Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular

Looking for ipod speakers

I just bought an ipod video for my daughter. Now I am looking for a speaker/deck. Over the past week I have seen many different makes from Bose to Atlec Lansing and many more. There are so m amny to choose from. Are there any reccommendations.

I have my dock connected to my receiver. Never found a need for I-Pod specific add ons other than the dock. My son has his connected to a set of powered Altec Lansing PC speakers. Either way sounds better than most of the I-Pod setups I've heard. Mostly at Best Buy and Circuit City.

I've never found a really need for a stereo dock, i just use a $15 "iPod/MP3 player speakers"

they work great....just watch out, most stuff will REALLY rip you off, I compared the thing to a $120 altec lansing thing, and it sounded BETTER..lol

just watch out for those stereos with the tiny aluminum drivers...

oh, you can all hate me for this, but the bose sound dock, albeit expensive does sound pretty good...my uncle has one

Some of the best sounding speakers I ever heard were Bose. LMAO Some people are just too concerned with what others say or think. Bose is ahead of its time.

The same thing happened in the guitar business when companies started selling 7 string guitars.

I got my dock off Ebay no name brand for $16.50 shipped. Apple will rip you off.

most bose speakers have a frequency response that goes wild all over the chart, like +-9db, crazy suff like that, and they always cut off the high end, and they are really expensive!

but they do have a rich sound that is pleasing to some peoples ears

Forum Regular

ok, thats a good deal, we have it for $300 here in canada

Quote Originally Posted by bonsaiguitar
    I have my dock connected to my receiver.

I agree. You don't need a special set of speakers. All you need is something that has an RCA input.

Also, get one of these to make the connection:

http://playlistmag.com/products/complete/138-detail.php

You get better sound by taking the line-level output from the bottom of the iPod, as compared with the 1/8" minijack headphone output.
    There's an audiophile born every minute. Congratulations; you're right on time.

FREE RADICAL RADIO: Hours of free, radical MP3s!

Defender of Common Sense

You're situation sounds a lot like mine.

You're situation sounds a lot like mine. I too wanted speakers for my iPod at one time. I really loved my iPod, and I kept thinking: if only I could get one of those Bose docking stations my life would be complete. That was until one night when I lay sleeping Ted Nuget visited me in a dream and told me to get the Apple Airport Extreme wireless base station and stream music wirelessly from my laptop. "It's the future" he told me, then vanished. Needless to say I picked up an AE first thing in the morning, and have been rocking hard ever since. I also picked up a crossbow and a survival knife at the local 'sporting good store' as per his instructions.

Name:  nugent.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  22.4 KB

Products that use 1/8" stereo mini plugs had given birth to a whole new product line.

This includes games, portable music device, computers and virtually anything else that uses that as it's main or only output port.

As such many, many diverse manufacturers have jumped into this growing market with anything from cheap, non-powered stereo speakers (which suck!) up to full blown multi-channel powered systems with built in 5.1 (and possibly more) amps with digital decoding built in which can cost hundreds of dollars....and a heckuva lot in the middle.

Keeping in this family (1/8" stereo mini plug output), you can get some pretty good sound for a pretty reasonable price. check out the wide range of computer speakers available.

Now, Ipods, with their great marketing and cult-like popularity seem to have given birth to their own segment of this market. Along with two channel amplification, they offer units that support Ipod specific features as well, such as a charging station, remote control and the like but, like everything else, you pay dearly for the convenience. Most of the products I've seen designed specifically for Ipods tend to lack big time in the sound market, particularly when you compare them to the generic (non-Ipod) powered speakers that are available. The big draw tends to be compactness and one piece design. whiletyou gain the convenience of a power station, you tend to wind up with the sound of a clock radio, and a tiny one to boot.

So, if you want an Ipod specific unit wit the bells and whistles, be prepared to pay dearly for them. If you are willing to settle for just great sound, start looking at the computer sound sections of the Big Box Stores. I use this for my computer and am amazed at how well it fills the room with good sound for it's price (> $50). I've tried it with various portable devices (including my wife's Sandisk music stick) and it works just as well.

http://altecmm.com/product_details.asp?pID=VS2221

Yeah, what markw said. There are tons of generic low cost I-Pod accessories on Ebay if you must go that route. There are also some cool class A hand wired mini tube amps up there that you could plug right into.
    Last edited by bonsaiguitar; 06-08-2006 at 05:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by njspeer
    That was until one night when I lay sleeping Ted Nuget visited me in a dream and told me to get the Apple Airport Extreme wireless base station and stream music wirelessly from my laptop.
    I'll go you one better and recommend the Squeezebox:

http://www.slimdevices.com/index.html

This thing *kicks ass*. I absolutely love it.
    There's an audiophile born every minute. Congratulations; you're right on time.

FREE RADICAL RADIO: Hours of free, radical MP3s!

Forum Regular
    Walked into Sam's Club one day as a friend was just picking something up for a party. I went to the Audio section and just browsed....I see a small BOSE display,. displaying their MEDIAMATE computer speakers. I pushed the button to hear them........WOW for the size and 2.5" driver I was blown away. A very wide sound they provided too and said "made for cd players, mp3 etc"

But then I looked up at the price...blown away even more...$65cdn!! I grabbed a box right away and have been just amazing for the ipod.

Dont be dissing bose too easily.

Bose rocks! In my book. The 901's are still one of the standards to go by. I just don't care for the way most of their home audio speakers look. I had some 401's when I was in Germany and changed them out for the Polks I have now. I should have kept the 401's. They filled a huge livingroom of around 30' x 20' and sounded excellent at any level running through my Carvin and NAD amps.

just like I said...bose sounds rich and full...but the frequency response is all over the graph, but thats what makes them sound so pleasing!! I think people should give bose a listen for things like this...anything leisure, cause unless you are doing some nice listening, these are non tireing and they make music sound nice and warm

Defender of Common Sense
    Bose rocks! In my book. The 901's are still one of the standards to go by. I just don't care for the way most of their home audio speakers look. I had some 401's when I was in Germany and changed them out for the Polks I have now. I should have kept the 401's. They filled a huge livingroom of around 30' x 20' and sounded excellent at any level running through my Carvin and NAD amps.
    I second that. My vintage 901s are amazing. I've had about 5 people tell me they're the best sounding speakers they've ever heard. They're even more blown away after I tell them they're 30 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by njspeer
    I second that. My vintage 901s are amazing. I've had about 5 people tell me they're the best sounding speakers they've ever heard. They're even more blown away after I tell them they're 30 years old.
    Exactly. I almost went 901's this time around before going for the Klipsch. I have the Bose and I've always wanted some Klipsch, and they sound awesome too.

I don't understand why people bash Bose so much. Even when they hear them and know they sound awesome, they just won't admit it. When I was in the Army people would come over and call them Disco speakers and things like that. Then I would see these same people with lame Sansui and Kenwood rack systems with matching speakers. LMAO

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

This one looks pretty neat

Quote Originally Posted by Mingus
    I just bought an ipod video for my daughter. Now I am looking for a speaker/deck. Over the past week I have seen many different makes from Bose to Atlec Lansing and many more. There are so m amny to choose from. Are there any reccommendations.
    http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/s...g1999=04221101
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Stay on topic please

I don't understand why people bash Bose so much.
    The thread is "Looking for Ipod speakers"
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

I would go with the Bose for I-Pod.
    Last edited by Geoffcin; 06-08-2006 at 05:17 PM.

Bose and iPod are a match made in heaven.

Or hell. Take your pick.

According to a poll mentioned by Fox news yesterday the I-Pod is more popular than beer. So yes, a great match. But persoanlly I would run it through my stereo as previosuly mentioned because I don't think any of the I-Pod specific systems sound very good.

Para who?

Forum Regular
    I have to admit that Bose does make some good products for some people. Their noise cancellation head phones are top notch. Recently my dentist has replaced his old speakers with Bose cubes in his waiting room.

I still haven’t decide which way to go, but these speaker/docks are getting very fancy – some with flashing lights. I heard that Klipsch is also making an ipod speaker/desk. Anybody ever seen one.

How old it your daughter? I bet the one by Monitor Audio sounds better than others, but I wouldnt worry too much. Girls from age 12-28 doesnt care about sound quality too much. Dont get her what you would want, get her something "COOL". It should be sleek with curves, nothing that looks like a box. Be sure to get her one that doesnt have speaker wires. So this one would be a no no. http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...lm=T9078LL%2FA

I'm almost certain girls would love these. If her friends love the way it looks and receives compliment, your daughter would appreciate your gift more. http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...lm=TH416LL%2FA

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...lm=TE207LL%2FA

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...lm=TD059ZM%2FA
    Be sure your gift would play loud enough and plays bass. I dont know what kind of music she listens to, but today's poplular music is bass heavy.

Then again, what do we know about girls. Hey AutumnForever, boys need your HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dustin Broke is hot!!! SpankingVanillaice's Avatar
    My favorite Ipod speakers that are portable and that sounds great is the JBL on tour. I really like how they sound from a very small package.
    Dallas's Forums

MORE THAN JUST DINOSAURS!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information