Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    AR Newbie Registered Member
    Thank you to the both of you. I will do more investigating and get to the bottom of it.

Forum Regular
    Well thank all of you.I have learn so much from you guys.Im truly grateful.
    Last edited by D.G.; 04-04-2009 at 05:18 AM.

Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    Glad we could help D.G. Enjoy your system. Don't be a stranger. Take care.

Vindication At Last!

Just to prove that In fact I was not hallucinating after all:

From a GoodSound review on a HSU sub"

"..........high-level filter mode uses the subwoofer's crossover to subtract bass information from the signal that's seen by your main speakers. This is recommended if your speakers are miniature satellites with little or no bass output -- or even if they are larger monitors that sound compressed, or as though struggling when playing loud and bass-heavy music. In high-level filter mode, the speaker leads from your amplifier/receiver/integrated amp don't connect directly to the speakers. Instead, they connect to the "from amp" spring clip terminals of the sub. The adjacent "to speakers" terminals loop back to the speakers with a second pair of cables. This "in and out" scheme inserts the VTF-2's 6dB high-pass filter into the signal path and splits the amplifier signal into two parts: 90Hz and higher passes to the speakers, while everything below 90Hz remains with the subwoofer. This filtering action protects your satellites. They no longer attempt to reproduce low or mid bass but concentrate on what they're really designed for -- upper bass and higher. There's a second benefit: Bass-shy satellites will sound cleaner and more open and play louder without distortion if they don't "see" deep bass information..........."

From the owner's manual of an Anthony Gallo sub:

"..........6- HI LEVEL IN I HI LEVEL OUT: For connecting subwoofer to receivers or integrated amplifiers using speaker cables. To be used where Line Level outputs are not available, or where a"High Pass" filter (i.e.? to prevent low frequencies from reaching stereo speakers) is needed..........."

From Crutchfield on a Polk sub:

"..........Speaker Level Input/Output: The subwoofer has spring clips for the speaker level input and output. The subwoofer's low-pass filter takes frequencies (based on the setting of the filter) and passes a low-pass signal the subwoofer and a high-pass signal out to the speakers. This is the recommended method of connecting the subwoofer with a Polk Audio RM-series Home Theatre speaker package and other "satellite" speaker systems. You should set you receiver's front speaker setting to "Large".........."

From the Velodyne DSL-4000R owner's manual:

"..........HIGH PASS CROSSOVER Switch
    This switch selects the frequency for the high pass crossover.
    This crossover is functional on both line and speaker-level
    outputs. Smaller speakers with limited low frequency output may
    perform better using the higher 100 Hz setting that will reduce
    the low frequencies sent to them. Larger speakers with greater
    low frequency output may be able to handle the 80 Hz setting
    without strain..........."

Many of the newer subs don't even offer a high pass filter/high level out or low pass only high level out. There is less use for it anyway as times passes.

RR6

Hey.. Just gotta say....

RoadRunner, you are da man. Great information, clearly sent and simple enough that even a Klingon can understand it. Thanks.

Da Worfster

Nice work RR. I'll deliver the goods as soon as I can - "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to RoadRunner6 again."

Did you happen find any schematics? I'd like to add a speaker-level HPF to my near field system. I suppose it is just a series-wired capacitor and I'll just have to experiment to find the right value.

Thanks guys, but know that these are only from some subs, many which are older models. Many that do include the high pass filter are single or double frequency points only and not variable. It seems that the industry never really adressed the problem with a solution for bass managment for two channel systems with a sub, either in the pre amp/receiver or on the sub. Many subs don't in fact have a high pass filter on the speaker level outs.

Some speaker manufacturers of especially small bookshelf and satellite speakers actually included a high pass filter in the speaker to protect them. The original Energy Take 5 system included high pass filters.

With bass managment now on the low level outs from almost all pre amp/receivers this problem will soon be a thing of the past. Some of the extrenal bass management hardware like the Outlaw Audio ICBM, Paradigm X-20 and X-30 and inline highpass filters were born due to the lack of concern by the manufacturers.

ACI's comment might be of interest to Kevio (its all geek to me as I'm not a circuitry and schematic guy).

".......... Insert a 200mfd NON-polarized (100 volt or greater) capacitor in series with each main speaker. This is the function of the "speaker-outputs" on many powered subs. It will provide some low-bass roll-off to the main speakers but is not as linear as a line-level high-pass..........."

http://www.audioc.com/accessories1/misc/hipass.htm

RR6
    Last edited by RoadRunner6; 04-10-2009 at 11:07 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information