LEDE Rooms and Speakers

Now that i am getting closer to completing my journey i am battling the next problem for my neverending search for my audio nirvana. The room! While i am saving up for some Tact amps and dedicated powerlines i need to attack this reflection and room problem. The Tact 2.2XP can fix most problems, but not reflections.

So i want to build a LEDE room which is used in most studios, so i have read. I need to modify it a bit for the Grand since its a dipol speaker. I want the LE to be in the half where the Grand sits and the DE should be in my half. I am not going to worry about the ceiling for now since the speaker is a big linesource.

I want to use 2.4m tall panels of fiberglass attached to a wooden frame to absorb the reflections points. I do not have any bass issues and its mostly in the 1KHz range.

Does anyone have any tips?
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Yeah -- do a search on "Ethan Winer RealTraps". You don't necessarily have to buy his products -- he has a whole site and forum dedicated to room treatments, and there's quite a bit about fiberglass and DIY and so on. He is The Man, when it comes to room treatment.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

AR Newbie Registered Member
    I am no expert, but I think you would want the speaker end to be dead and the listening end to be live. If memory serves, the Soundlab site has some specific acoustic treatment recommendations for dipole radiators.

Sounds like you have a spectacular system!

David

AR Newbie Registered Member

Hey Flo! I tried the LEDE route. Of course it doesn't work with the DE end using di-polars. With the DE at the listeners end it seemed to take a certain amount of life out of the room ambience. I ended up with a mix of reflective, dispersive, and absorbtion. I have placed most of these things assymetrically around the room. The exception being the surfaces of first reflection. Those are treated symetrically as speakers are placed symetrically.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Back when I had a pair of B & W's I tried the LEDE on the cheap. The speakers were placed in the dead end and I used egg crate foam mattress pads on the walls. Not too attractive but gave some benefits.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Thanks for all the info guys,

its a bit tough with this speaker cause it radiates over such a huge area. I will first build some reflection point absorbers at the front and back and then play with the rest. Any links to DIVA absorbers?
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Thread Information