VAB
    Forum Regular

Just Ordered some Energy C-3's

Hi, haven't posted in a while. I just ordered some Energy C-3's based on very positive reviews all over the net, ordered from Audio Advisor on closeout price of $250. I know that the best way to audition speakers is to listen, but there is no Energy dealer in my area to do so. Presently, using an old Creek CAS-4040 (30 watts per) int. amp I bought in 1987 to power them. I have a Rega Planet 2000 and digital cable music as the source. The speakers I have now are Proac Super Tablette's bought at the same time as the Creek.

The Proac's are great, excellent halographic soundstage, and midrange but I wish they had more bass. Can't expect everything with a 4.5 inch mid/woofer. Also, the treble can be harsh with the wrong, older redbook cd's and digital cable, those Soft Dome tweeters can be grating! They also demand alot of power, I believe they are 82-84 db/meter/1watt.

Anyway, I just got excited and wanted to get some feedback on what to expect, and if the C-3's are going to give me better bass and treble.

Thanks
    Vinny

AR Newbie Registered Member
    VAB, I have read the reviews on the Energy site re the C3's they do get pretty good comments.

I am considering getting a pair at a run out sale here in Australia.

Please let us know your thoughts on how they sound.

Especially with music, cd is preferable, as that is what I will be using them for.

Thanks

Forum Regular
    I have never heard the Energy C-3's, but I'm going to take a guess that they'll be worth every penny of that $250 you paid. Enjoy.

C-3's replaced by Energy

Quote Originally Posted by VAB
    Hi, haven't posted in a while. I just ordered some Energy C-3's based on very positive reviews all over the net, ordered from Audio Advisor on closeout price of $250....
    The C-3's enjoyed some excellent reviews and I would suspect they are great bargain for US$205.

The fact is that Energy Speakers has discontinued this speaker and replace the previous Connoisseiur series with the new, "C-Series" line. I'm not certain, but I suspect this change over was coincident with moving production facilties to China. The new series is much less attractive than the old, at least esthetically, as you can see.

Hey guys,

I've had mine for about 2 months and these are very nice speakers. Worth $250 easily. I have all conn. speakers and I really like the look and design of em. The speakers are well built and sturdy.

The sound is very detailed, clean and crisp. Open and slightly foward, but not too bright. Nice bass output also. That's the best way I can describe them, I'm not an expert at these things but I know what sounds good to my ears.

LJ, do your C3's need a subwoofer when playing cd's ? and what size room do you have them in?

Do you ever find the C9's too bassy? I have had to use port bungs (socks in port holes) to reduce the overly bassy sound I get and I do have a big room 10m x 6m or about 20ft x 15ft

I am concerned that the C3s may not create sufficient bass for my room?

any info appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by bleeding ears
    LJ, do your C3's need a subwoofer when playing cd's ? and what size room do you have them in?

Do you ever find the C9's too bassy? I have had to use port bungs (socks in port holes) to reduce the overly bassy sound I get and I do have a big room 10m x 6m or about 20ft x 15ft

I am concerned that the C3s may not create sufficient bass for my room?

any info appreciated
    MY C-3's are in my 11x13 bedroom. No, no sub needed for em, well at least in my case. I've been listening to mainly R&B, oldies, slow music and a little bit of rap. I ran em for about a month before getting a sub and if it weren't for HT, I easily could've went without one.

Too bassy....No, I haven't had this problem. My room is a little bigger than yours. I usually run em with a sub though.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    The Energy C series is one of the best bargains I have run into in the last 15 years. They are inexpensive and sound as good if not better than other bigger name brands out of Canada and other parts of the world. And I felt that way with their list prices.

No they are not the last word in sound quality but they offer a lot for a little money -- and they are even easy to drive so if you so choose down the road - you coul purchase a nice budget tube amp from the likes of Antique Sounds Labs and still get powerful sound but with a sprinkling of tube magic.

RGA, which particular speaker from the energy C range have you heard, or which ones did you prefer for music.

I assume your evaluation was with cd / vinyl?

The OLD 'C' models??

Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    The Energy C series is one of the best bargains I have run into in the last 15 years. They are inexpensive and sound as good if not better than other bigger name brands out of Canada and other parts of the world. And I felt that way with their list prices.
    The new "C-Series" is not like the old Connoisseur C-3, C-9, etc.. The new ones are a total remake -- see my note above.

If you want the old ones, better move fast while stocks remain.

VAB
    Forum Regular
    Well, I got the C-3's and have had them running for ~1week now. I think they sound great. They are certainly more efficient than my old Proac Tablette's and the bass is mucho better. In my room (12.5 x 18) I don't feel the need for a sub. The treble is also less piercing than the Proac's.

I tried some cd's; Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Patricia Barber, some classical and I have no complaints (especially for $250). Bass is punchy and has good extension, the mid range and treble are sweeter than expected. They don't have the same soundstaging ability as the Proac's but are not far off. The latter was expected.

Forum Regular
    I haven't done a sound comparison, but it seems to me like the C-3,5,7,9 were a step down from the C-2,4,6,8 in terms of build quality and finish.

I own a pair of C-6 speakers and I'm very happy with them.

Thread Information