Thread: Speakers

Forum Regular

Speakers

I am not looking to spend alot now between 150 and 250 this sony is a
    home theatre in the box.The reciever is clip on wiring in the back I will
    upgrade the reciever in a few years thank you for your help

Yes, sir. Glad to help. As for the speakers, someone else can do a lot better job of advising you. I'm new here & new back into audio. I'm nowhere near as familiar with modern equipment as most others here. Someone around here can, and no doubt will, steer you in the right direction.

Have fun! (you will)
    -jon

Forum Regular
    Thankyou for your help again

nightflier
    Fuente,

What is your question? Are you looking to buy speakers $150-250? Bookshelves? Towers? Wall-mounted? What receiver model are you driving them with? How large is the room?

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    Fuente,

What is your question? Are you looking to buy speakers $150-250? Bookshelves? Towers? Wall-mounted? What receiver model are you driving them with? How large is the room?
    His original post is in the Cables forum, Nightflier, in a post about speaker cables & towers.
    (I suggest that thread be moved here as this one was, for the sake of continuity.)

well, i don't know of any floorstanders in that price range, but you may want to look into the Paradigm Atoms, great sound, Great price, great everything really, and theres no nitpicking with these speakers, these cut the crap and deliver the good, take a look at 'em!

Forum Regular

speakers

I am looking for floor standing speakers unless you guys have any other
    suggestions.It is a 12 x 14 room the reciever is a sony home theatre
    in the box model str-de495p.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuente
    I am looking for floor standing speakers unless you guys have any other
    suggestions.It is a 12 x 14 room the reciever is a sony home theatre
    in the box model str-de495p.
    IMO floorstanders are out at the $150-$250 price range. What few that are available have many major weaknesses that would render them *almost* unlistenable.

While floorstanders may be out, there are some good mini-monitors in your price range... How about something like the x-ls mini-monitors designed by the well-regarded Danny Richie at $219/pr. found here:http://www.av123.com/products_produc...s&product=82.1

---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    Rotel RB-985 5 X 100 Watt Amp
    2 Tyler Acoustics 2 Piece Linbrook Signature System
    1 Tyler Linbrook Signature Center Channel
    3 Tyler Taylo Reference Monitors
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
    Panasonic BDT-210 + 350 Blu-ray
    Consonance Droplet CDP-5.0
    Sony 55NX-810 1080p 3D-LED HDTV

Office:
    Opera Audio Consonance CD-120
    Jolida 1301A 2 X 30 Watt Int. Amp (Sovtek Tubes)
    Opera Audio Consonance Eric-1 Speakers

Forum Regular

They look interesting...

[QUOTE=drseid]IMO floorstanders are out at the $150-$250 price range. What few that are available have many major weaknesses that would render them *almost* unlistenable.

While floorstanders may be out, there are some good mini-monitors in your price range... How about something like the x-ls mini-monitors designed by the well-regarded Danny Richie at $219/pr. found here:http://www.av123.com/products_produc...s&product=82.1

...have ever heard them? If not, they still look like a good gamble.

I want something for the bedroom that's visually less intrusive than my Studio 60s. I even have an extra pair of stands lying around.

Interesting...

[QUOTE=Jimmy C]
    Quote Originally Posted by drseid
    IMO floorstanders are out at the $150-$250 price range. What few that are available have many major weaknesses that would render them *almost* unlistenable.

...have ever heard them? If not, they still look like a good gamble.

I want something for the bedroom that's visually less intrusive than my Studio 60s. I even have an extra pair of stands lying around.

Interesting...
    Yes, (although briefly, and I obviously do not own them). Dannie Richie makes good speakers and these are no exception, IMO. Build quility is superb at this price range (and even if the price were much higher). Very good portrayal on music of all kinds, but bass shy (as can be expected of monitors this size). Personally, I think they are one of the better audio values available. They are not perfect to be sure, but do a great deal of things right.

---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD

Office:

Forum Regular

Thanx...

[QUOTE=drseid]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy C

Yes, (although briefly, and I obviously do not own them). Dannie Richie makes good speakers and these are no exception, IMO. Build quility is superb at this price range (and even if the price were much higher). Very good portrayal on music of all kinds, but bass shy (as can be expected of monitors this size). Personally, I think they are one of the better audio values available. They are not perfect to be sure, but do a great deal of things right.

---Dave
    ...I might try them.

I'm not too worried about bass, I just need something fairly musical and non-grating for light bedroom duty. Plus, I could always build a sub from Parts Express.

I don't wanna go too crazy, but are they "boxy" sounding? The Titans I used to have were, my BR1 kit a bit less so, hopefully these are even better?

They sure do look purdy in the light finish...

[QUOTE=Jimmy C]
    Quote Originally Posted by drseid
    I don't wanna go too crazy, but are they "boxy" sounding? The Titans I used to have were, my BR1 kit a bit less so, hopefully these are even better?
    I did not find them "boxy" sounding. I confess that some panel lovers are more sensitive to this trait than I may be... so others may feel differently...

---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD

Office:

Mutant from table 9
    Okay, everyone is right about their disdain for floorstanders in this price range. But alot of people still disdain floorstanders in the $1000 price range.

That being said, you state you want floorstanders. I think there is some merit to that. Especially if your upgrading from HTiB. The fun factor and wow factor of floorstanders shouldn't be ignored.

I just wonder if in this price range with an inexperienced user that a couple of small monitors can be underwhelming. Newbies are often operating with a different set of criteria (read: bass and volume). I'd rather a newbie get the floorstanders they want for the fun factor and say "Wow, these are great, now how can I make them better," than get a pair of underwhelming (by newbie standards) monitors and say "Ohh, is that all the fuss is about? This audio stuff is overrated, I'm spending my money on a new video card instead."

I'd don't know that I'm right about this idea. But hear are some sub $400 options, including two in the $250 range.

Infinity - This is what I would get.
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-k0zRwEL...00P250&g=12000

Polk
    http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Polk-...oductDetail.do

JBL
    http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3724330

Mutant from table 9
    Oh, and BTW... that Onix is an amazing looking speaker for $200. Makes the Paradigm Atom that every one recommends look like garbage. Too bad I own two pairs of Atoms.

nightflier
    Slump, I completely agree. There are some options in the sub $400 range, especially if willing to buy used. Here are some items that may fit the bill:

Maggies MMG ($400):
    http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....lan&1162523508

BA VR-1 ($395):
    http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ull&1164399927

Athena AS-F2.2 ($350obo):
    http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ull&1164228934

And then there's eBay, too...

I agree about, get the floor standing speakers if it's what you want...

I have not heard any these, but they are in your price range...
    http://www.audioreview.com/MER_338crx.aspx
    HT: Anthem AVM 50 / PVA-7; Focal JM Lab 4x Chorus 716 S, CC 700 S, 2x Chorus 706S; 2x 12s - Homebuilt Sub
    2CH: B&K PT3 s2, Anthem PVA-2, VonSchweikert VR-1
    Computer: Denon AVR 2805, Old Tecnic & Optimus Speakers
    2004 KTM 200 SX
    2003 Spyder
    2002 Single Cab, 3" cornfed lift, 34"LTB & 31" AT's
    ONLINE PHOTO ALBUM

Limit your search to finding a good pair of bookshelf speakers, and then gradually add on as your budget allows. Forget about a 5.1 package if you're limited to $250, since the ones in that price range generally sound horrible.

Most of the floorstanding speakers I've heard in the sub-$1,000 price range have issues with cabinet resonance and compromised imaging resolution. In my listenings, I found that bookshelf speakers provide much better performance value. All that you sacrifice is the lower bass response, which you can make up with a subwoofer.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Forum Regular
    Thanks everybody But I could do bookshelves too

nightflier

Bookshelves

Quote Originally Posted by Fuente
    Thanks everybody But I could do bookshelves too
    Well that makes it a whole lot easier. Check out some of the online-only retailers like Axiomaudio.com. I've owned several of their speakers including the M22 & M3 and at that price point there is very little to complain about. Also check out AscendAcoustics.com another great option. I'd shy away from Fluance - their tower speakers are very small and sound a bit thin compared to others in that price range and their SX-6 sounds OK, but is nothing that stands out. They are also not as responsive as Axiom or Ascend in responding to emails.

There are hundreds of other options out there, though, and if you're willing to buy used you could find some very decent speakers in that price range.

Thread Information