio Note AX Two because I simply don;t knwo what budget you are in and this speaker is $600.00. My amp is 10 watts and can easily drive it -- it is only 90db but very easy impedence. There is a fellow there running a 4.8 watt Almarro Set and said it yielded the best results with the AX Two of the speakers he owns. There are similarly priced speakers such as the Energy C3 that can probably be driven but IMO the C3 as much as i like it and would recommend it -- I would do so only if you are pressed for time and can't be bothered to hunt for the AX Two. Unfortunately, most posters can only piost what they own or knopw really well -- or worse just post what they read in a magazine -- so do go to those other forums and get more recommendations - then try all the ones you can track down.

The AX Two is in a very very high priced set-up half-way down the page --- Very impressive to put that kind of amp and CD player at a high end show and use $600.00 speakers. http://www.enjoythemusic.com/vsac2003/sunday/ fifth picture down the page.

http://www.triodeandco.com/

Quote Originally Posted by PAT.P
    Leewjo Welcome and there still alot down to earth people here.What are you looking to add .Towers ,bookshelf ,sub and whats your budget.Pat.P
    Hi thanks for the reply.

Given the room size I have to work with I was trying for something relatively small in size, that said, if size does matter, then either bookshelf or tower. Pricewise, I was trying to make $500 my upper limit, I can slide that through without creating too much marital ripple

fergot... whasa XLR3?

Quote Originally Posted by leewjo
    Hi Folks,
    After reading Florian's message, I'm nervous to post mine but hopfully you'll be nice

I am newbie audiophile on unfortunately a shoe string budget. Not so much a matter of wanting to find the best deal or being cheap, mostly family matters complicate my audio hobby. With that said, I know right away that limits the possibilities regarding my question. Can anyone offer recommendations for high efficiency speakers for the budget constrained. My current system is:

-Antique Sound Labs tube amp (5 or 15 watt option) --> the reason I need high efficiency
    -Pioneer PL518 turntable
    -Bellari tube phono preamp
    -Luxman CD Player

Yes, as you can tell it is a budget system. Though the influence of the tubes help to produce a pretty nice sound. The room that my system is in is pretty small (15 x 25) and I mostly use the turntable for classics or jazz.

Appreciative for any of your thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks,
    Lee
    I think the lower models from Omega Loudspeakers will do the trick. They are super-high efficient, and sound quite good for the money. I believe their prices start at $400 a pair (the "Super 3" is priced at $549 and may be a good choice close to your budget and requirements), and go up from there. Their web site is http://www.omegaloudspeakers.com .

---Dave
    Last edited by drseid; 06-18-2005 at 03:40 AM.
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    Rotel RB-985 5 X 100 Watt Amp
    2 Tyler Acoustics 2 Piece Linbrook Signature System
    1 Tyler Linbrook Signature Center Channel
    3 Tyler Taylo Reference Monitors
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
    Panasonic BDT-210 + 350 Blu-ray
    Consonance Droplet CDP-5.0
    Sony 55NX-810 1080p 3D-LED HDTV

Office:
    Opera Audio Consonance CD-120
    Jolida 1301A 2 X 30 Watt Int. Amp (Sovtek Tubes)
    Opera Audio Consonance Eric-1 Speakers

Forum Regular
    I own the Ax-Two that RGA speaks of. These light-weight and affordable monitors are very un-assuming looking but sport a very full presentation that is very difficult not to enjoy. They sound great hooked up to a variety of gear and are at home being placed near walls or in unusual positions. It is not a popular speaker and you will have great difficulty locating any substantial amount of reviews on the product. I can however, point you in the right direction to buy a pair; www.venushifi.com. Hint; you can hit your proposed budget with these.

Omega loudspeakers is another that comes quickly to mind, I only wish I had more experience with them to take my comments further.

Triangle 'Titus' is an affordable monitor like the Ax-Two that has a very very quick and forward (often described as electrostat like) sound that can easily operate on your ASL and fill up your medium sized room.

Klipsch Reference series is an option that should not be overlooked. These are wonderful products for acoustic and vocal material, just remember to bi-wire! The efficiency of the horns will truly enable you to experience great dynamics. The sound is not for everyone, but for those that fancy it, there is very little like it within the realm of affordable speakers.

Good luck in the hunt, and remember, have fun with it!

Forum Regular

High efficient speakers on a shoe string

yes all very good choices you might wanna try the the Kef Q1 they have a very wde dispersion and are about 91db about 450 us $ they exiteing imeadiacy about them without being to foward they have a nice juicey midrange with real weight and power and avery large sweetspot.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Try used on Audiogon.com

Quote Originally Posted by leewjo
    Hi thanks for the reply.

Given the room size I have to work with I was trying for something relatively small in size, that said, if size does matter, then either bookshelf or tower. Pricewise, I was trying to make $500 my upper limit, I can slide that through without creating too much marital ripple
    You can get some great buys there. $500 go a much longer way in the used market.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

I got a pair of B&W 601 s.3 for $450. I think they are an excellent value, not hard to drive, and have a great soundstage for that price point and given the technology involved in that particular entry-level line of speakers.

Forum Regular
    If you have a Boston Acoustics dealer in your area check out the VR series. Nice sound and looks combined with high efficiency. The VRB bookshelf should be in your budget and the VR1 floorstander is only $600 and would not need stands. You seem to have a lot of good choices. Have a good time with your auditions.

Thanks for the advice!

Thanks everyone for the advice on speakers. I have located a few places where I can audition some of the speakers including the Audio Notes. I'll follow-up with a post to tell you all how things turn out. Thanks again, the assistance has been invaluable!

Forum Regular
    If you're handy, there is always the DIY alternative. Full range Fostex drivers plus cabs can be done for less than $200 and give you quite a bit of bang for your buck.

Check out http://www.madisound.com/index.html

or http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....&WebPage_ID=29

Also, AR.com offers a DIY speaker kit.

Thread Information