Forum Regular

help needed - floorstanding speaker setup with notebook

Hi,

I just made a custom notebook for myself and want to use it as a stereo sound system for quiet listening and parties as well.

I haven't installed a good sound card yet, there is one built-in, i am planning to buy a good sound card like creative nx2 usb, is it really needed, or adding a good amp would be enough?

Basically i want to buy a stereo sound setup
    with 2 floorstanding speakers
    with a fast sub (if its needed)
    and amp(i think its needed but am not sure)
    and a good sound card (if needed, i have a pcmcia slot but its already used, so usb is only option)

I am not exactly an audiophile but i can recognize what speakers are good, or bad..

I am a student with a budget of 500-600$, in jersey city.

Room size is approx 20 X 30 ft, probably a bit bigger

Any help would be appreciated.

Sam

Forum Regular
    Well, I think this is what you'll need....

something like this...

http://us.creative.com/products/prod...07&product=585

That'll get you out of the PC, good ins and outs, give you 5.1 is you want it to watch DVD's and such, and give you a physical knob to grab when your computer flips you the bird and sends some obnoxious screaming noise through your speakers. (trust me, this will happen at least once. But with a knob, it won't be very bad)

Then you'll need some descent amps. An inexpensive 2 channel amp if your just want to do stereo. Just an amp, not a receiver. You'll use your subs build in passive crossover for speaker management. Or a decent 5 channel amp if you want to do surround. These are gonna be harder to find, but somebody here will hook you up with a link.

Then you'll need to find some good quality 1/8" stereo to RCA cables to get you from the Sound Blaster unit to the imputes on the amp(s).

Fellas, who makes a good quality 1/8" stereo to RCA?

Then add your speaker of choice to the end, season to taste and enjoy. There'll be lots of speaker recommendations ensewing I'm sure.

The other way to go would be to by a receiver insead of the Sound Blaster and amp and just plug your laptop into one set of in's on the receiver. Then it'll have amps, surround processing and speaker management built in. You'll still need a soundcard, but one with just stereo out's. Probably gonna run you about the same it if a little less when its all done. I'd actually recommend this cause its gives you flexability down the road to use other stuff like turntables, TV's, ect.....

Thread Information