• 12-16-2003, 07:16 AM
    Willy_P
    HK 525 speaker choice, help please.
    Ok, just got a new HK 525 and my current Infinity and Cambridge SW speakers just aren't cutting it so I've decided that if I can make it my xmas gift I'll try to upgrade. Short on time though if I want to get them here for xmas...and they only thing I really know is that I want the voices during movies to be crisper and clearer...hopefully even at slighty lower volumes than I listen to now. From what I've read, I think I need brighter speakers to get the sound I want, but I really have no idea so any help is greatly appreciated.

My room is 15x11, and use the system pretty equally for games, movies, music and tv. Here's my current set up:

Center - Cambridge SoundWorks CenterStage
    Fronts - Infinity REFERENCE 2000.1
    Surrounds - Cambridge SoundWorks Surround II 5.1
    Sub - Klipsch KSW100

For now, I figure I'll just upgrade the center and fronts. I'll use my Infinity's for the surrounds (elimiating the CS surrounds) until I get some more cash. Budget for fronts and center about $550.

I've been looking at the following Axioms:
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    M3ti or M2ti Fronts
    VP100 or VP50 Center
    That combo comes in at $495 max.

And also at these Aperions:
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    INTIMUS 522D 3 pack of 2 fronts and a center.
    That combo comes in at $540 max.

So, any opinions on these speakers? Should I look elsewhere? What about power on the Aperions, I read a couple of glowing reviews that mentioned that although they sound great they are inefficient and require you to turn the volume up more, do I need to worry about that with my HK? Will the Axioms have the same issue?

Big thanks from a HT newbie!
  • 12-16-2003, 07:40 PM
    acqui
    I have the same receiver as you do and went with Paradigms, which sound awesome! I am not sure what your budget is but I would definitely give them a listen (www.paradigm.ca)

My cousin also has the same HK setup but he went with the Infinity Kappa and I actually like those more than I do my Paradigms, but they are a bit more expensive.
  • 12-17-2003, 01:05 PM
    bobhaze
    Don't exclude the new CSW stuff from your consideration. The Newton series stuff is pretty different from the CSW stuff you have and is in the same league with many of the "audiophile approved" models. Check the reviews on the site for the MC300, MC500, M80, and P500, and P1000 and you'll see what I mean. If you associate CSW with the earlier models, you'll be surprised by many of the Newtons.
    I have a set of M50's with an older a/d/s/ subwoofer in a 2 channel system that has opened the minds of many of my audio buddies. My neighbor picked up a Newton Theater 300.5, which sounds outstanding on both music and movies. He had systems from B&W, Paradigm, Energy and Infinity home for comparison (taking advantage of the CSW in-home trial) and the CSW's were the ones that stayed.

Bobhaze
  • 12-18-2003, 05:14 AM
    Willy_P
    any opinions on Aperion vs. Axiom? I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with one of those brands, but was really wondering what you all thought of either of them with my HK. thanks!
  • 12-18-2003, 06:59 AM
    Tarheel_
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Willy_P
    any opinions on Aperion vs. Axiom? I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with one of those brands, but was really wondering what you all thought of either of them with my HK. thanks!

I also have the HK 525 and it is a neutral sounding receiver with plenty of power for your room size. I believe the 2 speaker brands you mention are very efficient so power will not be a concern. I hate to say this, but you should listen to both and decide. However, return shipping may be expensive....
    so, my advise, research as much as possible and choose one..you can demo them for 30 days, if it doesn't sound right, return them and order the other brand.
    Your benefit here is both have a 30 return policy so you can't go wrong. good luck and let everyone know your decision and how they sound.
  • 12-19-2003, 03:50 PM
    poneal
    I also have a Harman Kardon receiver and I use Infinities (entra 3) ya the lower end ones and they sound fine to me.