Forum Regular

Dual VS Single 12" Sub

I would like to build a new subwoofer. it will have 12" cones with 240 watts powered by an external Carver amp. i wanted to know if i would get a harder kick with a dual 12" woofer as opposed to single 12". wattage isnt a problem as the carver amp has TWO channels rated at 240 WPC. price isnt a limitation; so i will be basicly bulding the biggest, bass-ass subwoofer. any imput. i will also consider one single 15" subwoofer powered with both 240 watt channels on the carver amp. thanks for any imput.

ryan

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanpreusser
    I would like to build a new subwoofer. it will have 12" cones with 240 watts powered by an external Carver amp. i wanted to know if i would get a harder kick with a dual 12" woofer as opposed to single 12". wattage isnt a problem as the carver amp has TWO channels rated at 240 WPC. price isnt a limitation; so i will be basicly bulding the biggest, bass-ass subwoofer. any imput. i will also consider one single 15" subwoofer powered with both 240 watt channels on the carver amp. thanks for any imput.

ryan
    Personally, I'd go with one 15" which might actually move more air than two 12" subs anyway. Dual 12"s will need double the cabinet size and only gain you +3 dB. Not very much. A 15" sub should, all things equal, have a much lower extension, much less distortion, and faster response since the 15" will not work as hard as a 12". Probably even two 12" subs (though it depends on the models you consider).

Make sure your amp is rated 240 watt/channel into 4 ohms, or bridge the amp if possible...you don't to underpower a sub.

I take it your amp is bridgeable? If it is I think I'd go with the 15", no matter how you look at it a 15" with the same excursion capabilities as the 12" will move more air which = more output. Though if you cant bridge then go dual V.C.
    Musical Fidelity A3.2 Integrated amp
    Musical Fidelity A3.2 CD
    Teac DS-H01 Dock
    Energy 22 Reference Connoisseur Speakers
    Cardas Cross and Cardas Hexlink Golden 5C
    Tara Labs RSC Reference Gen2

Forum Regular

4 ohms?

do i want a 4 ohms amp for the reciever? i havnt bought the amp yet and can still change the amp i want.

ryan

Two 12" will have a surface area of 226 sqin.
    One 15" will have a surface area of 176 sqin.

Will the 15 move more air because it has more excursion?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanpreusser
    i will also consider one single 15" subwoofer powered with both 240 watt channels on the carver amp. thanks for any imput.
    Another factor to consider with the single/dual woofer question is the optimum crossover frequency to the mains. I found that with my Polk RTi35s, the smoothest response was to use a higher frequency that theoretically could be used with them. At 120 hz, subs DO become directional, so I went with dual 12s in my HT system.

My next door neighbor has an in-wall HT system and uses a single powered 18" woofer. The problem is that while the bottom octave or so is fine, there is a BIG hole in the mid bass between it and the small mains. Shaking the walls is great, but the system does not sound natural overall.

rw

Forum Regular
    I have dual 10's...

I think it is a great way to go and does have some advantages: I crossover at 85 Hz, those frequencies can be directional. I was able to fit two cabinets in better than I could a single larger one, I guess I have satellites. I am almost exclusively interested in music, not how hard I can shake the room up.

There are disadvantages. Double the work, double the parts. As loudspeakers, I'd rather have two of them.

jocko

Forum Regular

thanks

thanks everyone for your help. im off toay to go get some MDF and start makeing the cabinets. i have decided on a single 12". i want to power the subwoofer externaly; i also would like a crossover that i can control on the outside of the box, perferably knobs. currrently i have a powered 10" and the crossover on that is set at 180Hz. what should i set the 12" at. thanks again for all your help.

ryan

Thread Information