AR Newbie Registered Member

JVC SX-WD10 Wood Cone 2-way Speakers

All,

I have an opportunity to purchase these at an incredible price. Has anyone had the chance to take a look at these speakers? I'll include a link:

http://www.jvc.com/presentations/Woo.../hcs.html#wd10

I intend to match this up with my present Harmon Kardon AVR 100. Again another link:

http://www.harmankardon.com/specific...AVR100&sType=H

Given these two products specifications, does anyone see a potential problem? I truly appreciate your help. I have a friend who will sell me 2 of these speaker units for $600 for the pair! (And we'll still be friends!)

Thanks a lot for your informed opinions!

is that 600 dollars a pair for both speakers, and the receiver?
    that makes as much sense as a drunken mongoose playing the piano

I've heard the JVC wood cone speakers on a JVC mini system and I was not impressed with the sound to say the least. May be the larger speakers sound better?
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Since you have a budget of $600 to spend on speakers, before comitting to purchasing your friend's JVCs I'd strongly suggest listening to as many floorstanders as you can in your price range.... and (assuming you haven't done so already) listen to your friend's speakers and carry your receiver with you and see how you like the combined sound....

With this site you are usually better off asking for suggestions of products to listen to in a particular price range, than asking if a product you like is worth buying... the reason being that audio is so highly subjective that what the 'experts' like may be the dullest sounding speakers you've ever heard etc... So trust your own ears...

At the price that your friend is selling them to you seems a bit high considering that through my research, they tend to priced in th $700 range new. If you do purchase those speakers I would highly recomend you also pick up a sub, for the JVC's that I have heard lack the ability to do a decent job on the lower frequincies, and by the looks of those speakers, I would imagine they are no different. Seriously look around to see what other speakers are out their in your price range.
    that makes as much sense as a drunken mongoose playing the piano

AR Newbie Registered Member
    All,

Thanks for your responses. Yes, that's both speakers for $600, and they are new. This friend of mine also happens to be a dealer and runs his own shop here in the city where I live. I forgot to mention that I do have a sub...a Velodyne ULD-10E1. It's a little old, but still works for my purposes. But that being said, Carl's advice is well taken. I should listen to several other sets. It's easy to get tunnel (or is it aural? lol ) vision when you're being presented with such a good deal. And to address Carl's other question...a fine point. My question however, better stated, is are there any technical issues with such a speaker/reciever pair up? The current set of speakers that I have have an impedance of 8ohms. The set I'm looking at have a rating of 6. I don't want to cook my receiver and if I need to buy a new one, I will. Recommendations in this arena are welcome. Your opinions of even just name brands would be helpful.

well, yes, first listen to as many other pairs of speakers as you can...
    i'd recommend Paradigm, but there are MANY others like monitor-audio, warfdale, tannoy, mission, and as many as you can really.

For receivers, i'm gonna recommend a used Denon, something in the highend range. I have a Denon DRA-825RA circa '92 that is an absolutly amazing receiver, try to find something like that.

thats IF you need a new receiver... oh, btw, most receivers can handle a single 4ohm load, or two 8ohm loads.
    (i mean loads as a pair of speakers.)

Thread Information