Forum Regular

Subwoofer options for $2000

I'm going to down size and upgrade my entire system. I have a pair of Paradigm studio 100's v.2 a studio cc v.2 and a marantz sr 8000 reciever. I never bought the surrounds so I'm going to go with a pair of towers an integrated amp and a sub. I want to start with a new sub and keep the 100's for now. I will use it 90% for music and I listen to stuff like nin ,tool ,crystal method ,primus ,a perfect circle and lots more but thoese are my favorites for bass tracks. It needs to also handle movies cause I will play dvd's on it. As for music I like it when bass goes deep thoese are my favorite tracks. Room size I can't specify cause I seem to move alot so let's say go big sub and turn it down if needed.

The biggest Rel you can afford or the biggest Velodyne DD you can afford !! Or buy a Fullrange speaker
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_IDT
    As for music I like it when bass goes deep thoese are my favorite tracks. Room size I can't specify cause I seem to move alot so let's say go big sub and turn it down if needed.
    Based on your earlier post, I gather you listen primarily to rock music. Generally speaking, rock is not particularly demanding in terms of really low bass. Not like the 16hz note from a 32' organ pipe, for example. The lowest fundamental of a bass guitar is around 40 hz. Naturally, synths can plow deeper, but it depends upon how much of that is present.

If you are trying to duplicate the "live" event, then you are more likely speaking in terms of output. For that reason, I would think in terms of buying a pair of subs that would likely be better suited for higher levels of second and third octave bass which is really what you hear at a concert.

rw

Forum Regular

Right... as Florian was getting into...

I'm going to down size and upgrade my entire system. I have a pair of Paradigm studio 100's v.2 a studio cc v.2 and a marantz sr 8000 reciever. I never bought the surrounds so I'm going to go with a pair of towers an integrated amp and a sub. I want to start with a new sub and keep the 100's for now. I will use it 90% for music and I listen to stuff like nin ,tool ,crystal method ,primus ,a perfect circle and lots more but thoese are my favorites for bass tracks. It needs to also handle movies cause I will play dvd's on it. As for music I like it when bass goes deep thoese are my favorite tracks. Room size I can't specify cause I seem to move alot so let's say go big sub and turn it down if needed.
    ...where best to spend the money? Well, if you are definitely going to keep the 100s, you might be able to get into a used Revel B15... this is the best sub I have heard to date. Ultra-adjustable, 1000 watt amp, and a 15" driver, front firing. It's a big boy toy, capable of the "thwack" in the chest/stomach-type-thing. Hope you don't have any close (as in proximity, not level of friendliness :*) neighbors... hehe.

This sub should work well, in the future, with any quality stand-mount as well as your 100s. I have heard it paired with my M20... full range, to be sure. Something about "moving the air"... this thing doesn't even have to be near a corner. As a matter of fact, it was WELL out into the room on my demo - not ideal, but still will make an impression. Not cat friendly (just a thought, if applicable)

The RELs are also great... I have a Strata III - easy (usually) to integrate, and adds a LOT to the sonic picture. Sometimes redundant with my mains, but a cost-effective addition to your rig. Money-wise, you can get into the next level up...

For a combo of bass output vs. cost, the Paradigm Servo-15 ain't bad either... had more "slam" than my REL, also flabbier and a bit more indistinct in the same room.

Well, it's a lotta money to spend, I would listen to everything you can. Florian also mentioned Velodyne, I agree they sounded pretty good to me.

Have fun looking (err... "listening") I think it will add a lot to the sonic picture, now and later.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Going to use the sub mostly for music?

Dual subs are that way to go. Even if you don't go with a servo sub, dual subs will allow you to play LOUDER with less distortion.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Agree with Geoffcin, you might want to consider dual subs.

If you choose to go with a single massive sub, Acoustic Visions has developed some designs around Adire Audio's Tumult driver (one of the most powerful 15" drivers on the DIY market). Their $2,500 Everest sub is a monster of a sub, and the $1,800 Denali is a half-sized version of that sub that can extend down to 18 Hz with no problem.

http://www.acoustic-visions.com/~aco...le_index.shtml

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

I'll take two Everest to go....

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Agree with Geoffcin, you might want to consider dual subs.

If you choose to go with a single massive sub, Acoustic Visions has developed some designs around Adire Audio's Tumult driver (one of the most powerful 15" drivers on the DIY market). Their $2,500 Everest sub is a monster of a sub, and the $1,800 Denali is a half-sized version of that sub that can extend down to 18 Hz with no problem.

http://www.acoustic-visions.com/~aco...le_index.shtml
    That's actually MORE bass output than is required for a 250 seat movie theater!

Still it's not quite as much as the neigbors kid has in his honda....
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

I run the Paradigm 100 v.2....

with one Audio Monitor ASW 210....a pair of these would be a show stopper...and would run you no more than 1K...maybe as low as 800 for the pair....

Peace, Pogue
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    • Mark Levinson No. 27
    • Musical Fidelity 308cr
    • Martin Logan Prodigy's
    • Ariel Acoustics 10-T
    • Rega Planet CD
    • CJ Premier 9 DAC
    • Linn LP12 - Basik Plus - Valhalla
    • Benz Micro Cart.
    • Akai GX 747 Reel to Reel
    • Straight Wire Virtuoso Interconnects

Forum Regular
    I like the Idea of dual subs it could allow me to buy one then another if needed. I also like the idea of passive subs and seperate amps cause I could use those amps for other applications like PA speakers. I'm further interested in these kits you build and finish the box to save money. I've built a 14 ft boat from plywood and fiberglass so a box would be easy. Anyone know what it would cost to built the everest yourself? And whats the amp reccomendation and cost. I'm probably dreaming there but if it really dropped the cost to something I could afford I'd do it. Though I listen mostly to rock it will see rap and movies I know some nin and a perfect circle tracks have really low drawn out bass that my studio 100's can't produce well. I know it's there not a sub but they still goes down to about 30hz so I want to be able to get down below 20hz when needed on movies.

The Collector
    i personally love the JBL PS1400

What about a Paradigm Servo 15? Flat down to 14 hz, best sub I've heard for music, mates perfect with the 100's, and once you get it you'll have $600 left over from your $2000 budget

Thread Information