Forum Regular

Help in picking up a Subwoofer to pair up with my MB Quart S830?

I can't not decide to get a SVS, HSU or JBL S120P. Money wise JBL is the best bang for the buck as less then $300 but would I be giving up too much performance?

Another question is do I really need the performance from the 12" SVS or HSU? I know they are the best in its own price range but does it really out class JBL by doubling the price?

I need some opinion from them as these subwoofer are not locally available for me to test drive it. So, I'm gonna have to take your words for it. I hate it but its better then buying some crap from bestbuy, circuitcity or Goodguy. Or Paying extra extra from magnolia theatre or Wilshire entertainment which non of them offer any of the sub I mention above.

nightflier

MB Quart

Make sure you are powering the speakers adequately. I thought that my 830's were rather thin sounding until I used a nice powerfull amp that could handle the 87dB sensitivity at 4 ohms. With the right amp, they will have excellent seperation and bass.

That said, I decided on a closed-ported sub from Monitor Audio (Silver series). My interest is classical music and to my ears that was a very good match. GG is going out of business and they carry MA speakers & subs. You should be able to get a great deal there since the MA inventory is not selling as fast as their cheaper stuff. You might even be able to haggle with them.

If you want really deep, loud bass and don't care about looks as much, you could also try SVS. I have one of their larger cylinder models in my TV room and there is nothing in the price range that compares to my ears. But is is not the most attractive thing to have in your living room. If you want something more refined & attractive to match the coffee table for example, then go with MA.

Cool My thoughts...

I've used or tested subs from all three manufacturers. SVS and HSU are clearly superior to JBL. I stopped using or recommending JBL's after their amps had a serious DOA problem some years ago. I personally af partial to HSU due to personal experience. 3.5 years of trouble free bass in my house from both the VTF-12 and 10. I don't know how large a room or system you're trying to push so a discussion as to what size driver you'd need is moot to me.

Da Worfster

Thread Information