Suspended

I have a possibility...

...of being able to free up a little money for a pair of floor-standing speakers that will be used in a music-only stereo configuration. I have narrowed my choices to the following:

Monitor Audio Silver RS6 $1100.00 a pair
    Revel Concerto F12 $1498.00 a pair
    PSB Imagine T $2000.00 a pair

The speakers will be mated (for now) with a NAD T763 receiver and a NAD C542 cd player. I hope to go the integrated amplifier route sometime in the future, but for now this is it. My room is 9' x 15' and is well damped with carpeting and heavy drapes. I do not want to use either of my subwoofers, as I can't seem to get as good an integration between the speakers and the sub as I'd like.

My question is this: if this were your choice and your upstream components, which pair of speakers would you select?

Ajani
    All excellent choices... I love the RS6 and F12 (never auditioned the Imagine T but have heard the Image and Platinum series)...

If I wanted the best Bass, I'd opt for the F12... But considering that you have NAD components I'd probably pick the RS6 to spice things up a bit (both the F12 and T are more neutral the RS6)...

I'd suggest auditioning all 3... anyone would be an excellent choice...

I just got my RS6 and am very happy after getting them hooked up to a not to bad amp.

You should be able to get them for much cheaper than 1100. I got mine for $850 off the site.

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speak...3_1594crx.aspx

If the PSB Imagine series is anything close to the PSB synchrony's. then I would go for it. A good friend of mine has the Synchrony's and they are great sounding speaker. In fact I was over at his house till 4am yesterday listening to music. Very tight deep bass, slightly warmer sounding and crisp treble.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    I have read that the Imagine T has a little less resolution than the Synchrony line but still retains most of it's virtues. There has been a lot of press to that effect, but I am still conflicted. There is no way (that I know of) to audition all three speakers side by side, and I am wondering if these old ears would hear $1000.00 worth of difference between the Imagine T and the RS6. I realize that these parameters are purely subjective, and I probably can't go wrong with any of the three choices. That's why I'm hoping that someone on this forum has heard one or more of these speakers powered by NAD electronics. I know that synergy between components is crucial to the overall experience, and I don't want to make an uninformed choice.

Here's hoping for a MA/PSB/Revel/NAD veteran. I know that's like wishing for a Las Vegas virgin, but hope springs eternal...

You can't go wrong with any of those speakers. My friend with the PSB's bought them online
    based solely on reviews. Based on the reviews of the PSB vs the RS6, I gather that the PSB may be a better sounding speaker, but thats all subjective.

I would include the Monitor Audio RS8's for $1700pr over the RS6's if you are considering $2K for the PSB's.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    You can't go wrong with any of those speakers. My friend with the PSB's bought them online
    based solely on reviews. Based on the reviews of the PSB vs the RS6, I gather that the PSB may be a better sounding speaker, but thats all subjective.

I would include the Monitor Audio RS8's for $1700pr over the RS6's if you are considering $2K for the PSB's.
    PSB and NAD should be fine... I heard the PSB Platinum M2s driven by NAD M3 Int and M5 CD and it was pretty impressive (not quite my cup of tea as I prefer a bit more excitement, hence Monitor Audio)....

As for the RS6 VS RS8... I 'd stick with the RS6... Many people (myself included) prefer the sound of the RS6.... The RS8 goes deeper but also tends to be rather obvious in the midbass (so unless you are a basshead, you might well prefer the RS6)... But I'd still suggest you audition both...

Suspended

Thanks to everyone...

...who contributed. Due to a downsizing at the school district where my wife works, I'm afraid our formerly Disposable Income has a new calling...keeping us from losing our house. I do appreciate the input and I will keep it in mind for when we win the lottery.

Thanks again!

Sorry to hear that Roy. Keep an eye on www.saturdayaudio.com for deals on Monitor Audio speakers and PSB's. They usually discount $200-500. I bought a pair of Monitor Audio S1's for $399 with a normal price of $650.

Also look at this place http://www.audiophileliquidator.net/...=&filter_id=73

They are not authorized dealers but you can buy at a big discount. I bought my Marantz 8001 SACDP from them and my friend bought PSB synchrony's from them with out problems. They have a no return policy except for broken or non working items.

Good Luck!
    Larry
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by RoyY51
    The speakers will be mated (for now) with a NAD T763 receiver and a NAD C542 cd player... I do not want to use either of my subwoofers, as I can't seem to get as good an integration between the speakers and the sub as I'd like....My question is this: if this were your choice and your upstream components, which pair of speakers would you select?
    Since I like throwing a monkey wrench into things, I'll suggest an alternative: leverage that which you already have, fix the integration issue directly and spend less money to get what might be better results. I also have a T763 and have achieved very neutral results with smaller satellite speakers and a pair of powered subs - using a third band EQ on the subs. The 763 is quite flexible on the high pass for the subs where I set mine to a higher setting than most - 120 hz - so that the EQ can address the room modes. My den has two significant peaks/valleys that I am able to correct without running the EQ full range and compromising the signal. I find that biamping does great because any potential bass clipping has zero affect on the majority of the sound. I would recommend choosing one of the two way monitor flavors of your excellent choices along with a pair of equalized subs.

rw

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    Since I like throwing a monkey wrench into things, I'll suggest an alternative: leverage that which you already have, fix the integration issue directly and spend less money to get what might be better results. I also have a T763 and have achieved very neutral results with smaller satellite speakers and a pair of powered subs - using a third band EQ on the subs. The 763 is quite flexible on the high pass for the subs where I set mine to a higher setting than most - 120 hz - so that the EQ can address the room modes. My den has two significant peaks/valleys that I am able to correct without running the EQ full range and compromising the signal. I find that biamping does great because any potential bass clipping has zero affect on the majority of the sound. I would recommend choosing one of the two way monitor flavors of your excellent choices along with a pair of equalized subs.

rw
    E-Stat: you mentioned a third band EQ on the subs as a way of taming room interaction. Sounds interesting. What type of equipment would I use to accomplish this, and how would I set it up? Oh, and most importantly, what would it cost?
    Last edited by RoyY51; 04-14-2009 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyY51
    What type of equipment would I use to accomplish this, and how would I set it up? Oh, and most importantly, what would it cost?
    You will need a couple of useful tools: Sound pressure meter, CD test disc, and equalizer. I use a Radio Shack digital SPL which can be purchased for about $50. Stereophile has test CDs for around $12. I use a Behringer FBQ3102 EQ which can be purchased for under $150.

The process is to measure your system characteristics so that you may optimize speaker placement, subwoofer level, receiver high pass crossover frequency and EQ settings. The objective of course is to get the most linear response in the primary listening area. Remember that while this works, it is not as advantageous as room correction which is a broader solution. By this I mean using bass traps, acoustic panels, etc.

Although this is an oversimplified explanation, virtually all rooms suffer from modes. They are frequencies that are either boosted or cut depending upon the dimensions of the room. Square rooms provide the greatest challenges since they tend to reinforce the effects and are more challenging to fix. In my den, there was a broad peak from 50 hz to 80 hz with an attendant null from 100 hz to 160 hz. Sometimes that can be alleviated through placement. Unfortunately, I had very little lattitude in this room. The EQ's job was to mirror those errors in order to flatten the response. Since the suckout was pretty profound, I was not entirely able to correct it, but I was able to completely remove the obnoxious peak.

rw
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I have a possibility...-eq.jpg  

Suspended

Wow!

You've obviously thought this through. Very impressive tutorial! I've already got the RatShack SPL meter so I just have to free up enough money for the disk and equalizer.

Thanks for the great advice!

Thread Information