Dallas's Forums

MORE THAN JUST DINOSAURS!!!

If you had a choice for

A. Wilson Audio Alexandria
    B. Sonys Top of the line bookshelf

what would you choose?

A=

B=
    Last edited by Florian; 02-02-2007 at 04:03 PM.
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Quote Originally Posted by SpankingVanillaice
    Ahh actualy the litterbox is gone a LONG time agao. LOL
    Might want to quit posting pictures of your room WITH the litterbox in full view, then

Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    If you had a choice for

what would you choose?
    The Sony's have yellow woffer cones so they sound like speakers that costed close to $150 and the poly lanimate done tweeter is sooo smooth and percise that it sounds like studidio monitors and the man at Best buy said they don't sell those other speakers speakers so they aren't good like $79 JBL's are good.

Florian,

What are thoes things with three poll sticking up
    HT: Anthem AVM 50 / PVA-7; Focal JM Lab 4x Chorus 716 S, CC 700 S, 2x Chorus 706S; 2x 12s - Homebuilt Sub
    2CH: B&K PT3 s2, Anthem PVA-2, VonSchweikert VR-1
    Computer: Denon AVR 2805, Old Tecnic & Optimus Speakers
    2004 KTM 200 SX
    2003 Spyder
    2002 Single Cab, 3" cornfed lift, 34"LTB & 31" AT's
    ONLINE PHOTO ALBUM

Quote Originally Posted by Rock789
    Florian,

What are thoes things with three poll sticking up
    Room Lenses, break up the first reflection points and absorb resonances. Works great!

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    A=
    talk about failing the WAF test, it's ugly enough I'd think twice!

Same discussion we always have. These systems are not build with a budget or WAF in mind. They are build to take a stab at the state of the art. Noone in this priceclass give a **** about value for the dollor or WAF.

Cheers

Same discussion we always have. These systems are not build with a budget or WAF in mind. They are build to take a stab at the state of the art. Noone in this priceclass give a **** about value for the dollor or WAF.

Cheers
    no durh!?

If it came down to those speakers and another pair though that I thought performed similarly though, I'd chose the other pair. That's all

damn, that lighting's gotta be hell on those reflection points! :P

Dude, how the hell is dallas an "Audiophile" in any way shape or form? and what the hell, he's interested in..."trees"...

Date of Birth:
    December 17, 1984
    Your Listening Style:
    Audiophile
    Primary Interest:
    2-Channel Audio
    Equipment List:
    SONY MZ-N420D portable MD player, JBL HLS410, Pioneer VSX-405, Kenwood GE-1100
    Experience:
    City, State:
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Not Working
    Other Interests:
    Boys, Computers, Games, Trees, Golf, Weather, Music and Dinosaurs.
    Biography:
    Hi my name is Dallas and I'am a very proud gay boy.

oo, and don't forget the 10/10 experience with audio! (said by the boy whose never been in a hifi store...)

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    Viola!
    Isn't that similar to a violin, only larger?

Jeff
    PIONEER: SX-780, CT-F700, HPM-100(x4), DV-C302D, PD-F1007, PL-514; DENON: AVR-983; SONY: D-15, DVP-985V, DVP-CX860(x2); TOSHIBA: XR-9459; TECHNICS: SL-1800MK2, SL-1700MK2, SL-1400MK2; NAD: PE2200; PARADIGM REFERENCE: STUDIO 100 V.2, SERVO-15, X-30; CERWIN-VEGA: DX-9; REALISTIC: MACH 2; RCA: 42" LCD HDTV

Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    I'm not going anywhere near his house. If all this other stuff wasn't enough, the fact that he still has his cat's litterbox by his bed scares the bejesus out of me. His cat died 2 years ago. I guess the litterbox is some kind of 'turd vigil' for the cat or something.

does UPS send big packages?
    maybe we can send him to a hi-fi shop

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

If you had a choice for

what would you choose?

A=

B=

The Sonys do have better specs. in the highs. Also, I've heard you can get the same effect those invasive room-tuning devices offer by simply filling a rectangular pan with kitty litter and experimenting a bit with placement in the room.

Up & Coming Bottlehead jt1stcav's Avatar
    Lakeland, inbetween Tampa and Orlando, Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by audio_dude
    Dude, how the hell is dallas an "Audiophile" in any way shape or form? and what the hell, he's interested in..."trees"...
    Trees with holes in 'em?

Spanky's got a tin ear...no big deal. If he's happy with the Sony's, then so be it.
    ~ Jim Tidwell ~

"Uh, jazz flute is for little fairy boys." - Veronica Corningstone

I'll put my optimus againts his sony
    I have $0.23 saying my optimus are better
    HT: Anthem AVM 50 / PVA-7; Focal JM Lab 4x Chorus 716 S, CC 700 S, 2x Chorus 706S; 2x 12s - Homebuilt Sub
    2004 KTM 200 SX
    2003 Spyder
    ONLINE PHOTO ALBUM

@Rock789

What are my odds on this? i've got $1000 ready

rofl,
    but seriously, I am impressed with my optimus xts-10,
    for $30 some 10 years ago, when compared to my vr-1's, for the money, I wish I didn't get the vr-1's and should have hooked the optimus up first...
    are the vr-1's better, heck ya, but for 20x the price, I should have saved the money and stuck with my optimus...
    ( got them out of storage after I purchased the vr-1's)
    2004 KTM 200 SX
    2003 Spyder
    ONLINE PHOTO ALBUM

Forum Regular

Wink bose 501's [anybody care]?

1st of all I have to apologise to the caretakers of this great forum for not using it as much as I should. [I took the reminder of my tardiness seriously folks!]
    I guess I'm taking the time now to respond or pose a reply[?] to anybody that posted
    any info regarding Bose 501's[Series- I dunno] I've recently turned to them for my analog
    vinyl playback as I consider them a "Rock n Roll" more 'forgiving' listening speaker than the Paragon towers I use for CD/digital/DVD etc. for the crispness they[Paragons] produce which in a environment of 600+ LP's with varying degrees of LP condition is less nerve wracking - vis-a-vis-pops,crackles they seem to exagerate - ergo my opinion on the 501's as more 'forgiving'.
    Now, I'll have to explain that I do not consider myself as a expert/audiophile by any means, and frankly, economic considerations figure predominatly in this. I've always craved a set of 901's since the mid '70's when I 1st lheard and was aware of their phenominaly sound and power handling capabilities. I recently acquired the 501s at a low [to me] cost of 350$ Can. in boxes, 2nd hand, and no apparent faults. GREAT! - I figured-at least they were'nt 301s. I realized that in my very small community a set of used 901's was'nt gonna' happen. So I purchashed them and kept them on the 'back shelf' untill circumstances-[ the ill-considered purchase of a replacement Dig./Home Theater main amp with NO phono in?!] made me make one of my more serendipitous acquirements - A older Sansui 'Rack' consisting of the wheeled rack itself with the following components - A TU 317 Tuner, SC 2110 cassette deck and a AU 517 'integrated amp' [Phono IN!] all at what I consider a 'steal' at 200$. O.K. now we're cooking!, as I brought the 501's into play. Anybody still listening?.....
    To the 'meat' - Since I've been getting accustomed to hearing the 501's [as configured
    with the above factors], I've noticed that they sound rather 'fat'-not quite 'flabby' with yes,- a noticible mid range lack. Not a criticism - especially since 'placement' is probably a big factor in my case....My listening area is approximately the size of a large bathroom! My main '*****' is - why the non-removeable grill covers?!! I don't know if that is 'standard' for all 501's, but in my case, not having a man./schematic and not wanting to perform 'surgery' to orientate myself to the 'lay-out' of idivid. speaker components is probably gonna' add to listening/placement/experiment 'fiddling arround'. Any help or sympathy out there? - [I'm not begging - I'm pleading]! And oh yeah - the addition of stands with 'pointed feet' -[like nails for instance] really do help in sharpening up the bass in my opinion in these. All in all, I'd certainatly love some 901's and because, obviously I hav'nt given these 501's a proper stage, I'll give these a 6 on a 10 scale [1 added because of the above caveat]. Whew! - I think I've made up for lack of participation vis-a -vis hints - EH?!
    Your's, Greystoke from Kimberley B.C., Canada

If you had a choice for

what would you choose?

A=

B=
    Can you give me the specs on each please? How can I tell without the specs?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by greystoke144
    1st of all I have to apologise to the caretakers of this great forum for not using it as much as I should. [I took the reminder of my tardiness seriously folks!]
    I guess I'm taking the time now to respond or pose a reply[?] to anybody that posted
    any info regarding Bose 501's[Series- I dunno] I've recently turned to them for my analog
    vinyl playback as I consider them a "Rock n Roll" more 'forgiving' listening speaker than the Paragon towers I use for CD/digital/DVD etc. for the crispness they[Paragons] produce which in a environment of 600+ LP's with varying degrees of LP condition is less nerve wracking - vis-a-vis-pops,crackles they seem to exagerate - ergo my opinion on the 501's as more 'forgiving'.
    Now, I'll have to explain that I do not consider myself as a expert/audiophile by any means, and frankly, economic considerations figure predominatly in this. I've always craved a set of 901's since the mid '70's when I 1st lheard and was aware of their phenominaly sound and power handling capabilities. I recently acquired the 501s at a low [to me] cost of 350$ Can. in boxes, 2nd hand, and no apparent faults. GREAT! - I figured-at least they were'nt 301s. I realized that in my very small community a set of used 901's was'nt gonna' happen. So I purchashed them and kept them on the 'back shelf' untill circumstances-[ the ill-considered purchase of a replacement Dig./Home Theater main amp with NO phono in?!] made me make one of my more serendipitous acquirements - A older Sansui 'Rack' consisting of the wheeled rack itself with the following components - A TU 317 Tuner, SC 2110 cassette deck and a AU 517 'integrated amp' [Phono IN!] all at what I consider a 'steal' at 200$. O.K. now we're cooking!, as I brought the 501's into play. Anybody still listening?.....
    To the 'meat' - Since I've been getting accustomed to hearing the 501's [as configured
    with the above factors], I've noticed that they sound rather 'fat'-not quite 'flabby' with yes,- a noticible mid range lack. Not a criticism - especially since 'placement' is probably a big factor in my case....My listening area is approximately the size of a large bathroom! My main '*****' is - why the non-removeable grill covers?!! I don't know if that is 'standard' for all 501's, but in my case, not having a man./schematic and not wanting to perform 'surgery' to orientate myself to the 'lay-out' of idivid. speaker components is probably gonna' add to listening/placement/experiment 'fiddling arround'. Any help or sympathy out there? - [I'm not begging - I'm pleading]! And oh yeah - the addition of stands with 'pointed feet' -[like nails for instance] really do help in sharpening up the bass in my opinion in these. All in all, I'd certainatly love some 901's and because, obviously I hav'nt given these 501's a proper stage, I'll give these a 6 on a 10 scale [1 added because of the above caveat]. Whew! - I think I've made up for lack of participation vis-a -vis hints - EH?!
    Your's, Greystoke from Kimberley B.C., Canada
    If you really are looking for an answer, you should start a new thread. I don't know if anyone will reply to your question here. This thread had taken on a life of it's own.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    If you really are looking for an answer, you should start a new thread. I don't know if anyone will reply to your question here. This thread had taken on a life of it's own.
    I can't even read his question.

Quote Originally Posted by emorphien
    I can't even read his question.
    Oh, I can read it. I just don't feel that I am qualified enough to answer it.

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Question is...

...is there a question? It's so run-on and convoluted I'm not sure if Tarzan wants an opinion, a validation or a calmative...Oh! wait...I think I see one now...

Should you futz with your 501s?...Why would you want to take the speaker covers off? All it will do is get your drivers dusty...You may want to try the Bose website, they may have a users manual...As I recall, much like the 901s, they have some placement issues due to the direct/reflecting aspect of the design...

jimHJJ(...a proud 901-ll owner!...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Quote Originally Posted by drseid
    You guys should have just recommended he upgrade to Bose... You just *know* that is what he is going to wind up with someday anyway based on his requirements for "good" sound. At least with Bose we don't have to educate SVI on phony specs.

---Dave

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread Information