AR Newbie Registered Member

Looking into an AV Receiver and Speakers

I currently have a Sony 5.1 DVD speaker system, which to be fair is very good for what it is. I have always wanted a proper AV receiver and separates though. I've never properly looked into it before, so could do with some advice. It's to be used with a 32" LCD Sony TV for now, I'll upgrade one day but it's all in my bedroom currently. I have a HTPC which is used for everything, all done over HDMI. As for budget, well it's hard to say as I don't really know how much I need to spend to get something that's reasonably good. For now I'll say anywhere between £500 to £800 for everything. So I'm after the AVR, plus a 5.1 speaker package. I've been on the Richersounds site but I don't really know what's good and what's not, especially on the speaker side of things.

I've been looking at this amp.

With the speakers, I'd quite like some floor standers up front. And they must be black or dark wood effect.

Any info would be greatly appreciated

Suspended
    I would recommend Marantz for the AVR, even the entry level is nice at it's price point. I helped a friend set up a 1403 and Klipsch Quintets and was impressed at the sound for the price. The Quintets would not provide the floorstanders though and you'd still need a sub. The Pioneer speakers are excellent budget speakers, expecially the models that say "designed by Andrew Jones". Jamo entry level you get what you pay for but you can get a 5.0 set up pretty cheap with floorstanders. The Marantz is an easy set up and will sound good. On a budget also look at Sony speakers which would be decent. I personally think the Marantz receiver has a lot more value over a Sony receiver though.

Looking at the Richersounds web site, I would consider the Onkyo TXNR626 and the Denon AVRX2000. They have plenty of features and plenty of power to drive demanding speakers and if you move into a larger room and like to listen loud. Although I do favor Marantz gear for their house sound. For speakers, give a listen to the Monitor Audio Bronze. I have also read good things on the Tannoy Mercury's. Put most of your money in the speakers.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP