Klipsch Heresy. PICS.

Printable View

• 10-30-2006, 07:21 PM
    jocko_nc
    2 Attachment(s)
    Klipsch Heresy. PICS.
    Heresy's: Does anyone else get a kick-in-the-pants from these?

Have you ever given these a good listen? Lately?

I knew what these were supposed to be, but had honestly never heard them. At least not at home and not with familiar music and a familiar system. I "Goodwilled" myself into a pair of Heresy's vintage 1981 the other day. $16.00 for the pair, pretty cool. They are in decent shape, except for the stand mounts the previous owner installed into the bottom. However, for the price... One obviously has a blown tweeterhorn (sounds like a famous mountain in Europe) diaphragm, the multimeter found that right away. The other sounded fantastic, particularly at obscene volume levels. New diaphragm is on the way...

Yes, they are in-your-face. Having listened to more-accurate monitors for a while now, I was taken by the warmth and power of the sound. So much mid and vocal sound. A little muddy, perhaps, but powerful and ready to rock. What really impressed me was how loud I could crank it without hearing any distortion kick in. At high volumes I usually pick up sounds that aren't right. Fatigue sounds, particularly with vocals and/or horns. These got loud and just kept getting louder. They sound like a live show. Pretty cool for rock music and/or blues. Looking inside the cabinet, I cannot believe what is there: It looks like a DIY project gone mad. The caps look to be hand-made from a can of Spam. I swear the coils are lobotomized transformers. All built onto a piece of plywood with terminal blocks. It looks like communication gear from inside a WWII tank. I LOVE IT! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have fast-tracked getting these up to par. I may make these my main chanels for a while. They will fit in my cabinetry. The obvious shortcoming is the low bass. Klipsch claims to address this with 15.00 inch drivers in the Cornwalls. Humbug. I have dual Dayton 10.00 Reference subs to fill out the low end. That ought to be a hoot.

All for $16.00 + $23.00

jocko
  • 10-30-2006, 07:28 PM
    jocko_nc
    Oh yea... I powered these with a Carver C-2 preamp into an H/K Citation 22 (200 wpc) power amp. Nice equipment that I found at the Goodwill last week. No kidding, someone gave that away. I paid $20.00 each.

The Loudest Stereo in Town for a mere $56.00! !!!!!!!!

Woo Hoo!

jocko
  • 10-30-2006, 08:09 PM
    jrhymeammo
    I will roll witchu to the end pal. Are you gonna redo the crossovers and drivers to transform them into an incredible pair? I think it's time for you to stepup and use some really good cables and everything else. GO ALL OUT!!!
    I'm just glad I dont live in a same city as you.

jayra
  • 10-31-2006, 04:48 AM
    kexodusc
    Dude, I don't know who that poor sap is in the photo, but as funny as he is, it's too freakin' big to be included in all your messages...

As for Klipsch - The only model I've ever liked by them are the K-Horns. But I really have a lot of respect for a lot of their models. They have their philosophy and they stick to it. Generally, above average build quality at all price points too. One of the great names in audio.
  • 10-31-2006, 06:22 AM
    jocko_nc
    Klipsch horns: I guess I wouldn't pay a lot for them. The price of the "new classics" are a bit nuts. I can see how expensive those drivers are. Yipes. That is all these speakers are: High-end compression horns and a good pro-audio bid-bass. Add a plywood box. Add a high quality DIY crossover. There you go. However, price is not the point with them, as far as I am concerned.

I'm just going to get these up to snuff, not about to put any money into them. That defeats the purpose of a GW score in general and would only bring nominal benefits, if any. I will try to check and see that the crossover components are within specification. I suspect they are.

jocko
  • 10-31-2006, 06:24 AM
    jocko_nc
    Hey Kex:

Have you ever played with that H/K Citation 22? It seems to be a beast. I don't have much time with it yet, but it appears to be a pretty good one.

jocko
  • 10-31-2006, 07:15 AM
    kexodusc
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jocko_nc
    Hey Kex:

Have you ever played with that H/K Citation 22? It seems to be a beast. I don't have much time with it yet, but it appears to be a pretty good one.

jocko

No, and I know little about it.
  • 11-12-2006, 12:59 PM
    jt1stcav
    Congrats on the Heresys, jocko. They're the little speakers that could (although they're not really that little, are they?).
  • 11-13-2006, 09:52 PM
    jocko_nc
    I repaired the tweeter with help from Bob Crites. He is well known on the 'net and was very helpful.

I've had these crankin' for a couple of weeks now. Man, they are lively and loud. With some thumping bass, the sound is pretty good. But, man, are they loud.

jocko
  • 11-13-2006, 10:01 PM
    jrhymeammo
    Now you gotta see if you can go find a SET Class A amp.

Happy hunting.