RGA
    Forum Regular

Please everyone I want this for Christmas

I'm looking for a new turntable - anyone want to donate to the needy RGA stereo fund - anyone with a RICH sister.

Here is what I want - the rest of the system would be nice too but I won't be greedy. Please include the Arm and cartridge though because they would cost more than some new cars. Seriously an 800 watt amplifier JUST to drive the turntable motors --- I love it this stuff can get mondo nutso http://www.hornet.hr/pages/WNMilan_AN.htm

Sorry RGA,
    Santa only brings toys to good boys and girls and the last time he checked, you weren't on the right side of the ledger!

You'll have to upgrade to better speakers before you can get a turntable.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Fine fine - but geez just because there are more important funds to donate to a lot of bah Humbugs out there.

Why can't we donate for the totally unecessary - still I wish I could have been there when they did the 16hz LP demo that shook the room on mere sub 10 watt amps. I'm gonna try to go to the Vegas show in January - It's about the only way to get access to every company and their designers set-up the rooms - so no excuses. It'll cost me $1k for the trip I think and that's a lot for 3 days - yikes that's a componant or two.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    Sorry RGA,
    Santa only brings toys to good boys and girls and the last time he checked, you weren't on the right side of the ledger!
    Thanks but I have a girl to spank me when I'm bad - so that should not count against me - That should move me back to the black - err blue.

Damn it then if I can;t have that table then get me the lower TT3 - it's a suped up Voyd Reference.

This thread should probably be in the turntable forum - I just noticed that - d'ohh

Talking Guy's got the stones of a cat burgler...

I admire your spunk and your taste in presents. Hell, as my dad used to say, God rest his soul... "don't ask... can't git!!!!" Don't cost nothin' to ask... Who know's someone out here maybe having an acid flashback and... voila, instant ear candy...

Da Worfstrer

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    I'm looking for a new turntable - anyone want to donate to the needy RGA stereo fund - anyone with a RICH sister.

Here is what I want - the rest of the system would be nice too but I won't be greedy. Please include the Arm and cartridge though because they would cost more than some new cars. Seriously an 800 watt amplifier JUST to drive the turntable motors --- I love it this stuff can get mondo nutso http://www.hornet.hr/pages/WNMilan_AN.htm
    Fuggedaboutit! A Lirpa Labs Steam Powered Turntable is what you need. Now, a few people who have made negative comments who have obviously never used one, but you can see from the from the positive comments on the many different models that there is literally no turntable like it!

http://www.audioreview.com/TurnTable...3_1597crx.aspx
    "Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ------Heraclitus of Ephesis (fl. 504-500 BC), trans. Wheelwright.

Forum Regular

Wait a minute, RGA...

I thought you recently got your vinyl rig running "smoothly"at this point?

Before you NEED (yeah, right...) the next, best table, I would look at your phono pre and/or cart. I understand your post is a bit in gest, but honestly I thing you would get more out of your Rega (with a better cart) AND a decent phono pre as compared to a killer table (take your pick) with a low-fi phono pre. What we have is "decent", not great - the built-ins. I have borrowed the Audio Research PH-1 (O.K., it's $2000) but this transformed my LP playback... as soon as I feel not so cheap.

I suppose my ideas are about "balance" and not the out-doing one component... I recently was flabbergasted about a friend (err, friend of a friend) putting a $3000 front door on a house that is valued at less than $200K (that needs a LOT of other work). Maybe a poor analogy, but you get the drift.

You might also be suprised about the "diminishing returns" thing...lol.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Jimmy - yes I subscribe to the AN Level approach system - hearing it in person was a nice lesson on mismatch - shame most will never hear it.

The entry AN TT1 is the route I will likely go - it's not that expensive - the TT2 I think is $1400.00 more and is a three point system I think? I may give it a go - my dealer has been carrying Linn for dacades and says the TT2 is right there at a fraction of the price. This is the one I want to give a serious audition to along with my table and the decked out LINN - I also really liked the Project Debut II whcih sounded faster and punchier and more lively than my stock NAD ever did. They are all seemingly GOOD turntables at Soundhounds - But I want the best i can get and afford. I hate making upgrades continuously - this table can only go so far. The TT2 is the same level as the OTO SE and the J Spe - so I'm going for an alignment.

None of this makes sense to people not in tune with their approach so I may as well be speaking another language I know. I happen to meet this guy that last time I was in the shop and we spent a few hours listening to some of the equipment I reviewed in that three page reviews section. He appears to have nearly identical taste to me - he's a smart guy obviously

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?...36400&review=1

Canuck!
    They are all seemingly GOOD turntables at Soundhounds - But I want the best i can get and afford. I hate making upgrades continuously - this table can only go so far. The TT2 is the same level as the OTO SE and the J Spe - so I'm going for an alignment.
    This is what i need.. a TT. Thinking about getting one from soundhounds. What's the best they have there for under $500CDN?

Gershman Acoustics X-1/SW-1 / Odyssey Stratos Extreme Monoblocks / Edge Electronics Si-1m Preamplifier / Sony DVP-NC555ES Transport Modded Caps and Opamps / Pro-Ject Debut II with Shure M97xE / Carver TX-11 Tuner / SonoCable and Harmonic Tech Cabling / Monster Power HTS1000 MKII / Monster Power HTS3500 MKII / Audio Note AN-K/Spe / Radii MSKT88 Monoblocks / SonoSilence One / Akai Reference Master

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Project Debut II. Though when I upgrade I'll probably be trading mine in and it's in perfect shape - unfortunately that upgrade is a long way off for me.

Canuck!
    You're using a Project Debut II? Sweet. Googling says discontinued the Debut II? Are there used ones there or...?

Gershman Acoustics X-1/SW-1 / Odyssey Stratos Extreme Monoblocks / Edge Electronics Si-1m Preamplifier / Sony DVP-NC555ES Transport Modded Caps and Opamps / Pro-Ject Debut II with Shure M97xE / Carver TX-11 Tuner / SonoCable and Harmonic Tech Cabling / Monster Power HTS1000 MKII / Monster Power HTS3500 MKII / Audio Note AN-K/Spe / Radii MSKT88 Monoblocks / SonoSilence One / Akai Reference Master

RGA
    Forum Regular
    No
    I am using a NAD 533 with a shure M97xE cartridge. The NAD 533 is a Rega 2 made by Rega for NAD. The NAD was cheaper and came with a cartridge so it was an easy choice but doesn;t have the big Rega name.

I heard the project at Soundhounds and I feel it's better than the NAD 533 with the NAD stock Goldring cartridge. I believe the Project is cheaper too. But remember two different cartridges. The Project I think uses an Ortifon while the NAD a cheapo goldring...so the NAD still may be a better Deck all things being equal - can't say.

Rega P2 is around $500.00 but no cart.

It is a pain to go all the way to Sounhounds. Because my dad passed away and my mother doesn't drive she will sell the vehicle - because I went back to school for a career change they were room mating with me(only a year and a few months to go). So no vehicle for me - I'd rather take the bus and buy Audio Note than buy a car - seriously as odd as that sounds is where my priorities are.

Canuck!
    Cool. i'm checking audioeden right now. there are a couple of p2's on there, but one is the old one without the glass platter. i like the glass platter. There's also a Debut II on there.. pretty cheap too.

I just grabbed a stack of LPs and an old and crappy Toshiba packaged system Turntable from my parents place when i drove down there on the weekend. They never used it much, and i snagged some decent Classical LPs including a Rubenstein Chopin one. Unfortunately the Toshiba sucks goat parts and just crackles. I also have no phono stage at the moment, but tried running it through my NAD 1130 Preamp i had in the bedroom. I just sold that yesterday so i have no phono stage anymore. Thinking about a bottlehead seduction, i am.

Sorry to hear about your dad and your living situation... but like you said, only a year and a few months to go! If you don't mind me asking, what are you taking at Mal?

Hey if you ever wanna head down to soundhounds on a weekend, and you don't mind meetin' a scary weirdo from the net, we can head down together.. i do drive (which is why i dont own audio note ) I usually head down to Vic with my girlfriend (she has family there) but lately she's working a lot and going to school full time.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Your toshiba may only need a new needle - even so you could try that used store across from A&B Sound or Fascinating Rythms - they may have a good cheap used turntable - they had a good old Thorens in there a while ago. The P2 comes with a HDF platter like the NAD 533. Glass is curious because it rings - but hey I liked the P3 so I can't say much against it.

You could try the Little Rat phono stage from Radio Shack - ~$49.00. I have one and it's quite good noise free - dirt cheap. I'm saving for the OTO SE and TT2 These two run about $5kCdn - so as you can tell it's a LOOOOOOONG ways off since gee I need a job. Well I have a job tutoring ESL - just started - pays well $20.87 an hour - but only 3 hours a week LOL

I'm studying to be a teacher - I'm in year 5 and finished the B.A. part of it - end Next Christmas. There's a teacher at Barsby I think who I met at Soundhounds too - he recently trded his Totem Mani-2(Man these things are $5300.00Cdn??) for the AN-E -- hey there is hope a teacher can afford something - i bet his wife makes the real money

I drive just no car pretty soon - so it's a pain in the arse. There is a bus that does a return trip for $40.00 so I can audition it there and have them ship it to me. Meeting people from the net - man what are the odds there would be two people on this forum from Nanaimo? Crazy.

What's your girlfriend taking?

I think you'll like the NAD or the Project as good starter decks. The NAD works very nicely with the Shure Cart and they are not too much money. It's actually pretty tough to meet audiophiles in the "Real World" most of my friends could care less about audio.

Canuck!
    My Toshiba uses a T4P (???) Cartridge.. i saw some around, but i wasn't sure if they fit, looks a bit different. My Toshiba is a crappy old belt drive turntable that's all plastic, i dunno.. maybe it is just the needle. i dunno anythign about turntables other than i REALLY like the sense of ease that i hear from the music coming out of it.

Actually i almost bought the old NAD TT in that old shop... Sound Heritage Music. THe old guy in there is really cool He's not that old, but y'know... I was thinking just spending the $75 on that old NAD might be better.. it has a new Ortofon stylus on it so it should sound decent... The guy told me they had a nice thorens in there but someone bought it like after only having it for a couple weeks

The totem Mani's are so overpriced.. i think it might be because its one of the original models or something so they have to keep them expensive... maybe the Dynaaudio drivers? I found the Rainmakers much better value. Probably the only reasonably priced Totem.

You're right.. its pretty nuts 2 doods from Nanaimo of all places running into each other in a relatively small forum.. .haha. None.. NONE of my friends are audiophiles... lots of them in Nanaimo are into making music and love pro-audio gear... and find themselves at home at Arbutus music, but none really care about reproduction, just recording.

You're taking teaching? Cool... one of my girlfriend's friends is taking teaching.. her name is Harpreet. Acutally a few of her friends are... she's taking uhm... History.. and Psych.. Arts stuff. Not sure what else she wants to go for though.

$40 for a return trip on the bus? dood that is almost as much as Gas costs me to drive out there... O_O not bad.. but damn,.. the AN/E's are expensive speakers.. i guess teachers to make enough to pay for audionote. you're in a good profession

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Harpreet - name rings a bell because one of my minors is history - You know it's pretty sad I'm staying with a double minor but if I stayed an extra year I could have five minors. I've been going to school since 1992. Most of the time I was taking one or two night courses a semester while working in accounting. But accounting was too dry and the business mentality I dunno - but it seemed like it was all about the dollar(which gee it was) and it didn't seem to enlightening.

Teaching is by far the lowest paying profession (well unless there are no name professions i'm not familiar with) out there. 5.5 years you start at $40k and can make a max $58K after 12 years. Heck I was an uneducated accounts Payable clerk making $42K.

And an accountant I knew after the CGA program started at $55k and skies the limit.

Still I'm not a car guy and I don;t really care about how big the home is - Really stero equipment even if you want a high end one is not that expensive - even if you spend $20k on a two channel stereo - hell you can spend $20k on a Dodge Neon??? So I'd rather the Audio Note system and walk.

Canuck!
    ouch.. Teaching is capped at $58K? hmm.. i guess that's not too bad if you are living in Nanaimo.

Another person i think in the teaching program there at Mal is Leslie... I think she is closer to finishing than Harpreet is. I personally dropped out of UBC several years ago. just wasn't my thing. I like doing business. I want to get into buying property and stuff.

i'm pretty addicted to audio, but i have an unfortunately addictive personality so i want it all.. need the car, nice house, an billion hobbies, one of which is audio I like the DIY aspect of the hobby... keeps me from spending too much. Which reminds me.. i just finished building my Passive Preamp last night... built with Noble Pot, Audio Note Tantalum Resistors, Riken Resistors, good chassis mount RCAs and a fat Brass knob all in an extruded Aluminum Hammond Case. All wiring is 24AWG Silver plated Copper. All for about $55CDN i think i built it. It sounds good too... Seems to sound better than the ones that i paid $125US+ For.

You are right about stereo equipment not really costing that much in the end.. i mean, my stereo only cost me probably a tiny fraction of what my car is worth, and even less of what my house is worth... I guess cars and houses are almost considered necessities in this day and age. My buddy bought a house on zero DP and has like no money for toys, and has to raise 2 kids and he's only 27. I would have trouble with that.

Thread Information