• 06-27-2006, 12:36 PM
    shokhead
    Then your not quite getting it. I feel for your receiver. Huff'n and puff'n and please put a fan on be,oh no another LFE. LOL.
    Sub helps out your receiver,makes your mains even better and its just plain fun if you have a good one.
  • 06-27-2006, 02:09 PM
    audio amateur
    Quote:

Originally Posted by emack27
    Well, yesterday I spent a considerable amount of time listening to my system with my Infinity Perfect sealed 10" sub hooked up and I noticed there were some bass notes that my Thor's either couldn't reproduce or couldn't reproduce as loud without the sub. So IMO a sub would be a worthy compliment to my system. Not that I really need a sub it's just that it would compliment the whole audio spectrum and I don't see why adding more speakers would hurt any system.

The infinity perfect is a start even thouh it is only 10inch. Get a good sub amplifier for it, a decently sized and well braced box, ported. It should give ok results.
  • 06-27-2006, 03:04 PM
    audio amateur
    Quote:

Originally Posted by shokhead
    Then your not quite getting it. I feel for your receiver. Huff'n and puff'n and please put a fan on be,oh no another LFE. LOL.
    Sub helps out your receiver,makes your mains even better and its just plain fun if you have a good one.

He ain't quite got a receiver, it'a a five channel amp...
  • 06-27-2006, 05:16 PM
    emack27
    Quote:

Originally Posted by audio amateur
    He ain't quite got a receiver, it'a a five channel amp...

Yeah. I don't have a Denon Receiver like you.
    My amp puts out far more watts than I need brother.300 w/channel RMS X 5 @ 4 ohms. The SOB weighs 90 lbs.
  • 06-28-2006, 05:34 AM
    shokhead
    My bad.
  • 06-28-2006, 07:47 AM
    audio amateur
    Quote:

My bad.

:p you don't have to be I was just pointing it out;)
  • 06-29-2006, 09:48 AM
    topspeed
    Thiele Small Calculations?
    Linear Excursions?
    Vibrational Effects?

Jeebus, you guys are putting waaaay too much thought into this.

You want to know when you have too much bass?

If the ceiling in your house is starting to cave in...you have too much bass.

If you suddenly have an involuntary bowel movement in your Underoos...you have too much bass.

If you girlfriend is constantly having orgasms...and you're in the other room spinning tunes...you have too much bass.

If the neighbors have sent over a large gentleman with a Louisville Slugger named Guido to "talk to you"...you have too much bass

If you don't have any leaves on your trees...in June...you have too much bass

If you have to wear glasses when listening to music, even though you have 20/20 vision...you have too much bass

If you notice the 8" hole in your back where the voicecoil shot through it...you have too much bass

If you have the shakes, but haven't had a drink in years...you have too much bass

Finally...

If your Persian cat now looks like this
    http://absolutelycats.tripod.com/ZSphynxExoticats.jpg
    you have too much bass!
  • 06-29-2006, 10:18 PM
    emack27
    "If you girlfriend is constantly having orgasms...and you're in the other room spinning tunes...you have too much bass..."
    LMFAO
    No wonder I'm not gettin any action?
  • 06-30-2006, 04:16 AM
    audio_dude
    LMAO, great stuff...

but to me, there is NO such thing as TOO much bass!!!
  • 06-30-2006, 05:08 AM
    Geoffcin
    Well....
    Quote:

Originally Posted by audio_dude
    LMAO, great stuff...

but to me, there is NO such thing as TOO much bass!!!

I once had my two 15" Velodyne subs hooked up with two Axiom 12" EPI500 subs. That was pretty darn close to too much bass. (set off the car alarm, andf the car was parked in the driveway!)
  • 06-30-2006, 06:22 AM
    GMichael
    I would back off on the base when I see my windows crack.
  • 06-30-2006, 06:49 AM
    audio_dude
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GMichael
    I would back off on the base when I see my windows crack.

i'll let my windows explode before I think its too much bass!
  • 06-30-2006, 07:22 AM
    GMichael
    Quote:

Originally Posted by audio_dude
    i'll let my windows explode before I think its too much bass!

I went through too many windows. Had to adjust my thinking.
  • 06-30-2006, 12:58 PM
    JoeE SP9
    When you can stop a heart maybe then you have too much bass.
    http://www.wired.com/news/medtech/0,1286,64829,00.html
    :ihih:
  • 07-01-2006, 04:54 AM
    audio amateur
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    When you can stop a heart maybe then you have too much bass.
    http://www.wired.com/news/medtech/0,1286,64829,00.html
    :ihih:

Interesting read.
  • 07-01-2006, 04:55 AM
    audio amateur
    I'd be thankful if someone could give me a small list of abreviations often used in this forum and their meaning, thanks.
  • 07-01-2006, 04:57 AM
    audio amateur
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    I once had my two 15" Velodyne subs hooked up with two Axiom 12" EPI500 subs. That was pretty darn close to too much bass. (set off the car alarm, andf the car was parked in the driveway!)

What kind of tunes where you spinning?
  • 07-01-2006, 05:12 AM
    Geoffcin
    Well, it was only a test
    Quote:

What kind of tunes where you spinning?

Basically the Chesky 5.1 DVD-Audio sampler, and the Stereophile test CD. I was NOT able to bring it up to max output simply because everything in the room/house/neighborhood/area code was vibrating in sympathy. Still I managed a respectable ~114dB or so at 30hz at my listening position. (I really think we could have gotten a 120dB reading)!
  • 07-01-2006, 05:50 AM
    audio amateur
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    Basically the Chesky 5.1 DVD-Audio sampler, and the Stereophile test CD. I was NOT able to bring it up to max output simply because everything in the room/house/neighborhood/area code was vibrating in sympathy. Still I managed a respectable ~114dB or so at 30hz at my listening position. (I really think we could have gotten a 120dB reading)!

very nice;) wish I had a dB meter...
  • 07-01-2006, 06:36 AM
    Geoffcin
    That's easy
    Quote:

very nice;) wish I had a dB meter...

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

A great thing to have!
  • 07-01-2006, 09:59 AM
    basite
    for me, to much bass is when you think the neigbhours are bashing your head but they aren't really there, instead their bashing your walls but you don't care because you don't hear it, also too much bass is when you create so much vibration that your 12kg amp is vibrating of your desk and your cat is running away from the speaker (which is unusual because they seem to be too stupid to know where the sound comes from), if you go outside and you realize that your house is the only house still standing straight, you also have to much bass, when your 110 year old grandma is shaking her ass in front of you, you also have too much bass, if you start to move automatticly everytime there is a base sound, you should turn it down,

after having all that sead, here comes my musical opinion: you have too much bass when you don't hear anything else then bass in a song, or if your sound gets disturbed by some ugly extremly low base sound
  • 07-01-2006, 11:42 AM
    JoeE SP9
    Quote:

I'd be thankful if someone could give me a small list of abreviations often used in this forum and their meaning, thanks.

Which ones are you talking about?:cool:
  • 07-01-2006, 01:09 PM
    Florian
    <table border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1" width="450"> <tbody><tr><td class="c5" valign="top">*</td> <td valign="top">your actions in the third person, i.e. " *goes to your site"</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top"><3</td> <td valign="top">Love, i.e. "I <3 New York" (looks like a sideways heart)</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top"><!--3</td-->
    </td><td valign="top">Broken Heart / Hearted, i.e. "She left me and I'm <!--3"</td--> </td></tr> <tr> <td valign="top">adn</td> <td valign="top">Any Day Now</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">afk</td> <td valign="top">Away From Keyboard</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">afn</td> <td valign="top">that's All For Now</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">amf

ar
    </td> <td valign="top">Adios Mother F_cker

Apogees Rule
    </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="c5" valign="top">asap</td> <td valign="top">As Soon As Possible</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="c5" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top">asl?, a/s/l</td> <td valign="top">what's your Age, Sex, and Location?</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="c5" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top">atm</td> <td valign="top">At The Moment</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">b4</td> <td valign="top">Before</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">bbl</td> <td valign="top">Be Back Later</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="c5" valign="top">bc, b/c</td> <td valign="top">Because</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="c5" valign="top">bf</td> <td valign="top">Boyfriend</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">bfd</td> <td valign="top">Big F_ckin Deal</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">bfn</td> <td valign="top">Bye For Now</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="c5" valign="top">brb</td> <td valign="top">Be Right Back</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">btdt</td> <td valign="top">Been There, Done That</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="c5" valign="top">btw</td> <td valign="top">By The Way</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">cu</td> <td valign="top">See You</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="c5" valign="top">cya</td> <td valign="top">See Ya</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">d/w</td> <td valign="top">Don't Worry</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="c5" valign="top">dl, d/l</td> <td valign="top">Download, Downloading; ALSO "down low"</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">eg</td> <td valign="top">Evil Grin</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">emsg</td> <td valign="top">Email Message</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">f2f</td> <td valign="top">Face To Face</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">fts</td> <td valign="top">F_ck That Sh_t!!</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">fyi</td> <td valign="top">For Your Information</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">gal</td> <td valign="top">Get A Life</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="c5" valign="top">gf</td> <td valign="top">Girlfriend</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">gg, g/g</td> <td valign="top">Gotta Go</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">gl</td> <td valign="top">Good Luck</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">gmta</td> <td valign="top">Great Minds Think Alike</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">gr</td> <td valign="top">Gotta Run</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="c5" valign="top">gtg, g2g</td> <td valign="top">Got To Go, Gotta Go</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">gtsy</td> <td valign="top">Glad To See You</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="c5" valign="top">h&k</td> <td valign="top">a Hug and a Kiss</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="c5" valign="top">h/o</td> <td valign="top">Hold On</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">hb</td> <td valign="top">Hurry Back</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="c5" valign="top">hfs!</td> <td valign="top">Holy F_ckin Sh_t!!</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="c5" valign="top">hw</td> <td valign="top">Homework</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">ianal</td> <td valign="top">I Am Not A Lawyer but...</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="c5" valign="top">idk</td> <td valign="top">I Don't Know</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="c5" valign="top">im</td> <td valign="top">Instant Message</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">imho</td> <td valign="top">In My Humble Opinion</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">imo</td> <td valign="top">In My Opinion</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">irl</td> <td valign="top">In Real Life</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="c5" valign="top">jk, j/k</td> <td valign="top">Just Kidding</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">jtlyk</td> <td valign="top">Just To Let You Know</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">jw</td> <td valign="top">Just Wondering</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="c5" valign="top">k, kk</td> <td valign="top">Okay, alright</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">kit</td> <td valign="top">Keep In Touch</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="c5" valign="top">l8r</td> <td valign="top">Later (Goodbye)</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="c5" valign="top">lmao</td> <td valign="top">Laughing My Ass Off</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="c5" valign="top">lmfao</td> <td valign="top">Laughing My F_ckin Ass Off</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="c5" valign="top">lol</td> <td valign="top">Laughing Out Loud</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">ltns</td> <td valign="top">Long Time No See</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">lyl</td> <td valign="top">Love Ya Lots!</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">lylab</td> <td valign="top">Love Ya Like A Brother</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">lylas</td> <td valign="top">Love Ya Like A Sister</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="c5" valign="top">mwa</td> <td valign="top">a Kiss (the sound "mwa")</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">nc, n/c</td> <td valign="top">No Comment</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">nfl</td> <td valign="top">Not F_cking Likely!!</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="c5" valign="top">nfw!</td> <td valign="top">No F_cking Way!!</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="c5" valign="top">nm, n/m</td> <td valign="top">Never Mind</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="c5" valign="top">np</td> <td valign="top">No Problem</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="c5" valign="top">ns</td> <td valign="top">No Sh_t!</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="c5" valign="top">nvm</td> <td valign="top">Never Mind</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="c5" valign="top">oic</td> <td valign="top">Oh, I See</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">ol</td> <td valign="top">Old Lady (wife, girlfriend)</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">om</td> <td valign="top">Old Man (husband, boyfriend)</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="c5" valign="top">omg!</td> <td valign="top">Oh My Gosh!, Oh My God!</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">otp</td> <td valign="top">On The Phone</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="c5" valign="top">pal</td> <td valign="top">Parents Are Listening</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">pita</td> <td valign="top">Pain In The Ass</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="c5" valign="top">pls, plz</td> <td valign="top">Please</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="c5" valign="top">pm</td> <td valign="top">Private Message</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">pmfji</td> <td valign="top">Pardon Me For Jumping In</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="c5" valign="top">pos</td> <td valign="top">Parent Over Shoulder</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="c5" valign="top">ppl</td> <td valign="top">People, i.e. "lotsa ppl do that"</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="c5" valign="top">qt</td> <td valign="top">Cutie</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">r</td> <td valign="top">Are, i.e. "what r u doin tonite?"</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">rl</td> <td valign="top">Real Life</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="c5" valign="top">rofl</td> <td valign="top">Rolling On Floor Laughing</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="c5" valign="top">roflmao</td> <td valign="top">Rolling On Floor Laughing My Ass Off</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">rtfm</td> <td valign="top">Read The F_ckin Manual!! (read the instructions, notes, etc.)</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">sb</td> <td valign="top">Smiles Back</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">so</td> <td valign="top">Significant Other</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">sol</td> <td valign="top">Sh_t Out of Luck</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">sos</td> <td valign="top">Same Old Sh_t</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">srsly</td> <td valign="top">Seriously</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">sry</td> <td valign="top">Sorry</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">stfu</td> <td valign="top">Shut The F_ck Up</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="c5" valign="top">sup?</td> <td valign="top">What's up? or Wassup? (a greeting)</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">sys</td> <td valign="top">See You Soon</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">ta</td> <td valign="top">Thanks Again</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="c5" valign="top">thx</td> <td valign="top">Thanks</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="c5" valign="top">ttfn</td> <td valign="top">Ta Ta For Now</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="c5" valign="top">ttyl</td> <td valign="top">Talk To You Later</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="c5" valign="top">ty</td> <td valign="top">Thank You</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="c5" valign="top">tyt</td> <td valign="top">Take Your Time (common reply to brb)</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="c5" valign="top">u</td> <td valign="top">You</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">ul, u/l</td> <td valign="top">Upload or Uploading</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">ur</td> <td valign="top">Your</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">vn</td> <td valign="top">Very Nice</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="c5" valign="top">w.e</td> <td valign="top">Whatever</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="c5" valign="top">w/e</td> <td valign="top">Whatever</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="c5" valign="top">wb</td> <td valign="top">Welcome Back</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="c5" valign="top">weg</td> <td valign="top">Wicked Evil Grin</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="c5" valign="top">wtf?</td> <td valign="top">What The F_ck?</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">wtgp?</td> <td valign="top">Want To Go Private? (go to a private room)</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">wth?</td> <td valign="top">What The Heck? or What The Hell?</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">wts?</td> <td valign="top">What's That Sh_t? or What The Sh_t?</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="c5" valign="top">xoxo</td> <td valign="top">Hugs and Kisses (X's are kisses and O's are hugs)</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">ybs</td> <td valign="top">You'll Be Sorry</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">yt?</td> <td valign="top">You There?</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="c5" valign="top">yw</td> <td valign="top">Your Welcome</td></tr></tbody> </table>
  • 07-01-2006, 03:04 PM
    shokhead
    You forgot JH Jackhole for jackass/a$$hole
  • 07-01-2006, 03:16 PM
    Florian
    Quote:

You forgot JH Jackhole for jackass/a$$hole

aaaaah