Lab12 do-it-yourself Sub

Does anyone here have any experience with this sub? Here is a link to the schematics:

http://www.prosoundweb.com/lsp/

thanks,
    Mike

I don't have any experience with it, but did a bit of reading up on it. This thing is made for PA use, it can reach down to about 30 hz outside if it's in a stack of about 4 I beleive. If you put one of these in your home, it will go lower and louder, it will kick you in the chest. I've got a basshorn I'm using as a sub, 60 watts and things are falling off shelves, it feels like someones punching you in the chest on bass kicks, it's very good sounding (sealed like the Lab). Only downsides are it's huge and doesn't go too low (low 30's in my room). I love my horns.

This guy,

What are you using to drive the sub? Have you got any added EQ on the bottom end to boost the lower frequencies? Due to the lack of distortion...you should be able to add a bit of boost down low without any ill effects.

Another little gizmo I was going to look into (in the future) is the subwoofer room correction unit by ACEi. Not sure if it's any good or not. but I may give it a try in the future.

take care,
    dan

enjoy the music!

This is way overkill, but I got a great deal on it...Audiosource amp three, can put out 400 watts at 8 ohms. The subs path is only 6 feet, it was made as a 40 hz horn, so the room gain helps. I need a new driver for it though, I don't think it's T/S parameters are correct for the enclosure. When I'm listening to some really loud rock music that has bass down in the 30's, I can hear the voice coil slap (only about 3 mm xmax). I'm just gonna see how long this driver lasts and than I'll put a better one in, It does however sound great when I'm not playing really low frequencies loud. And no, no boost in the lower frequencies, what equalizer would do that? I've been looking for one.

Hi guy,

The reason I asked is because I'll soon be moving my system to it's own room (which will be time to go wild with room treatments). But because it will be in it's own room I can finally incorporate my 20Hz basshorn with my main speakers.
    I know some subwoofer use plate amps come with the ability to EQ the low end (such as the The Apex Sr.) Richard bassnut green at AA would probably have some great suggestions.
    One other unit I was going to look into once I get things set up is the Subwoofer Optimizer System (room integration). Here's a stereophile review on real-traps, where they make mention of the ASCi SOS subwoofer room correction system.

let me know if you end up trying anything. It'll probably end up being a few months away for me.

later,

dan

enjoy the music!

I probably won't be doing too much in a while, I'm happy enough as it is and I got other things to worry about. Have you heard of the Behringer Feedback destroyer? It basically does the same thing, except it's a Parametric equalizer and it's a real hassle (as i heard) to set it up correctly. It's also only like $100, you might want to check that out. But tell me about this 20hz basshorn, geeze how big is this thing and what driver (s) did you use? Damn that must be a beast.

I too would like to know about this 20Hz bass horn!

Mike

Hi guys...I really can't tell you much about the sub at all. I bought it off of John Sheerin, who designed and built it. He uses two eminence HL10's in it. The size is about 4'x4'. When I bought the subwoofer off of him he had both the 20Hz and the 27Hz sub for sale. I think he's still got some information about the 27Hz sub on his website. But it doesn't appear on his for sale page any more

Sorry I couldn't answer any other questions...it's similar to a labsub...but a bit redesigned for the two eminence woofers.

You may want to try asking some questions (or searching) over at the high efficiency forum at AudioAsylum. I've heard a labsub in an audio system once. It was surprisingly not obtrusive as it looks. Clean and clear is what you got...but if you wanted to get ridiculous...well, you could do that too The lab's sounded good...but I think Bruce Edgar's Seismic sub is a bit better sounding. But perhaps this was just because the sub was integrated into the system better.

Either way...they sure do take up a lotta room

dan

enjoy the music!

Thread Information