meteo man

How do you know that you are overdriving your speakers?

The manual for my Paradigm speakers says that you must not overdrive your speakers and that if you are you will have excess visible cone excursion. How do you know that you have excess visible cone excursion? Note I am not talking about sending a clipped signal to the speaker, but rather sending too much clean watts to the speaker. Would you be able to hear that you have excess visible cone excursion? The reason I ask is that I came home one day and my wife was really playing the stereo loudly. It did not sound distorted, but I guess I need to know how loud is too loud even if the amp is not clipping? Thanks for your responses.
    meteo man

Adcom GFA-5400 amp
    Adcom GTP-602 tuner/preamp
    Toshiba SD2700 DVD player
    Rotel RCD-1070 CD player
    Paradigm Signature S2 speakers
    Velodyne SPL-800R subwoofer
    Adcom ACE-615 AC line conditioner
    Straightwire Stage speaker wires
    Straightwire Chorus cable interconnects

You would hear distortion. Even though you are sending clean power to the speakers, if they are over driven you will hear it. You would be able to hear it best from another room.

If it sounded good then they should be OK.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

meteo man
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    You would hear distortion. Even though you are sending clean power to the speakers, if they are over driven you will hear it. You would be able to hear it best from another room.

If it sounded good then they should be OK.

Thanks!!
    meteo man

Adcom GFA-5400 amp
    Adcom GTP-602 tuner/preamp
    Toshiba SD2700 DVD player
    Rotel RCD-1070 CD player
    Paradigm Signature S2 speakers
    Velodyne SPL-800R subwoofer
    Adcom ACE-615 AC line conditioner
    Straightwire Stage speaker wires
    Straightwire Chorus cable interconnects

Forum Regular

How Loud Is Too Loud??

Quote Originally Posted by edlchiang62
    The manual for my Paradigm speakers says that you must not overdrive your speakers and that if you are you will have excess visible cone excursion. How do you know that you have excess visible cone excursion? Note I am not talking about sending a clipped signal to the speaker, but rather sending too much clean watts to the speaker. Would you be able to hear that you have excess visible cone excursion? The reason I ask is that I came home one day and my wife was really playing the stereo loudly. It did not sound distorted, but I guess I need to know how loud is too loud even if the amp is not clipping? Thanks for your responses.
    The basic rule of thumb for all audio equipment is simply this: If it sounds bad, turn it down.

Thread Information