AR Newbie Registered Member

NHT SB-1 vs NHT SuperOne speakers?

I currently have Paradigm Micros (space is a concern) and while they sound pretty good, I want to upgrade a little and have narrowed the search down to one of these two speakers (although I have also considered the KEF Compacts). Is there much difference between the two other than the model year? Also, I have an M&K VX-4 subwoofer, so I'm not not too concerned about the bass.
    Thanks,
    Alan

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boatscribe
    I currently have Paradigm Micros (space is a concern) and while they sound pretty good, I want to upgrade a little and have narrowed the search down to one of these two speakers (although I have also considered the KEF Compacts). Is there much difference between the two other than the model year? Also, I have an M&K VX-4 subwoofer, so I'm not not too concerned about the bass.
    Thanks,
    Alan
    I own NHT SuperOnes and have never been as happy for as long a time as I have been with them. I have listened to the new NHTs but not long enough to know if the metal dome tweeter would start to bother me long term. I had a pair of B&Ws and Celestions and got burnt out on metal tweeters. The SuperOnes are very neutral and I have seen some good bargains on the used market. I improved the imaging of the speaker by adding adhesive felt dots in a circular pattern around the tweeter. I do like the balance of the new NHT compared to other speakers brands. I think you would like either one but my heart belongs to the SuperOnes.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

AR Newbie Registered Member

felt dots eh?

Thanks for the input, that was just what I was hoping to hear, as I am leaning towards the SuperOnes. I was kind of surprised that the woofer is slightly smaller on the SB-1s, and like you say, metal tweeters can get abrasive after a while. That's an interesting trick with the felt dots. Where did you learn that one? Does it smooth out the highs a little?
    Alan

I've got the SuperOnes

we use them as studio monitors...very uncolored and a great buys (used).

Pogue
    • Mark Levinson No. 27
    • Musical Fidelity 308cr
    • Martin Logan Prodigy's
    • Ariel Acoustics 10-T
    • Rega Planet CD
    • CJ Premier 9 DAC
    • Linn LP12 - Basik Plus - Valhalla
    • Benz Micro Cart.
    • Akai GX 747 Reel to Reel
    • Straight Wire Virtuoso Interconnects

Thread Information