Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    "Yeah funny, how the first one i check is already wrong. I will check more and will find more people that dont use that crap in public."

You can check most of them here http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/reviewers/

Funny, all in ONE place eh? I guess i know what that means. Take care....

The rest of your post is a rant -- Bring your speakers to the UK -- Peter will gladly put his speakers up against the Scintilla - he already has. Don't lie about what you hear just to shill Apogee. Making a suggestion to someone to listen to a speaker that chances are most people don't have access to anyway I'm surprised ruffles so many feathers. If you want this board to only ever recommend Canadian brands and B&W and Magnepan and no longer made Apogees that is fine by me you're the moderator.
    If my speakers would not weigh over 220lbs a piece i would. But its easier to carry that cheap particle board speaker down to my place. Also use you eyes and take notice that i only moderate the picture gallery. Also dont lie about frequency responses about other products. I do not recommend Canadian brands or B&W, and even you should have checked that by now !
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin
    so you can relate to how we feel you are with Audio-Note.

Yep, kinda like Bose

take care>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    I second that all the way !!

But at least the BOSE marketing is fun to read, while RGA's is not.
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    Do Bill Maher and Michael Moore hate America because they voice criticism over their current government. I don't hate America or Americans -- I may take some issue with some republicans or what America does to the rest of the world and I may be annoyed at times that manyare easily brainwashed in the United States under the sis boom ba ra ra ra America is the best mentality. Kinda like Bose.
    The problem that we have here, RGA, is not that you have certain beliefs. You're welcome to believe and think whatever you like, just like anyone else on the forums here. The part that is inappropriate is that there is a off-topic forum just for comments like yours, yet you still bring off-topic issues to the other sections of the forum. Many of us come here to talk about a common interest, in this case, audio. Many of us, myself included, come here to be active in our hobby while putting other concerns behind us for the time being.

If you would like to discuss topics besides speakers, your best bet would be to go to the off-topic boards rather than bother the people here who are trying to stay on-topic.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    bjornb17

Start on page one -- I hardly took the thread off course - I replied to other poster's comments with one broadside sentence against the right. That is hardly initiating taking the thread off topic.

Talking

So, where can we go to hear these 1/4 mil speakers anyhow? Does anyone know of a dealer in the NYC area? I'd love to walk in with jeans and a T-shirt just to see if they'd even talk to me.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    If my speakers would not weigh over 220lbs a piece i would. But its easier to carry that cheap particle board speaker down to my place. Also use you eyes and take notice that i only moderate the picture gallery. Also dont lie about frequency responses about other products. I do not recommend Canadian brands or B&W, and even you should have checked that by now !
    You can go to Stereophuile and hi-fi Choice Hi-fi news, What Hi Fi and then we can start on the foreign magazines.

You know the great thing is negative advertising is still advertising --- people will seek out AN with that little childish picture of yours and I hope they run them up against magnepan and Apogee -- it will be very educational to people indeed. They will certainly no longer associate weight of the speaker with anything.

Better yet just go to the UK -- flights are $199.00Cdn from Canada just seen on TV. Bring anyone and any Apogee you wish: Call ahead because he may still have the Scintilla lying around - he has some Avanteguarde horns which despite their massive size and weight fo you to try as well.

From Peter to an IRS beta and Aopogee Scintilla owner:

"If you are ever in the UK I shall be happy to demonstrate to you that the joke is on the people who need 2 cubic meters and 4 12 inch woofers to do what is possible with a single 8 inch woofer.

I don't know where you think the Apogee's get their bass from, I have had several different pairs including the Scintallas and none of them had any significant amount of really deep bass.

Your Apogees have separate coil woofers?

The Scintilla never measured more than about 40 Hz when I had them and they needed a billion watts to give any impression of bass energy, at least as far as my definition of real bass goes, they died very quickly from metal fatigue when pressed hard with a big amplifier for a couple of hours.

The square area needed from panels to give any really low bass depth is considerable, and the Apogees just don't cut it here, I am sorry to say

Sincerely,
    Peter Qvortrup

From another poster GTF

"Not only that but how can anyone stand to listen to the music(on the Scintillas) moving back and forth between the drivers. Simular to listening to those big Infinity's. You can hear the sound from each individual driver as it moves up and down the frequency range.

Dr.Cope
    "BTW - I've owned and sold Apogees and Maggies, and owned Quad '57's. Each does some very seductive things. Each has a a flaw or flaws that I found so distracting I had to give them up. For that matter, I owned DQ-10's, (several times!) which were a fascinating exercise in non-boxy design using 5 dynamic drivers. It was a lovey speaker, too, but integrating 5 drivers to a seamless blend is really an impossible task, and so they, too, fell by the wayside.

A major shortcoming, for me, with all of the above, except the Quad, is that to get them going requires a fairly high-powered solid state amp, the sound of which I never much liked, and since hearing SET's in the mid 90's, have given a very wide berth."

I have tried to give you outs on this forum several times -- IT'S A MATTER OF TASTE -- You are not going to convince me that Apogee is a particularly good speaker and I won't convince you that anything other than Apogee is better than Apogee. So going on about it isn't going to help...though I must say it will further advertsise Audio Note AND Apogee. And frankly anytime we're not talking about all the companies that ALWAYS get talked about (ala B&W --oops I just mentioned them) is at least somewhat good in my view.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    So, where can we go to hear these 1/4 mil speakers anyhow? Does anyone know of a dealer in the NYC area? I'd love to walk in with jeans and a T-shirt just to see if they'd even talk to me.
    The E/Sogon is made to order from what I can tell($125,000US pair) -- and you'd be waiting a long time for them -- their top amp(Mono-blocks) are ($250,000US) takes 6 months and 1000 hours to build -- they use the facility at Ferrari to get the tolerances and their machine is the only one ion the world that cuts the mustard -- or as legend has it

The speakers use over $40,000US worth of silver and takes time to acquire (so at least you know they have melt down value).

These are not the one's listed in the beginning of the thread mind you -- but for the E there is a dealer in Manhatten. Chesky records brass showed the Audio Note room in the late 1990s when Enjoythemusics top editor bought the system -- maybe it's still there -- don't know Manhatten at all or New York for that matter -- it's on my list of places to see - especially a Yankees game against my Jays or the Red Sox that would be fun.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information