Forum Regular

JBL s312 UPGRADE POSSIBLE ?????

THANKS TO ALL FOR ALL THE HELP PROVIDED IN THIS FORUM.

I BEEN VERY HAPPY WITH MY JBL S312 STUDIO SERIES....I BEEN GETTING DRUNK ON THEM MANY TIMES.THEY LEFT ME WITH A HAPPY FEELING ALL THE TIME.

I RUN THEM WITH A YAMAHA RX-V1400.....BUT....AFTER LISTENING FOR A FEW YEARS...i WAS FEELING LIKE THEY NEED MORE WATTS PER CHANEL .

I AM WILLING TO TAKE MY CHANCES....

CARS ARE UPGRADEABLE....YOU WANT BETTER WEELS YOU GO AHEAD AND CHANGE YOUR WEELS WITH A BETTER ONES.YOU WANT BETTER BREAKS YOU UPGRADE TO BETTER BREAKS.YOU WANT BETTER SUSPENSION YOU GO AHEAD AND UPGRADE.BUT...YOU STILL HAVE THE SAME CAR...DONT YOU????

CAN THIS CONCEPT BE APPLYED TO A JBL S312 STUDIO SERIES FLOOR STANDING SPEAKERS????????????

WHAT ABOUT BETTER DRIVERS WITH MORE WATTS PER CHANEL ???????

WHAT ABOUT CHANGING THE COILS AND RESISTANCES ON THE CROSSOVERS FOR BETTER FOR BETTER ONES ????

CAN THIS BE DONE?
    WOULD THIS UPGRADE BE A GOOD CHOCE?
    WOULD I SEE ANY GOOD RESULTS ,IMPROVEMENTS IN SOUND QUALITY AFTER CHANGING FOR BETTER CROSSOVERS AND BETTER DRIVERS????

IF SO......WHAT ARE THE DRIVERS THAT SHOULD I USE ?????

MONEY IS NOT AN ISSUE. THIS IS JUST A PROYECT FOR FUN THAT'S ALL.I AM WILLING TO DEAL WITH THE RESULTS AND I WILL KEEP MY ORIGINAL DRIVERS AND CROSSOVERS JUST IN CASE. THANKS IN ADVANCE.

PLEASE HELP ME IN UPGRADING MY JBL S312.

GIOXTREAM.

HERE ARE THE SPECIFICATIONS:

Speaker Type: 3-way - passive

-3dB Frequency Response: 35 - 20000 Hz

Input Impedance: 8 Ohm

Recommended Amplifier Power: 10 - 250 Watt

Sensitivity: 92 dB

Crossover Frequency: 3000Hz, 750Hz

Output Features: Bass Reflex

Magnetic Shield: Yes

Connectivity Technology: Wired

Detachable Grilles: Yes

Additional Features: Gold-plated connectors

Max (RMS) Output Power: 250 Watt

Recommended Placing: Floor-standing

Nominal (RMS) Output Power: 250 Watt

Series: Studio
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Regular

Here Are The Reviews Of The Jbl S312 Studio Series.

105 REVIEWS CAN NOT WRONG MY FRIENDS .......JUST TAKE A LOOK.

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speak...5_1594crx.aspx

Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    You don't specify a budget for a more powerful amp. It appears that you are running them in stereo only from the Yammy 1400? (you didn't mention surround sound setup)

I wouldn't touch the insides of the speakers unless you are a pro speaker designer. JBL speaker design engineers have probably squeezed every ounce of performance out of the drivers and crossovers that's possible considering the enclosure. If money is no object then the greatest improvement in sound would be upgrading to a higher level speaker from JBL or other brand. I am in no way knocking your JBL's, only saying that usually the way to get the biggest increase in sound quality is in the speakers more so than the amp.

If you definetly keep these speakers then powering them with a new amp might offer some audible advantages. The amp in the Yammy 1400 is very good as far as receivers go. The only porblem would be if you are really cranking them up to very loud volumes. Then you might sometimes be driving the amp in the 1400 into or near clipping (the amp has run out of gas and is distorting in an audible way). The distortion will cause the speaker to sound muddy or loose it defined and clear sound. At high volumes you might also hear a little edginess in the highs. This can be a sign of amp distortion or a natural characteristic that some people hear in the titanium tweeter.

While the JBL is quite efficient (sensitivity ... 92dB's) it also has a fairly high power handling capability. You might benefit with the JBL's by going to a top quality power amp still using the Yammy 1400 as the pre-amp. Here is a company that I bought my new amp from. Emotiva is an electronics company that assembles their products in China and sells them direct to the end user via the internet. These are extremely high quality amps at amazing prices. This is an example of one of their 2 channel amps that is a brute. The power specs are very conservative. This XPA-2 amp would drive your JBL's to their max performance. The UPA-2 would be an upgrade from the Yammy amp but not provide a lot more power. You would pay about 2-3 times this price for a comparable amp from a local dealer.

http://emotiva.com/xpa2.shtm

http://emotiva.com/upa2.shtm

RR6

PS: OK, now I saw your other posts. Only a suggestion, but next time combine your situation into one thread and give all the details in one complete post so we can help you the most. Several suggstions:

.....You can use a 2 channel power amp to run the front left and right (JBL's) and use the Yammy for the other 3 channels if you have a 5.1 system (or the other 5 channels if you have a 7.1 system?).

.....You could use a 5 Channel power amp (like the Emotiva XPA-5, adding a UPA-2 for the rear channels in a 7.1 system) ) and use the Yammy 1400 as a pre-amp and surround processor only.

.....You could use a 7 channel power amp (like the Emotiva UPA-7) and the Yammy as the pre-pro.

.....In the future if you change any speakers try to make sure the three speakers across the front are voice/timbre matched. That means they are from the same brand and series and have at least the same exact tweeter and also mid if possible. This also helps for the surround speakers. Voice/timbre matched speakers allow for the best smooth and homogenous surround sound.
    Last edited by RoadRunner6; 03-13-2009 at 08:06 PM.

Forum Regular

Hey you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy mega cow !!!! you are the man !!!!
    What specifications of the Emotiva XPA-2 amp. Simply amazing.

Thanks man.

I hope this work LOL.

And yes....I am going to run them in 2 chanel mode just for music ....and when listening movies maybe i can use my Just my Yamaha. is this company secure????

I mean there is not risks by dealing with them online?? have you use their services before????

Thanks.

Gioxtream

Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    I buy most products online from audio/HT to phtography to everything else with less problems than at local dealers. Use a credit card only and you are protected. I always investigate the ratings for online companies before I buy if I am not already aware of their reputation. In this economy no company is safe from problems but I think Emotiva is here to stay for a long time. Surf their forum and you'll find lots of info. Due to their business model sometimes they are out of a particular model but IMO it is worth the wait for the next shipment. The price alone is worth the wait. The build quality is superb.

I purchased my XPA-5 amp from them a few months ago and am extremely please with all aspects of this company. The 75lb XPA-5 is a thing of beauty. I am on the preorder list for one of their new pre-pro's, the XMC-1. Their speakers also look to be an outstanding buy.

You could run the XPA-2 from the pre outs on the Yammy for the left and right speakers for both stereo and home theater use, a very simple connection. The amps in the Yammy would drive the center and surround speakers for home theater or multi channel music. For not much more money you can run the XPA-5 for a 5.1 system and use the UPA-2 for the rear surround channels if you have a 7.1 system. The XPA-2 and the XPA-3 or XPA-2 and XPA-5 are also common combo's by Emotiva owners. Black front end plates are also available is you like an all black front.

Note that the XPA-5 is rated at 200 watts per channel but this is with all channels operating. This is actually be rated at a conservative 275 watts/8 ohms and 400 watts/4 ohms with two channels operating as most receivers would be rated. Several others at this forum bought amps from Emotiva before me and this is how I first found out about this great company.

My speakers are from Axiom Audio and my sub is from Outlaw Audio, both online direct to buyer companies. I have been pleased with all these companies. All of them have a return guarantee policy and are considered very reputable.

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/r...A-5-VGA009.jpg

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/r...A-5-VGA013.jpg

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/r...A-5-VGA014.jpg

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/r...A-5-VGA001.jpg

RR6
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails JBL s312   UPGRADE POSSIBLE ?????-emotivaxpa-5-vgablue004.jpg  

no, it can not be done. well yeah, it can be done, but you'll mess up the speaker.
    and drivers don't have watts, the amplifier puts out watts. if you want more power, get a more powerful amp...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

I'd suggest a two-prong approach.

1) Get a more powerful amp that fits inside the S312's recommended power ratings (as suggested by others); and

2) Get a powered subwoofer and use your receiver to pass all the LF info below 80 or 100 or 120 or 130 Hz, depending on your room. This frees up the 12" Polyplas driver to focus more clearly on the strongest part of its range without having to go all the way down.

This will ease the woofer's load at the low end and will make the mid and upper bass cleaner.
    I like sulung tang.

Forum Regular
    Hey.....what is the difference in the s312 studio series and the s312 II ????????
    There is 2 models...can someone respone?

if so.What are the differences????

Forum Regular

hey man ..check this out...........

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner6
    You don't specify a budget for a more powerful amp. It appears that you are running them in stereo only from the Yammy 1400? (you didn't mention surround sound setup)

I wouldn't touch the insides of the speakers unless you are a pro speaker designer. JBL speaker design engineers have probably squeezed every ounce of performance out of the drivers and crossovers that's possible considering the enclosure. If money is no object then the greatest improvement in sound would be upgrading to a higher level speaker from JBL or other brand. I am in no way knocking your JBL's, only saying that usually the way to get the biggest increase in sound quality is in the speakers more so than the amp.

If you definetly keep these speakers then powering them with a new amp might offer some audible advantages. The amp in the Yammy 1400 is very good as far as receivers go. The only porblem would be if you are really cranking them up to very loud volumes. Then you might sometimes be driving the amp in the 1400 into or near clipping (the amp has run out of gas and is distorting in an audible way). The distortion will cause the speaker to sound muddy or loose it defined and clear sound. At high volumes you might also hear a little edginess in the highs. This can be a sign of amp distortion or a natural characteristic that some people hear in the titanium tweeter.

While the JBL is quite efficient (sensitivity ... 92dB's) it also has a fairly high power handling capability. You might benefit with the JBL's by going to a top quality power amp still using the Yammy 1400 as the pre-amp. Here is a company that I bought my new amp from. Emotiva is an electronics company that assembles their products in China and sells them direct to the end user via the internet. These are extremely high quality amps at amazing prices. This is an example of one of their 2 channel amps that is a brute. The power specs are very conservative. This XPA-2 amp would drive your JBL's to their max performance. The UPA-2 would be an upgrade from the Yammy amp but not provide a lot more power. You would pay about 2-3 times this price for a comparable amp from a local dealer.

http://emotiva.com/xpa2.shtm

http://emotiva.com/upa2.shtm

RR6

PS: OK, now I saw your other posts. Only a suggestion, but next time combine your situation into one thread and give all the details in one complete post so we can help you the most. Several suggstions:

.....You can use a 2 channel power amp to run the front left and right (JBL's) and use the Yammy for the other 3 channels if you have a 5.1 system (or the other 5 channels if you have a 7.1 system?).

.....You could use a 5 Channel power amp (like the Emotiva XPA-5, adding a UPA-2 for the rear channels in a 7.1 system) ) and use the Yammy 1400 as a pre-amp and surround processor only.

.....You could use a 7 channel power amp (like the Emotiva UPA-7) and the Yammy as the pre-pro.

.....In the future if you change any speakers try to make sure the three speakers across the front are voice/timbre matched. That means they are from the same brand and series and have at least the same exact tweeter and also mid if possible. This also helps for the surround speakers. Voice/timbre matched speakers allow for the best smooth and homogenous surround sound.
    Check this out :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiSZ5VP4Bls

Quote Originally Posted by Gioxtream
    Hey.....what is the difference in the s312 studio series and the s312 II ????????
    There is 2 models...can someone respone?

if so.What are the differences????

All of the JBL S Series speakers came out in a "II" version after Bose successfully sued Harman Audio over the shape of the ports on the original S Series designs. In addition to changing the port's design so as not to mimic (unintentional or not) Bose's "special design," JBL changed the color of the drivers, changed the tweeter model, and redesigned the portion of the baffle that had the integrated EOS Waveguide around the tweeter.
    I like sulung tang.

Forum Regular
    105 REVIEWS CAN NOT WRONG MY FRIENDS
    I've been looking at the S312 on the net, too. But most of the reviews say a sub is needed? Cabinet size looks good for the size of the woofers.
    (FYI: I recently purchased the highly popular L100 and then read about the design problems and I've corresponded with some loudspeaker designers and they say the L100 cabinets are too small for the 123a woofer and shouldn't be ported, larger cabinets are needed, crossovers need upgrade, etc.)
    I want a full-range speaker that has deep bass (for home audio not home theatre). I take it the S312 doesn't have that? I'm not into buying speakers and then having to supplement them by buying expensive subwoofers, adding high-pass filters, etc.
    (Using Sansui AU-517 60wpc which is a powerful amp. Even my Polk Monitor 10s don't have the deep bass I'm looking for so my search continues. My 8"x2 Kicker car subs have much deeper, richer and stronger bass than my Polks.)

Thread Information