Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

JBL CENTURY L-100 opinions pleaseMy

My neighbor of 20 years is moving soon and gave me a pair of jbl century l-100s, I was just wondering what your guys opinions are of these speakers. I have them hooked up to my mcintosh 2505 runnin a luxman cd player and they seem niceeeeee.

Forum Regular
    These are a classic 70s rock & roll speaker. They are efficient, play loud and have the characteristic JBL "punchy" sound. However, not too many people think of them as a neutral speaker. Listeners tend to gravitate toward a "love 'em" or "hate 'em" response.

In short, they are a classic speaker with a fairly well established set of virtues and flaws. If their strengths happen to line up with the traits you like in a speaker, you're good to go.

I remember those speakers well, a friend of mine had a pair back in the 70's. I would consider them a "Classic", a well known speaker from that era, or perhaps the most well known JBL. A great value! Congratulations! Enjoy!

Here is some more info on these speakers and how to upgrade them.

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/JBL_L100.htm
    Musical Fidelity A3.2 Integrated amp
    Musical Fidelity A3.2 CD
    Teac DS-H01 Dock
    Energy 22 Reference Connoisseur Speakers
    Cardas Cross and Cardas Hexlink Golden 5C
    Tara Labs RSC Reference Gen2

Another tweak, and a lot of bang for your buck is to replace the caps on the crossovers with "Jantzen Standards" capacitors from Parts Express. You will hear a difference. I've done it with older speakers, and budget speakers and it really improved the sound.

Wow! Great reference

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyBC
    Here is some more info on these speakers and how to upgrade them.

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/JBL_L100.htm
    The new crossover network proposed there ought to make a huge improvement over the original. Not only a smoother frequency response, but much lower distortion.

Theebadone

Here’s a contemporaneous review of the L100, the font is small but if you zoom in it can be read.

McIntosh MC352, 2 MC2300's gone but not forgotten
    Carver M1.5t & C1
    Squeezebox Classic 6000+ CD's
    Sony PS-X600 Shure V15 type V
    JBL L220 Oracle & K2-9800SE

thanks for all the info

Another question, will modifying these speakers hurt their value in any way.

Maybe to a collector who likes their original sound, mint pairs are selling around 400-500 bucks.
    Musical Fidelity A3.2 Integrated amp
    Musical Fidelity A3.2 CD
    Teac DS-H01 Dock
    Energy 22 Reference Connoisseur Speakers
    Cardas Cross and Cardas Hexlink Golden 5C
    Tara Labs RSC Reference Gen2

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Nice pick-up and a great neighbor!

I have never heard a pair of these but it interesting reading the info on that great link and in that copy of Stereo Review. I was surprised that as big a seller as they were I have never run across a pair in the thrift stores. most likely that reflects their popularity and quality. While a big fan of the "New England" sound I will certainly keep my eyes open for a pair.

Quote Originally Posted by theebadone
    That's a tough question. But the value of a used L100 isn't super high to begin with, so I would say that if you make a recognized crossover upgrade such as the one referred to earlier in this thread that their will be no decrease in value, possibly even an increases.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    That's a tough question. But the value of a used L100 isn't super high to begin with, so I would say that if you make a recognized crossover upgrade such as the one referred to earlier in this thread that their will be no decrease in value, possibly even an increases.
    I would agree with Feanor on that issue. I have only vintage speakers and whenever I post something about a particular speaker on another site that is more dedicated to vintage gear than AR almost the first response everytime is to do a re-cap. I think it would add value since most prospective buyers would appreciate the upgrade, especially if they saw/heard the improvement based on the link provided nby MikeyBC.
    Last edited by thekid; 07-05-2009 at 04:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by theebadone
    Modify no, Replace the capacitors, yes! It's the weak link, caps tend to leak and degrade over time. I would recommend the Jantzen Standards, from PartsExpress. Not too bad on the wallet and good quality.

My first new speakers were JBL L100s in 1970. I scrimped and saved, then put them on layaway at Woodville appliance in Toledo until I could pay them off. I loved them then and love them now. Still have the original pair, though I've got a ton of much better speakers.

No speaker has given me more pleasure over the years, 'though many have given me better sound.

-----------------------------------

Some JBL aficionados look down on them but that's why we have this smilie:

Hey, guys!
    Last edited by filecat13; 07-21-2009 at 07:33 PM.
    I like sulung tang.

Quote Originally Posted by filecat13
    My first new speakers were JBL L100s in 1970. I scrimped and saved, then put them on layaway at Woodville appliance in Toledo until I could pay them off. I loved them then and love them now. Still have the original pair, though I've got a ton of much better speakers.

Ah, yes, filecat13. You're the guy with the huge JBL collect.

I've never be much of a JBL fan myself, but hey, I respect a guy with focus.

My first new speakers were JBL L100s in 1970...No speaker has given me more pleasure over the years, 'though many have given me better sound.
    I feel the same way about Advents. My first pair was purchased in '72.

rw

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Ah, yes, filecat13. You're the guy with the huge JBL collect.

I've never be much of a JBL fan myself, but hey, I respect a guy with focus.
    You're very kind. You could have gone to "obsessed" or "fanatical" or "delusional" but you didn't. Mercí.
    I like sulung tang.

Quote Originally Posted by hwirt
    Theebadone

Here’s a contemporaneous review of the L100, the font is small but if you zoom in it can be read.
    I still recall Michael Marcus writing in Rolling Stone that the "L100 can knock you on your ass" and causing enough of a stir that JBL credits that review with adding 10,000 pairs to L100 sales at the time.
    I like sulung tang.

I still recall Michael Marcus writing in Rolling Stone that the "L100 can knock you on your ass" and causing enough of a stir that JBL credits that review with adding 10,000 pairs to L100 sales at the time.
    The 3 db peak at 60 hz did just that. A similar boost centered around 5k also enhanced it's "brilliance". There is no question they were one of the most successful speakers in history. It was the quintessential rock speaker. As for me, I preferred a speaker with less "personality" and better first octave performance.

rw

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    The 3 db peak at 60 hz did just that. A similar boost centered around 5k also enhanced it's "brilliance". There is no question they were one of the most successful speakers in history. It was the quintessential rock speaker. As for me, I preferred a speaker with less "personality" and better first octave performance.

rw
    The review made no mention of the two peaks you describe, see quotes.

“The integrated frequency response of the JBL L100 (with its controls set at “0”) was unusually smooth and flat within +/- 3 db from 55 to almost 17000 Hz. The bass response fell off smoothly below 60 Hz but was still effective down to 45 Hz.”

“Our simulated live –vs- recorded test which is in effect a test for flat response from 200 Hz on up was a real ear opener. Most of the time we were unable to detect the change-over from the original sound to its reproduction through the L100. In this important though not definitive test the JBL L100 ranks with the most accurate speaker we have tested- certainly no other has been better.”
    Carver M1.5t & C1

Aging Smartass
    I remember that review quite clearly, and like most in the industry, was astonished that Stereo Review made the claims that they did on the L-100. Though immensely popular, especially so for a relatively expensive speaker, other than rock fans, few audio enthusiasts liked the L-100 because of its obvious coloration. There was no question though about its construction, which was typically first-rate, as all JBL's were in the day. It was also the first speaker to use foam as a grille material. Foam was the most acoustically inert grille material around at the time, and the L-100's "egg-crate" foam grille was available in several colors. No one knew then that the foam would eventually rot, just as the foam surrounds on speakers do, but there was no doubt that the L-100 was a great looking speaker.

JBL took a different approach around 1978-79 when the L-100 was discontinued, and a newer model, the L-110, appeared. The L-110 was an attempt by JBL to produce a "neutral," or "flat" loudspeaker, but failed miserably and sounded awful. The 4311 (not the 4310, as a previous post stated) was the "studio monitor" version of the L-100, which consistently outsold the L-110, and by a huge margin.

Interesting, can you point to any references to refresh our memories? I also recall the review quite clearly but not the other things.
    Carver M1.5t & C1

Interesting, can you point to any references to refresh our memories? I also recall the review quite clearly but not the other things.
    LOL, emaidel IS our local reference.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

The review made no mention of the two peaks you describe, see quotes.
    “The integrated frequency response of the JBL L100 (with its controls set at “0”) was unusually smooth and flat within +/- 3 db from 55 to almost 17000 Hz. The bass response fell off smoothly below 60 Hz but was still effective down to 45 Hz.”
    There is nothing inconsistent with the numbers nor my recollection of the sound. Yes, it fell off smoothly below 60 hz (after the peak!) and was within +/- 3 db (which allows for 6 db variations).

When you compare its sound to that of live music, you'll note the popular peaks. Ironically, its replacement, the L110, wasn't nearly as popular because - they removed the peaks! A friend of mine has some 110s which I prefer. Although they have peculiar imaging due to the unusually high crossover point for the tweeter. The 5" midrange operates up to 5 kHz where it gets very directional. The tweeter, by comparison has very good dispersion. The effect for instruments that span both drivers is like the audio equivalent of a fun house mirror. Image width is pinched in the lower registers and opens up as you move up through the octaves.

rw

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information