AR Newbie Registered Member

Powered tweeters?

Hi, I'm not a pro when it comes to audio equipment and would like a little advice. Is there such a thing as a powered tweeter? I want to play a high pitched sound through a tweeter to hopefully stop some pests from entering my yard. The louder and clearer the better. If I have to run a separate amp is there any particular brand I should buy? I only need one tweeter for now. Thanks for any help.

There are dedicated sound emitters specifically tailored for pest control. I would look into those first before trying to build your own, since it would be lot less expensive. There are plenty of inexpensive powered speakers out there (as well as pro audio monitors with built in amps), but then you'd have to figure out what to play through the tweeters and how to do it.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by rupertbear
    I would rather you to try Pinnacle's 8 INCH 2WAY INCEILNG-PAIR PIVOT MOUNT TWEETER. It's usually sound best when positioned three or more feet higher than the front speakers. The price is range about $132.05 to $149.23.
    I don't think his Pests have front speakers yet

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelyD
    Hi, I'm not a pro when it comes to audio equipment and would like a little advice. Is there such a thing as a powered tweeter? I want to play a high pitched sound through a tweeter to hopefully stop some pests from entering my yard. The louder and clearer the better. If I have to run a separate amp is there any particular brand I should buy? I only need one tweeter for now. Thanks for any help.
    You should try to google "Pest Alarm scam" and find out for yourself. There are many people with sound science backgrounds did independent studies of these devices. The so-called ultrasonic pest repeller DOES NOT WORK. That is the reason why you don't see those being sold in stores. It's just another snake oil scam. Although insects can receive ultrasonic frequencies, they can't really "hear" anything or be annoyed by it (as some of these vendors claim). Plus, sound waves, especially those of higher frequencies are very directional and are easily blocked by objects like rocks, grass, sprinkles...et. Anyways, I am not going to recite these articles so you should just do researches on your own.
    Setup:
    Rotel RSP 1570 Preamp
    Front & Center: Parasound Halo A53
    Surround: Parasound New Classic 5125
    Dynaudio - Customized Fronts 5 way (Similar to Contour S 5.4), Bi-Amp
    B&W Nautilus HTM1 Center
    Dynaudio Contour 1.1 Surround Backs
    Vienna Acoustics Schonberg Surround Sides A.
    Dynaudio Audience 52SE Surround Sides B.
    Vienna Acoustics Subson Subwoofer.
    Dynaudio Active Sub 500.
    Tara Labs Prism speaker wires.
    Audioquest Interconnects
    Tripplite Power Conditioner

Possibly not effective against rodents and insects but high frequencies do appear to be effective against teenagers.

Thread Information