AR Newbie Registered Member

Question RM10 woofer stops responding to bass?

I've bought the Polk Audio RM10 home theatre system and am using it with a Harman/Kardon AVR135 receiver... the front speakers are set to LARGE and SUB is set to OFF. The wiring goes from the front speakers to the sub input then the output from the sub goes to the speakers (recommended setup).

I am having a problem where the sub stops responding to any bass after some time or when there is quite a bit of bass (but not too much).. it just gives up and has to be powered off and back on to resume the bass playback and will soon stop again.

Help???

Thanks in advance!

LMB
    Forum Regular
    Set your speakers to small connect your sub to your receiver with a Y cable, I normally do not recommend monster cable their sub cable is decent
    Find out the frequency response of your speakers then set your crossover in the receiver to that

have fun

Can you please explain how I should connect the sub to the receiver? To what output? SUB/LFE?

I'm confused as to exactly what you are suggesting.

LMB
    Forum Regular
    You should connect your speakers to the back of your receiver surround sound and the sub to sub input of the receiver
    Your Harmon manual should have the proper setup instructions for 5.1 surround or their website

Once you have it setup through your receiver should sound great

Quote Originally Posted by lookoftoday
    Can you please explain how I should connect the sub to the receiver? To what output? SUB/LFE?

I'm confused as to exactly what you are suggesting.
    where is says
    PRE-OUT
    SUB WOOFER

http://manuals.harman.com/hk/QuickSt...AVR135rear.pdf

http://www.onecall.com/ProductDispla...WOOC=1#FID_920

Select additional views
    Last edited by BRANDONH; 09-23-2005 at 11:47 AM.
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

I see, okay, so the normal sub connection. Should I use the LFE input or the L/R on the sub?
    Last edited by lookoftoday; 09-23-2005 at 03:43 PM.

fergot... whasa XLR3?
    LFE .

LMB
    Forum Regular
    Use the L/R on the sub

I've tried both and unfortunately neither fixes the stopping problem, the sub seems to give up when any "heavyish" bass is played through it. Any sudden or loud part in music will cause it to completely stop, sometimes just powering it off won't fix the problem too... can take a few power offs or some waiting. :-/

Its like something is wrong with a circuit that is supposed to be limiting the sub from being blown I guess, it is activated way too easily. If I run the sub volume waaaay down (ie. 10% or less) it will work somewhat, but then there is basically no bass being produced making the sub useless.

Does that make any sense, is that a possible problem?
    Last edited by lookoftoday; 09-23-2005 at 04:44 PM.

LMB
    Forum Regular
    Do you have an auto shut off? If you do, when a signal is not being sent to the sub it will turn off
    Did you set your speakers to small? Set the crossover to 80 or 100 and find the sub channel level in your receiver and if its at -10db turn it up to +5db and turn it down if it's to much base slowly turn channel level down to your listening preference. If this does not work then take the unit back

good luck

Thread Information