AR Newbie Registered Member

surround sound for ~ $1000

Hello everyone, first time post.

I am looking for a surround sound system for ~$1000. Room is 16ft wide by 20ft long and has cathedral ceilings. Reciever is a HK AVR635. Would like wall hangers for front and center to hang next to a plasma tv. Rears can be bookselfs because they will go on stands behind furniture.

Any recommendations on what I should demo or if I will need to invest more to get a halfway decent system.

Thanks

hi! and welcome to the AR.com forum!

now, thats a very nice first post, but we'll still need some more info! such as: do you want a sub too? what kind of movies do you watch? are you planning on listening to music too?

oh yes, and are you willing to start with 2.1, then build up to 5.1?

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Yes, I would like to have a sub.

Movies that I would like to utilize the system with are action...Mission Impossible...explosions...etc.

I will be listening to music with the system. Mostly rock. Some classical.

I would consider 2.1 before going to 5.1.

Currently I have 2 floor speakers. Accoustic Lab Technologies series 600. I bought them several years ago when I had a crappy reciever. Got them from a friend without much thought put into sound.

nightflier
    Wall hanging speakers are going to be hard to come by if sound quality is important to you. Here's a pair that you may not have considered:

http://www.axiomaudio.com/wallspeakerw22_main.html

Paired with a decent sub, that sould get you pretty good sound to start for around $1000. For that price point, getting full 5.1 will be tough. Polk Audio has a few under $1000, but I don't think they'll meet your rock-n-roll requirement. Two other sets that might work for you are Infinity's Primus series Athena's ASF series, if you hang the front speakers on the wall with brackets.

Thread Information