• 03-06-2004, 08:09 AM
    Pete_in_Bkk
    I need cheapish stand alone speakers but with BASS
    Hi All,
    I'm still tearing my hair out trying to decide what speakers to buy .... I've got about 3-400 dollars to play with, and the only thing that I require is that it can handle bass, as I only listen to Hip Hop music (hey we all have our faults)

Anyway I have cut it down to these speakers, my top choice at the moment is the Mordaunt Short MS906 which are about $300 here in Thailand , the only thing is in some reviews I have read, it says the bass in not the best, any other opinions ???
    Other speakers are
    Polk Audio R50
    Mission M73I
    Kef Cresta 30

Anyway any ideas on some cheapish stand alone speakers, and bear in mind I'm in Thailand so we only have the bigger brand named speakers ...

Thanks in advance
    Peter
  • 03-06-2004, 08:57 AM
    cam
    Cerwin Vega speakers have been known over the years to be a bass rich speaker. But I have heard that this bassy characteristic quality makes it muddy sounding. For hip hop music this should not be a problem but for jazz, classical, or even rock music you could do better with other brands.
  • 03-06-2004, 09:07 AM
    Worf101
    Cheap, loud and deep???
    DCM KX-12 and you absolutely cannot blow them up. I know 2 teenagers that have tried for 3 years now... really tried and they've gotten nowhere... Trust me, this I know....

Da Worfster
  • 03-06-2004, 11:42 AM
    markw
    Wow, that's a hard one...
    It was wise of you to mention where you are from. The problem with this forum is that not every speaker is available in every market. So, I can recommend a speaker that may never ever see your local dealers, or even your mailbox.

If you can get 'em ,and they still make 'em, I'd go along with that DCM recommendation. Big, loud, bassy party speakers. .. .but one of the best of their class. Coulda have been a staple in many college dorms a few years ago.

A more modern speaker line from Canada might serve you well, if you can get them. Check out http://www.athenaspeakers.com and see if anything interests you. They are getting pretty good press over here (USA) and I have 'em and can whole heartedly recomend them for their price range. If mail order is an option, http://www.audioadvisor.com sells them. Of course, this might mitigate any price savings when shipping and whatever import taxes your country slaps you with.

Let us know what you settle on.
  • 03-06-2004, 01:53 PM
    zapr
    ..........you could check the review section on this forum and see what others have to say about the speakers you listed......Zapr.