PBJ
    AR Newbie Registered Member

Infinity speakers

I was given an audio system with a pair of Infinity studio monitor 150 with 15" woofers. The foam around the woofer cone is falling out, but the cones are good. Is it worth having them redone?
    Thanks in advance.

Chicago IL
    What is the exact model of them?

For 15" woofers and 150W of power in my opinion it is worth fixing them! It won't cost you much to buy the foam kit and there is always the option to do the foam yourself!

Speakers do not have power! Speakers use power. Most power ratings for speakers are absolutely worthless and useless.
    Ex:
    Saying a speaker is a "150 Watt" speaker means just about nothing. One could use a 300WPC amp on it for damn near forever as long as it's not overdriven. You could use a pair of Mac 1000 Watt mono blocks under the same conditions. Actually, an amp with more power is better in almost every instance. There is a good reason why better speakers don't use mid-fi type wattage ratings. They mean just about nothing.

With that said; I would re-foam them. It doesn't cost much and is an easy fun project.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Suspended
    The 150, or SM-150, is the model not the watts. I'd say if the parts in the crossovers are good and cabinet decent then it's worth having them reconed.

The Studio Monitor series was my least favorite but they far out sold the RS or Kappa in the place I worked. They were Infinity's Disco/R&R speaker line. The SM-150 is 105 db efficient so it will play loud as hell with not much power. You should also notice adjustment controls on front for tweeter and midrange. I don't remember the power handling. I think original retail was around $800.00 give or take.

Charm Thai™
    I demo'd the 150's for a week about 15 years ago and they were fine for what they were built for. If you can find a cheap refoam kit for a 15 inch woofer you may as well give it a shot but i would not spend too much if you have to pay someone refoam them for you.

Here is one source for the kit. I'm sure you could find others though.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=260-935
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    Yeah, it's not like the SM series are some classic gem. Depending on how much he already has in them a $50.00 or less kit per speaker wouldn't be bad, he's not going to buy anything better for that.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    I agree, re-foam those badboys.

Here is a thread on how to DIY from a little known site called audioreview, excellent and easy instructions...

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=5371

PBJ
    Thanks for all the info. Along with the speakers I was also given a,

Yamaha Natural Sound stereo control amp C-85
    " " " am/fm tuner T-85
    " " " power amp M-85

After I get the speakers fixed, it looks like it will easy to annoy the neighbors!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PBJ
    Thanks for all the info. Along with the speakers I was also given a,

Yamaha Natural Sound stereo control amp C-85
    " " " am/fm tuner T-85
    " " " power amp M-85

After I get the speakers fixed, it looks like it will easy to annoy the neighbors!!!
    Just don't park on their lawn while having parties. (although, inviting them, often avoids the hastle)
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    Some one set you up pretty nice. Even if the speakers don't work out or you don't like them the electronics are good and you can always upgrade the speakers.

I just refoamed a set. They were totally open inside so I put some fiberfill in the tops, crisscrossed some 2x2's both side to side and front to back and them put some eggcarton foam rubber on the rest of the flat walls internally and I think the bass sounds a lot better on mine now.
    SGC

jvc
    There are quite a few videos on you tube on refoaming speakers. Check them out. They may help.........
    http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...speakers&aq=0m
    Good luck!

I need to do the same thing to a pair of Allisons I have.
    1080p Samsung HL61A750 LED DLP
    Onkyo TX-SR805 receiver
    Oppo BDP-83 blu ray player
    Polk Audio LSi9 front speakers
    Polk Audio LSiC center speaker
    Sony SS-MB100H rear speakers
    SVS PC12-NSD powered subwoofer
    Pioneer PL-514 turntable
    Logitech Harmony 628 Universal Remote

Thread Information