Forum Regular

computer speakers

I'm looking for a fairly cheap setup for my computer desk, in my bedroom, with my main system in a completely different room, I don't want to have to blast that to hear it in my room. Well, what I meant to say is my roommates don't want me to. I'm not looking to spend too much, so I was thinking maybe 100-200 dollars for computer speakers? Anybody have any experience with some decent sound, doesn't have to be great, it'll be almost all mp3s. Thanks

Forum Regular

Don't use no bleedin' cornputer speakers!

For less money than you mention, you can buy a nice set of headphones which will sound WAY better than almost any computer speaker. OR is there something wrong with picking up a low cost, low power amp and real stereo speakers??? On my own computer, I can either plug in the Grado SR60's or plug in the patch cords to my main system (in the same room). Or you could do what I did for my ex-wife's computer, and it doesn't sound bad. I had a tiny MCS integrated amp lying around which sounds sweet if you hold back on the gain knob. We picked up a pair of Boston bookshelf speakers, hooked it all up, and never looked back.

Laz

Forum Regular

maybe

I have decent headphones, but I am not always sitting at my desk in my room, so I want to be able to get around. I was thinking of getting a small integrated and a a cheaper pair of stereo speakers, that's my number 2 option, as I think it would be a little more expensive for what I need.

Forum Regular

recommend...

Hey, i just bought these ALtec Lansings to replace my aging yamahas and iam really happy with them.

I choose not to go with 5.1 speakers because well thats what my HT setup is for and i dont' really need more space taken up by more electronics....

Anyway they were $129 i think from best buy and have a headphone jack on the right speaker, bass control, trebile and volume control too. Check em out, i recommend them highly! Oh and i listen to mp3's on them almost 100%

http://alteclansing.com/product_deta...D=vs4121&sID=2

good luck!

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    This is an easy one;

Without question I would get a Microworks from Cambridge Soundworks.
    I am using one on my computer, and it's very good. You can pick a set up one Ebay for less than $100

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=48690
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

computer speakers

Hell i just picked up a 3 piece Altec Lansing for just under $25. Doesn't sound good doesn't sound bad. The Higher end Altecs sound nice, and so does the Klipsch Pro media 2.1 system (IMO) for around $150 i think. thats my 2 cents

-joey

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    This is an easy one;

Without question I would get a Microworks from Cambridge Soundworks.
    I am using one on my computer, and it's very good. You can pick a set up one Ebay for less than $100

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=48690
    I agree. I bought a set of these (4 sats, 1 sub) for my brother for his college dorm room and he loves it. I was shocked at how good it sounds for their size and for what I paid (< $100).

Talking Altec Lansing 621

I was exactly in your shoes about a year ago. Needed a small system for my computer station. I end up getting Altec Lansing 621 which sell for $150 at Circuitcity, and is cheaper on line. Very clean low distortion (under 1.0% THD) sound and it can get loud.

http://forums14.consumerreview.com/c...mas.2@.ef94a45

Forum Regular

Computer speakers

Quote Originally Posted by agtpunx40
    I'm looking for a fairly cheap setup for my computer desk, in my bedroom, with my main system in a completely different room, I don't want to have to blast that to hear it in my room. Well, what I meant to say is my roommates don't want me to. I'm not looking to spend too much, so I was thinking maybe 100-200 dollars for computer speakers? Anybody have any experience with some decent sound, doesn't have to be great, it'll be almost all mp3s. Thanks
    Go to a pawn shop and buy an old 2 channel stereo amp, and some bookshelf speakers. Get a 6 foot (1.8 m) Y-Adapter audio cable and some speaker wire and you won't be able to turn the volumn past 3. I have an old Technics amp hooked to a pair of JBL 2500's. Sweet!, and I have less than $100 in the whole setup.

Thread Information