• 03-06-2004, 07:03 AM
    drlazybones
    $729 for VR2??? WHERE!
    Boston VR2 ($729) - Not bad, in fact good, just wasn't moved as much as with the Kef or C5. And don't like the cabinet as much either.

Dude, where did you find that! I'm there - I'm a Boston head, I'll admit it...

Last I checked, these were selling at Tweeter for about $425 a pop - that's more like $900 after tax. I could care less if the box isn't pretty, the SOUND is gorgeous...
  • 03-06-2004, 11:54 AM
    acqui
    Forgive me for sounding like the novice I am but what happened to the response to the poster's original question? As someone who enjoys music and also looking at movies in a good HT system, I am always in awe at those who claim to be "audiophiles" Case in point....I was in an audio store here in NYC yesterday listening to some of the very speakers the poster is inquiring about. I happened to have walked into another room they had set up for music and had a pair of Infinity Kappa 400 floorstanding towers playing, driven by an HK 7500 receiver. To my ears, I thought these speakers sounded beautifully compared some of the others the dealer was trying to "sell" me. He wasn't pushy but more condescending in his tone when explaining what "true audiophile" sound was. To my ears, I couldn't really tell a significant difference between some of the speakers costing 2-3 times as much as the Infinity (PSB and Paradigm's mid to top line) But yet the salesman kept insisting that what I was hearing and what true audiophile sound was were completely different. I don't think there is anything wrong with those who wish to spend multiple thousands of dollars on a pair of speakers but my ears have yet to find a significant enough difference in speakers costing $2-3k and speakers costing 3-4 times as much. In terms of looks and perhaps build quality, I can understand but my parents have Ohm Walshes and I have to admit, I have yet to hear speakers that are their equal in their price range or exceeding it. Personally I don't like speakers that sound "tinny" and I suppose the metallic tweeters are partially responsible for that? I am not sure but perhaps someone could clarify that. And if anyone has listened to the Ohm Walsh speakers, are there any other brands out there that are close in sound to these speakers? I'd like to perhaps get something similar sounding because the Walsh speakers are quite large. With regards to the original poster, I think the B &W speakers are quite good compared to some of the others you mentioned, though all of them have their own nuances but in the end, you should always audition them personally.
  • 03-07-2004, 10:08 AM
    psonic
    Guys, I finally got over to my nearest Dynaudio dealer to hear the Audience 62. After listening to the Vienna Bachs ($1050 display) and then last week the Totem Staff ($1200 display) and I was prepared to stretch a little on the $$ as the sound of the under $1K speakers all sounded mid-fi in comparison, IMO. For example the $995 Monitor audio silver floorstander (not sure of model, but 2 6" woofers) lost in every category to these except bass, but they were bloated and boomy. Well the Dynes offered the most bass of the 3 (I don't use a sub), and sounded just as wonderful everywhere else...in particular, female vocals from Natalie Merchant's Tigerlilly were rendered better than I have heard in this price range. The speakers just dissapear into a huge soundstage, and no bass bloat or boxiness to speak of. The only downside is the cabinet is not a veneer like the Vienna & Totem, I guess the money went to the drivers. The cabinet does however seem extremely well made and solid; the finish is the best non-wood I have seen.

Final thoughts on my auditions-
    If anyone is shopping a floorstander in the $1k range and likes a natural, uncolored, audiophile sound, with good bass and a large involving soundstage..do yourself a favor and listen to Dynaudio Audience 62, Totem Staff and Vienna Acoustics Bach (on clearance at all Tweeter stores). These are a downright steal when you look at how good they sound compared to the pricey stuff, like Sonus Faber. I highly recommend all three, they all have different strenghts and few outright weaknesses and all have a sweet sound and silk tweeter. They moved me.

For $600 - $800 (and $800 is a stretch as your sooooo close to the others) I did like the Energy C5 & Kef Q5.

I'd like to thank you for all your feedback and advice. I bought a pair of Dynaudio Audience 60s from audiogon.com, realizing there is risk involved, but a great savings too. As part of the deal, he paid for shipping too! Here they are:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ull&1082597411

My understanding is they sound very similar to the 62, so I doubt I will be dissapointed if they arrive intact. Though worst case, they are insured in the shipping.
  • 03-07-2004, 03:22 PM
    Jimmy C
    Congrats!
    Dynaudio does make fine speakers. I'm not familiar with that exact model, but the Audience line is indeed swell :^)

I feel exactly as you do regarding how well the Viennas stack up to the Sonus Fabers - I felt the Hadyn was very similar sounding to the Concertos at half the price.

The Dyns seem to like a bit of breathing room, moreso than other like speakers, IMO. The bass is definitely generous, and seems to get a bit "fat" if too crowded. I'm sure you'll have fun playing around.

Enjoy your new toy!