Thread: jbl speakers?

Forum Regular

jbl speakers?

does anyone like jbl speakers, saw the northridge line go on sale near my house. Was wondering if these are worth the time to go and listen to, also was gonna look at infinty line also? Dont have a lot of money to speand on speakers now, so got to get the mains for know. I watch 90% movies and 10% music.

JSE
    Quote Originally Posted by madmax1
    does anyone like jbl speakers, saw the northridge line go on sale near my house. Was wondering if these are worth the time to go and listen to, also was gonna look at infinty line also? Dont have a lot of money to speand on speakers now, so got to get the mains for know. I watch 90% movies and 10% music.

JBL has gone down hill in recent years but there new Northridge E Series speakers are big improvement over the past series IMO. Some will disagree. For the money, you could probably do better with some other brands like Athena, Boston, Klipsch, Paradigm, Energy, Polk, Infinity to name a few or even the used route. But, in the end it all comes down to what you like. That's all that matters.

Which model(s) are you looking at?

JSE

Forum Regular
    Just woundering but what has the E Series improived compaired the JBL Studio Series?

does anyone like jbl speakers, saw the northridge line go on sale near my house.
    Does anyone like JBL speakers?

Well, I gotta say...I sure do. Some of the best speakers I've heard use JBL drivers...not to mention that I've got JBL and Pioneer drivers in my speakers. So I suppose I'm a little biased (dang tubeheads)

I haven't got much experience listening to alot of the regular home line...but I have heard one of the lower priced NorthRidge Speakers (unsure what model???). They actually didn't sound too bad...I've heard worse from many "audiophile" brands which costs more money.

What percentage of a discount are you able to get them for?

have fun!

enjoy the music!

JSE
    Quote Originally Posted by Boy Lover
    Just woundering but what has the E Series improived compaired the JBL Studio Series?

To me, the new E Series seem to have a little crisper highs and not as boomy as some of the past Studio and Northridge series speakers. It seems to mids are a bit more detailed as well. I personally think the recent past model JBLs seemed a little "muddy"? to me. I am not sure exactly how to put this but the bass and mids just seemed to smear together.

Like Gonefishin mentioned, JBL makes some awesome speakers. Some of their higher lines seem to be very highly praised and some of their older speakers were really great and considered to be some of the best in the past. It looks like with the new E Series they are starting to get back to that position.

JSE

The Collector
    gonefishing i love your system........ i might have some questions about your speakers sometime.

i love jbl but now you have to spend money on high end ones to get something good.... a lot of the high end speakers use their high end pro audio drivers. find yourself a pair of 4430's and biamp them with a crown k1 and a k2 and use a drive rack as a cross over and you will never question jbl again lol

don't know much about their newer home stuff go used you won't regret it

Forum Regular

went to bestbuy

went to bestbuy and looked at the jbl line there, didnt really like the way they sounded. Next to them where Klipsch- synergy series? They sounded alot better! Are these any good??? These are on sale also plus can get 12 months no intrest on them. So are these speakers any good??

My impression...

Thought the old Northridge Series was a little muddy and lacked dynamics. Thought the Studio Series was a little thin and bright, not even much detail as a tradeoff. Listened to the newer series at Best Buy and thought they were much better. Maybe still a little light on the mids? Think they are priced high for the sound you get. Would take a half price sale to get me interested.

If you're looking for a bargain on some decent sounding but not high-end speakers, check out the Sony SS Series. (Best Buy seems to be sold out nationwide, but they can still be found online) They actually sounded a little smoother than the JBL to me. Could probably get a full home theater setup for the price of a pair of JBLs.

Forum Regular
    I wounder why the studio series costs twice as much if they are muddy and not clear. thats really strange but in a way I do agree that it is a little muddy sound on the studio series.

I have the first-generation JBL Northridge speakers in all my channels and it sounds really nice, the first Matrix, Saving Private Ryan and U-571 were all played at over reference levels and it stayed clear. I have 4 N-24 and N-Center, these are the smallest ones they got.

Forum Regular
    The two JBL speakers that impressed me were the E20s and E90s. None of the others really jumped out at me. That being said, I am a fan of the factory direct speakers so I tend to favor brands such as nOrh or my current Onix Rockets.

Quote Originally Posted by pelly3s
    gonefishing i love your system........ i might have some questions about your speakers sometime.

i love jbl but now you have to spend money on high end ones to get something good.... a lot of the high end speakers use their high end pro audio drivers. find yourself a pair of 4430's and biamp them with a crown k1 and a k2 and use a drive rack as a cross over and you will never question jbl again lol

don't know much about their newer home stuff go used you won't regret it

Hi Pelly

nice to see some other *pro* jbl guys here

*punny, eh?*

take care>>>>>>>>>>>

fun stuff!

enjoy the music!

The Collector
    my boss is one of the biggest jbl nuts i've met. he has 175's and 375s with the wax seals on the screws still, and a huge collection of drives laying around. if you can find anyone with a gaussing machine i would recommend getting your TAD's remagged every two years or so. it makes a huge difference. i've seen up to a 3db to 6db gain by doing it. i just have one question for you about your horns. how do those lenses sound, and where can you get them?

Why are you asking us if these speakers are any good if you just said you liked the way they sound? You don't need our approval, all of us have different tastes when one may say the Klipsch's kick ass where another hates the blairing highs of the horn. I personally like them, but that doesn't mean anything. You may however thought the Klipsch's sounded nicer is because they're more efficient, and hence play louder. People always think the louder the speaker , the better it sounds, its not your fault it's just human nature. Listen to all the speakers at the same volume then if you still like the Klipsch, go for it if it's the only speaker that you like for the money.

-joey

Quote Originally Posted by pelly3s
    my boss is one of the biggest jbl nuts i've met. he has 175's and 375s with the wax seals on the screws still, and a huge collection of drives laying around. if you can find anyone with a gaussing machine i would recommend getting your TAD's remagged every two years or so. it makes a huge difference. i've seen up to a 3db to 6db gain by doing it. i just have one question for you about your horns. how do those lenses sound, and where can you get them?

Hi Pelly

I'd love to find someone near-by that has a gaussing machine...I just hate thinking about the fact of shipping these rather heavy (and tough to replace) drivers fed-ex or UPS to get regaussed. One...the cost would be up there for a speaker full of drivers...and two...ugh, if they dropped or damaged them...well, I'd be quite sad.

You'll love this if you think I should get the TAD's regaussed every couple of years...my midrange drivers are 2441's. Again...I'd really love to get them regaussed...but I'm reluctant at the same time. Any suggestions? Could there be a local shop that may perform this service that I just don't know about? or...should I just bite the bullet and send them off somewhere?

On the 2441's are 500Hz round tractrix EdgarHorns (some people call them saladbowls). It certainly all comes down to personal tastes. Which I'm sure your well aware. They really do sound quite good...they just seem a little more natural than other horns I've listened to. To get a set of'em...you can contact Dr. Bruce Edgar at email at bedgar@socal.rr.com.

If your able...try to make the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest...or come up here

Is regaussing something a hobbyist can do effectively...and (somewhat) on the cheap?

Heck, just between my brother and I we've got 14 drivers using Alnico magnets.

thanks a bunch,
    dan

enjoy the music!

The Collector
    regaussing is expensive, the process is extremely simple but the machine is almost $8,000.... worth every penny if you do speaker repairs though. there is something about an Alnico horn driver that is so pleasing to listen to. i would say you could send them out to me and i could do them but it's $25 a driver and it's probably going to be close to $50 each to ship. we got a huge pile of different drivers to recenter they came from georgia. it was a long expensive trip for them but if i remember right there are only about 10 places in the country that do it.

Forum Regular

I love JBL's

I have the jbl ScenterII, N38II's, and 3 E10's for surrounds. They sound awesome! Yes, you can mix the N,S,andE series and you won't notice a difference. The Infinitys sound good too but cost alot more and don't sound better than the JBL's in my opinion. It's all about what your ears like, I just don't want to see you spend alot of money if you don't have to. I know you will be satisfied with any JBL's and they are alot less expensive than Klipsch, Infinity, Athena, etc..

Thread Information