Forum Regular

Speakers For Garage

Hey everyone, I'ts been along time since I've been on here. How is everyone? I am looking for a set of bookshelf speakers for my garage. Not looking for superior sound , But I dont want them to sound like their coming out of a tin can either. Dont really want to spend alot of money either. HELP

Forum Regular
    Monitor Audio Bronze B2 there is a dealer on Ebay who sells them for about $350 delivered

PSB Image B25 around $400

Polk Monitor 40 or Monitor 30. The Monitor 40 is about $300 a pair.

Those are the ones I have heard and liked (I'm going to buy one of those models when I buy a new plasma or LCD HDTV this year). There are some internet-direct sellers with slightly less expensive bookshelfs that are popular with home theater people, but I have never heard got a chance to audition them.

Forum Regular

Well, if you want a pair...

Quote Originally Posted by 69 camaro SS
    Hey everyone, I'ts been along time since I've been on here. How is everyone? I am looking for a set of bookshelf speakers for my garage. Not looking for superior sound , But I dont want them to sound like their coming out of a tin can either. Dont really want to spend alot of money either. HELP
    ...on the cheap, go to your local Best Buy and pick up a pair of Insignias. I don't really understand the hype these have created, but I suppose they're acceptable for garage duty. That's where mine are... $50.

As Emeril says, if you want to "kick it up a notch", order the Onix x-ls from AV123.com. These are very good for $220. There's even a matching sub available if you're so inclined, $199. I just ordered new main speakers for my livingroom rig, and I plugged the Onix in for now.

Once you get used to slight bit of hollowness (or maybe the cabinet talking) they are very listenable. Never too aggressive, and quite good resolution at this price.

Insignia: Bad

Onix: Good

Those Insignias would do just fine for the garage, if you wanted a bit more quality and a bit more money I would go with the Polk Monitor 40.

Here Registered Member

POlk rti6 or rti4

I have heard the polk rti6 and rti4 at my local speaker store, and i must say they are superior to the monitor series. I found this pair of rti6 on ebay for $220, http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Polk-RTI6-2-...QQcmdZViewItem, and this pair of rti4's for $165, http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Polk-RTi4-Bl...QQcmdZViewItem. I heard them side by side to the Polk monitors, and the monitors sounded cheesy, these had a more deep, rich sound.

yeah no kidding...

Quote Originally Posted by jaytheman
    I have heard the polk rti6 and rti4 at my local speaker store, and i must say they are superior to the monitor series. I found this pair of rti6 on ebay for $220, http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Polk-RTI6-2-...QQcmdZViewItem, and this pair of rti4's for $165, http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Polk-RTi4-Bl...QQcmdZViewItem. I heard them side by side to the Polk monitors, and the monitors sounded cheesy, these had a more deep, rich sound.
    Of course the RTi's are superior....that's not hard to figure out. The point here is that they are going in a garage, or did you miss that part of the post? This is not really a huge sound quality issue here, just something that sounds good, but as the original poster says "not superior sound".

Forum Regular
    take a look at the infinity primus line also. i have a pair of 150s that sound good and can be had for about 100 bucks a pair or less. what are you running these off of? in our workshop we have an old marantz receiver and a pair of old RTR speakers with 8 or 10 inch woofers and tweeters that work great, usually just listing to the nascar races and FM. my point: may want to look at bigger body speakers if you have the room for them.
    Rosza Center for the Perfroming Arts
    Amature radio: KD8DYO
    Michigan Tech. University:
    Mechanical Engineering/Technical Theater

Go with the infinity primus 160's, they have a bit more bass then the 150's and sound very clean for an inexpensive speaker. 6.5" woofer vs 5.25.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP