Infinity Kappa help!!!!

Printable View

• 12-13-2009, 11:36 AM
    crhoover
    Infinity Kappa help!!!!
    HELP!!! I have a pair of Infinity Kappa Series II that I purchased back in 1998. I used these for my main left and right channels mostly for home theater use. The mid range on both of them blew and I need to know if these are worth fixing. Since I have no clue as to what speaker would work best, I would appreciate any and all help.
  • 12-13-2009, 12:18 PM
    harley .guy07
    Well it depends. If you really like these speakers and the other drivers are in good shape they might be worth saving baring you can find a midrange driver that will work in these speakers as well or better than the stock ones. I am not sure which actual models of the series 2 kappa's you have but if I knew I might be able to do some research on specs and driver setups/crossover setups and I could probably tell you if it would be a viable option to keep these speakers and replace the midrange drivers. I in fact have modified several speakers from the 80's and 90's with different drivers and crossover components or changes/additions and have made some of these speakers perform far beyond the level that they started with in stock form. But I need to know model and specs to go off of.
  • 12-13-2009, 12:21 PM
    audio amateur
    How did you manage to blow them?
    My suggestion would be to give them a call and ask for if they have original replacements.
    If not well I'd go with Harley's suggestion but finding a correct match may be tricky.
  • 12-13-2009, 12:41 PM
    crhoover
    Thank you for answering me so quickly!
    They are the Infinity Kappa 6.1.
  • 12-13-2009, 01:15 PM
    Geoffcin
    Quote:

Originally Posted by crhoover
    HELP!!! I have a pair of Infinity Kappa Series II that I purchased back in 1998. I used these for my main left and right channels mostly for home theater use. The mid range on both of them blew and I need to know if these are worth fixing. Since I have no clue as to what speaker would work best, I would appreciate any and all help.

I would try to repair them, the Infinty Kappa's were highly regarded in their day. You can often find replacement drivers on Ebay.