Hello

Printable View

• 03-10-2006, 12:35 PM
    Cal Blacksmith
    Hello
    Hello all, this is my second post on this board.:cornut:
    While I am new here, I am not new to audio.

Here is a little bit about me:
    My system can be seen in my profile but to put it in a nutshell, I am a tube head though I use a sand amp for my HT and have had many sand amps in the past. I am alsoa Klipsch lover. Though there are many other fantastic speakers in the world, many better than Klipsch, for me they give the best bang for the buck the most dynamics, clearest sound and the sound stage when properly setup is excellent.

I tend to play vinyl more than CDs for my audio listening but I do enjoy my DVDs as well. My music tastes are 70s rock, jazz, and more dynamic bold classical. I am looking forward to getting to know you all here and I hope to be a positive contributor to this board.
  • 03-10-2006, 12:43 PM
    paul_pci
    Welcome. Sounds like your interests will fit a lot of the different boards here.
  • 03-10-2006, 12:49 PM
    ericl
    Welcome Cal,

I am a Klipsch Fan too. I own a pair of Klipsch Cornwalls, and while not the greatest speaker in the world, there is something magical about them. They do need to be matched with the right equipment.

I am "in between" amps right now, I just got a little grommes EL84 tube amp that I will soon have restored and modified, to use with the Klipsch. I am about to sell an AES SuperAmp that was nice, but I wanted an integrated and I need the cash!

Then I will I rewire the Cornwalls, with some hook up wire from DH Labs. I hear this is a really great, easy upgrade, as the cables in there are approaching 30 years old..

Welcome to the Site!
    -Eric
  • 03-10-2006, 12:59 PM
    Cal Blacksmith
    Eric, it is nice to know I am not a "lone voice" here :) When you do the rewire on the Cornwalls, you might think about upgrading the xover. Those caps are 30+years old and have drifted from stock values for sure. There are also several upgraded "new" xovers made just for them. I need to upgrade my corns for sure, they are '85 series 2s and though they sound great, they need to be re-habed electronically.
  • 03-10-2006, 01:01 PM
    ericl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cal Blacksmith
    Eric, it is nice to know I am not a "lone voice" here :) When you do the rewire on the Cornwalls, you might think about upgrading the xover. Those caps are 30+years old and have drifted from stock values for sure. There are also several upgraded "new" xovers made just for them. I need to upgrade my corns for sure, they are '85 series 2s and though they sound great, they need to be re-habed electronically.

I will look into that. Mainly I would like just to get the xover back up to spec, I have considered the ALK xover..
  • 03-10-2006, 08:55 PM
    topspeed
    Welcome to the board!

My first experience with "hi-fi" was with my cousins Khorns, so I've always had a bit of a soft spot for 'em. In college, two of my friends were big Klipsch guys as well, one had four Forte's while the other a set of Heresy's and some other pair whose name escapes me right now. I'm not a fan of their new stuff, but the Heritage line is big fun.