Forum Regular

ebay Speakers...: Too Good to be True?

HI all- has anyone heard of Delphonica? I did a search on this forum and nothing came up. Check out these ultra cheap but good looking speakers on Ebay (Australia):

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Delphonica-DT...QQcmdZViewItem

The company is http://666666.com.au and is an internet company with over 15000 ebay sales. Look at their claimed Recommended Retail price and then the price they sell at, eg RRP $1395, our price $159. They boast nice specs: Result of 40 years of accoustic experience, Rosewood veneer cabinets, Kevlar drivers etc- I zoomed up on the label on the back - it says Designed in UK. Obviously made in China- but how is it possible? I also went to their online store in Sydney : http://666666.com.au/ and selected "Speakers" on the left column. You can pick up from the warehouse, so obviously they are not trying to hide. Its almost worth just buying a set to see how they sound for that money- about the cost of some good speaker cable.
    It be Ok to be irritirate as long as yoo don't no it be Ok

Forum Regular
    PS- they also have two Delphonica Valve Amps selling $499 and $799. Be interesting to put them and the speakers to some real tests and comparisons.

You know whatthey say is somethong looks too good to be true, doncha?

It usually is.

I can't say I've heard of 'em here (U S of A) and I've been keeping an eye on this hobby since the early 60's. But, I do have to wonder, when a company sticks a RRP if $1,400 on a speaker and then openly sells 'em for $160, what their true worth really is. Here in the states we would call that a "white van" speaker.

But, then again, I don't know everything.

At just $160, they look very nice. Even if the components turn out to be crap, you could find better ones to fit and build your own.

Quote Originally Posted by markw

But, then again, I don't know everything.
    Marisa will be crushed.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Marisa will be crushed.
    So will Rita, but I think she's starting to suspect something like that.

Hope things are well wid youse. Any baby bump yet?

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    So will Rita, but I think she's starting to suspect something like that.

Hope things are well wid youse. Any baby bump yet?
    She has a bump, but she had that before getting Prego. Doesn't stop her from sticking it out as far as she can now. We got picks 2 weeks ago. It's too tiny to see in stills right now. But we could see it moving in the video. About the size of a pee.

How you doin'?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    6666666.com eh? Me? No thanks. Something very sleezy sounding when a website lists an address like this IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    6666666.com eh? Me? No thanks. Something very sleezy sounding when a website lists an address like this IMO.
    He's from down under. That's really 9999999.

Suspended
    I wouldn't buy from them either.

Forum Regular
    for that price, i'd give it a chance.

Forum Regular
    999999.com.au... heh heh...yeah and i'm standing on my head as i type this...Anyway, thanks for feedback on these. I buy the line: "If it looks too good to be true..." But at that price i'm with GMike. Can swap the drivers around and still end up with decent speakers. It's always quite possible that they want to move them quickly so have marked them right down, who knows? Also could be good but damaged in some way. I might go for it- will let you know how they sound.

Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    I haven't been in this as long as Markw, only since the late 60's for me.

As we say up here, "I wouldn't touch these with a ten foot pole" that would be 3 meters to you mate. No way in hell would I send these guys one dollar. Google them and look at the website, no address, no phone number, no info of any kind. The specs as stated are meaningless. I could throw together a website like that in an hour.

Phony as hell IMO.

You say ... "Can swap the drivers around and still end up with decent speakers" You are preasuming you are actually going to get speakers let alone ones with a quality drivers. No way, mate. This is what we have called for years a white van operation. Only now they throw up a quick website to try and make it look legitimate and then sell very poor quality speakers on eBay.

If you're lucky they are a cheap version of Fluance speakers and might even sound slightly OK, maybe (don't bet your lunch money on it).

RR6
    Last edited by RoadRunner6; 01-06-2009 at 10:18 PM.

WELL CHALLENGAAAH
    it looks like someone bought a pair for AU 177.50 + $69 shipping is that you??
    Winning bid: AU $177.50

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ended 06-Jan-09 10:45:51 AEDST
    Postage: AU $69.00

AR Newbie Registered Member
    with speakers like this its trial and error u try em out

listen with your own ears

some of these brands acualy sound quite good

nightflier
    Even at $177, I don't even see how that would pay for the cabinetwork. Are you sure these aren't made of cardboard (just thick enough to keep the drivers steady while they snap the pictures)?

White van all the way. You would be better off with Fluance or Streem, at least those guys have been doing it for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by MARINLAW
    with speakers like this its trial and error u try em out

listen with your own ears

some of these brands acualy sound quite good
    I'm thinking that's not a bad idea if you can IF SEE THEM/ HEAR THEM BEFORE YOU BUY THEM

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    Even at $177, I don't even see how that would pay for the cabinetwork. Are you sure these aren't made of cardboard (just thick enough to keep the drivers steady while they snap the pictures)?

White van all the way. You would be better off with Fluance or Streem, at least those guys have been doing it for some time.
    HA HA HA NIGHTFLIER
    that's a good one about the speakers.....we don't see the WHITE van guys any more these days, down here in MIA FL in the 80'S we called them the jump out boys.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by nightflier

Look at the back of those speakers. They're made of low-grade chipboard no more than 1/4" thick. Total rubbish.

Crank it up, dude! huh? hydroman's Avatar
    Run (do not walk) away!

I sense bad mojo.
    H/K AVR635 7.1
    Denon DVD900
    AE AEGIS III Mains
    ION USB Turntable w/ Shure M97XE
    15" Titanic III Sealed Enclosure Sub
    Dayton Rackmount 1000W :O
    Denon Surrounds
    Sony Bravia KDL40S2000

Thread Information