Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Have you ever sold speakers then regretted it?

I've gone through quite a lot of gear - some good, some not so good. But there are a few components I've had to sell and regret it, even though it had to be done. I just don't have the space to keep everything as I currently live in a 1750sq feet apartment (but we're into a house very soon). A couple of speakers that I wish I didn't have to sell are the Polk RT3000p and an old pair of Altec Lansing 846a Valencias. If any of you folks ever are looking on the used market for a 'sleeper' that doesn' have high-end recognition but offers outstanding performance for the money, consider the Polk RT3000p. These not-exactly-beautiful speakers were part of the RT5000p 5 channel system. I still have the CS/1000p center channel because I've yet to hear a better center channel speaker. This center has two powered subwoofers build in!! The F/X 1000 dipole rear speakers are magico also. The RT3000p is capable of throwing a simply massive soundstage, and generating loud volume levels without a hint of strain whatsoever. this probably has something to do with the fact that each speaker's bass module has a 300watt amp built in. The RT3000p is awesome most especially for HT and that what it primarily was designed for. I regret having had to sell them and sometimes miss the enormous soundstage that extends well outside the room bounderies, and the incredible bass power -sheesh!!

I miss my Altec Valencias. If you guys have never heard these driven by, say, an original MacIntosh 275, you would be knocked back in your seat by the staggering dynamics these babies are capable of. I wish I didn't have to sell them. Maybe one day, with more space I can pick up another pair....

Oh, yes

Quote Originally Posted by O'Shag
    I've gone through quite a lot of gear - some good, some not so good. But there are a few components I've had to sell and regret it....
    I sold my Ohm F full-range Walsh driver speakers to by B&W DM7; that was circa 1980. Although it took me a few years to full appreciate that blunder I came to understand and regret it. I doubt I would still have the Ohm F's today, but they could have served me well for years. (What POS those B&Ws. Typical British of the era: inefficient, recessed mid-range, and totally lacking in microdynamics or any kind of dynamics FTM.)

More recently I've regretted selling my Apt Holman preamp; a great classic preamp and huge bargain nowadays at a going price of under $200. I'm sorely tempted to buy a replacement one to use as a phono and backup preamp.
    Last edited by Feanor; 07-15-2007 at 10:04 AM.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Can't say I have, though I've been at this seriously for less than 10 years. I've sold a few power amps I wish I still had. And my Arcam integrated.

I'm afraid unlike some of you who've been around longer than me, I have more tails of purchases I've regretted than sales...

I guess I've been lucky

Quote Originally Posted by O'Shag
    I've gone through quite a lot of gear...
    I have too, but not so with speakers where I've tended towards longer term relationships. I've gone down a pretty straight forward path from my first speakers to my last. And back again -- in the sense that I purchased another set of double Advents a few years back for my vintage garage system. In the past thirty five years, I've only had six different speakers in the main system. Advent / double Advent-->Braun LV1020-->Magneplanar MG-II, Acoustat X / Monitor 4-->Acoustat 2+2-->Sound Lab U-1.

It was, however, a little strange selling my Acoustat 2+2s a while back because they had been my close companions for over twenty years. OTOH, the U-1s more than took their place. I cannot imagine replacing them.

rw

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I miss some of my old speakers but most were handed down to a friend or relative to help them get started in this hobby. My one pair I sold was a pair of A/D/S L570 and I would like the chance to hear them along with my NHT Superones and Ascend CBM170's.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Sell? Sell my speakers? Huh? I don't understand. Why would anyone sell their children. I still have every speaker I have ever bought, built or was given. The basement is getting crowded though.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

which ones are stuffed in your basement Mike?

I also believe (although I haven't bougth new speakers yet, but I'm pretty sure on this) that selling a speaker is something I wouldn't do. Unless, of course, you don't see anymore floor in your house...
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Forum Regular

Fer sure!

I bought a pair of Klipsch KG2s in 1986ish, and sold my beloved Boston A70s (1980) to a friend. Certainly, a $320 speaker will be better than a $280 speaker, right?... uugh.

Actually, the KG2 sounded good (more bass, fairly dynamic...) but failed to please in the long run. I suppose the Klipsch was drier, the Bostons warmer.

Another friend (yup... I have more than one!) recently gave me his Boston A100s and I put new factory woofers in them. She's a satisfying speaker, but I dont have them properly elevated/set-up yet. At least some of the memories are back!

Quote Originally Posted by basite
    which ones are stuffed in your basement Mike?

I also believe (although I haven't bougth new speakers yet, but I'm pretty sure on this) that selling a speaker is something I wouldn't do. Unless, of course, you don't see anymore floor in your house...
    4 home built
    2 Awai (or whatever)
    5 cube style (way worse than Bose)
    1 passive sub from above mentioned crap
    5 Yamama bookshelf
    1 Yamaha 8 inch (sub?)
    1 Jenson 10" sub
    2 sony bookshelf

Maybe I should sell these. The only ones that are any good at all are the ones I built.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Well, i dont miss them now, but i once sold a Magnepan 3.6 for a VMPS RM30 and that was my biggest audio mistake today.
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

The Dynaudio Audience 42's I sold a few months back was not one of my brighter moves. But the PSB Stratus GB1's I picked up have eased the pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    Well, i dont miss them now, but i once sold a Magnepan 3.6 for a VMPS RM30 and that was my biggest audio mistake today.
    Where was I that week?

Quote Originally Posted by anamorphic96
    The Dynaudio Audience 42's I sold a few months back was not one of my brighter moves. But the PSB Stratus GB1's I picked up have eased the pain.
    Just an aside,

How ya likin' them now that you spent some time with them. I find my GT1s are pretty forgiving with regards to placement.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Where was I that week?
    On holiday?

My biggest regret to date(I'm sure that there are more to come) is selling my tyler acoustics "taylos" monitors,,followed by my belles 350a.I'm still trying to figure out why.

nightflier
    I have sold quite a few speakers over the years, almost every one for less than I paid, but my biggest blunder was a gift: I gave away my MB Quart QL-S830s. Not very well known, but certainly a beautiful speaker with an amazing tweeter. Unfortunately, my "friend" decided to flip them within a month and bought a Bose setup because he didn't want "big" speakers.

We're not friends anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    On holiday?
    Well, I'm back now. What else ya got to sell? Keep in mind that I can't afford to pay you what they're worth, or the even the freight to here for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    I have sold quite a few speakers over the years, almost every one for less than I paid, but my biggest blunder was a gift: I gave away my MB Quart QL-S830s. Not very well known, but certainly a beautiful speaker with an amazing tweeter. Unfortunately, my "friend" decided to flip them within a month and bought a Bose setup because he didn't want "big" speakers.

We're not friends anymore.
    AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH Just shoot me now!

Suspended
    I had two pair of Klipsch KG4s and sold one. I've regretted it ever since. I sold them for $325, which isn't bad, but I'd rather have the speakers. I still have one pair which I'll never part with, but still sorry I didn't keep the second pair.

The 3000P's were wonderful speakers. Tight, deep, articulate bass. The woofers were essential from the original DB car series, which are still highly sought after today.

My biggest 'DOH' would have to be Spendor 1/2's. I had them on a Beard KT88 amp, and it was MAGIC. Some of, if not THE best sound I've had in house. So what did I do? Decided I needed try some Sonus Faber on an Aragon sand amp. BIG mistake.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Polk Audio Customer Service

I'm not much for selling either, and the 'trouble and strife' (the wife) is always pleased to see me reduce my stock, especially as it doesn't happen very often. I have an absolutely mint pair of KEF Reference 107s which are awesome and took me 2 years to find (I'm picky about condition). I've had them for three years now. I've been hankering after a pair of Wilsons but the missus says some stuff including my KEFs will have to go if she'll agree to letting me have the Wilsons. I just don't think I can bring myself to part with my 107s though. Tough choice. I know if I sell them I'll regret it..

which wilsons are you hankering after?

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Well, I'm back now. What else ya got to sell? Keep in mind that I can't afford to pay you what they're worth, or the even the freight to here for that matter.
    Mmh, not much really. I got a pair of Wireworld Orbit 5 speaker cables for sale for 150 bucks. A Marantz DVD player is also up for grabs. Other then that i am well settled in. I just bought a pair of Magnan Signature speaker cables and wait for them to arive.

:-)

AR Newbie Registered Member
    ...snif...Luxman L80V amp together with B&W DM2A...good match!

Had some Control Xtreme 1's...I think Spanky has then now
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information