test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar

Looking for a small sub for stereo system in a small room

I have a NAD C320BEE driving Axiom M3Tis which I use for listening to music. I'm a graduate student on a limited budget but would like to finally add a sub to the system to fill out the bottom end and give my bookshelves an easier job.

I will be using the speaker level inputs to the sub and connecting my Axioms to the speaker level outputs on the sub (obviously). I would like the sub to filter or reduce bass frequencies transmitted to the bookshelves so they have an easier job of handing the rest of the frequency range. Or at least it's my assumption that this would be a benefit to me in this situation. I believe that would be a high-pass filter on the speaker level output from the sub.

Since my budget is limited I've been rather interested in two subs which are fairly similar, the HSU STF-1 and Outlaw LFM-2. $300 is an appealing price point if I can get a decently composed sub with fairly linear performance. Unfortunately it doesn't look like they'll offer me a high-pass filter on the outputs. Should I really be concerned about this, or not?

Forum Regular
    Do the Axioms's bottom-out from over excursion? Do you hear break-up effects when playing at high volumes? If the answer is no, then you don't absolutely need the high-pass crossover. Sure, it will take some strain off the the amp, but I don't think that is an issue with the NAD. If you purchase a sub that allows for this, I would experiment with both options and see what you like better. You may want the sub to roll-in lower than the high pass crossover on the sub accomodates (ie 50Hz vs 80Hz). Also, you may like the sound of the pre-amp level connection better.

You may want to take a look at the Pinnacle subwoofers as well:
    http://www.pinnaclespeakers.com/subwoofers.html#VPSub

Small, affordable, and full-featured. Probably sound good, too.

Edit: The HSU and Outlaw subs appear to both have continuously variable crossovers. The crossover passes the highs to the speakers AND the lows to the sub at the frequency level you choose. This is a nice feature.
    Last edited by NickWH; 03-26-2006 at 08:28 AM.

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NickWH
    Do the Axioms's bottom-out from over excursion? Do you hear break-up effects when playing at high volumes? If the answer is no, then you don't absolutely need the high-pass crossover. Sure, it will take some strain off the the amp, but I don't think that is an issue with the NAD. If you purchase a sub that allows for this, I would experiment with both options and see what you like better. You may want the sub to roll-in lower than the high pass crossover on the sub accomodates (ie 50Hz vs 80Hz). Also, you may like the sound of the pre-amp level connection better.
    No, I've never heard them bottom out even at fairly high levels while tooling around with bass controls. The sound isn't favorable though, it loses some accuracy when you really push it but I would expect as much for a bookshelf speaker, particularly one not costing thousands.

I'm not too concerned about the NAD having to amplify the bass, in my room I don't even need to turn it up very much before my ears start bleeding.

You may want to take a look at the Pinnacle subwoofers as well:
    http://www.pinnaclespeakers.com/subwoofers.html#VPSub

Small, affordable, and full-featured. Probably sound good, too.
    I'm familiar with them as a brand but don't know their products too well but I'll look at it.

Edit: The HSU and Outlaw subs appear to both have continuously variable crossovers. The crossover passes the highs to the speakers AND the lows to the sub at the frequency level you choose. This is a nice feature.
    They do, but I was thinking that the lows are still sent in full force to the speakers which I thought by reducing would give those poor little speakers an easier job of reproducing everything else. Unless that's what you're saying. I need to go read a sub FAQ, I've never bothered to become fully informed of what everything does although I knew more 4 or 5 years ago.

Forum Regular
    After glancing at the documentation, it appears that the crossover networks in both the subs you are interested in are low-pass only. The manufacturers are assuming you will be using an HT receiver with it's own crossover to manage the bass frequencies. Not a surprise given the price.

The Pinnacle subs all seem to have fixed 80Hz high-pass crossovers for satellites and a variable low-pass for the woofer.

Thread Information