Forum Regular

Good main speakers for Y 5760?

So based on advices on this forum, I am getting Y 5760. Also I see that there is no point getting a sucky 5.1 speakers. I would rather invest in a pair of good main bookshelf speakers for now.

What brands go well with Y5760? My price range for the mains is 250-400. Upper limit if it is really really worth it. Otherwise I will try to stay in the lower range.

thank you!

PLENTY of excellent choices in that price range, and it really depends on the type of sound that you're looking for. IMO, there's no such thing as matching a speaker to a receiver because the tonal differences between various speakers are typically far greater than whatever sonic signature the amp might have. I suggest that you just grab a bunch of your favorite CDs and DVDs, start visiting stores, and do as much listening as you can handle. Just make sure that you don't limit yourself to the Best Buy and Circuit City superstores, because most of the higher end speaker manufacturers only distribute to specialty stores.

Like I said, it really depends on the type of sound that you're looking for, but here are few brands to get started on. Klipsch, B&W, Energy, Paradigm, PSB, JBL, Infinity, Polk, KEF, Mission, Boston, Definitive Technology, and Athena all make speakers that fit well within your budget and can be easily driven by your receiver, and along the way you'll probably uncover several other brands. Once you start listening, you can then start narrowing things down. Just keep in mind that the sound can vary a lot from room to room, so once you've narrowed down your choices, you should arrange to borrow the speakers you're interested in from the dealers and try them out at home with your receiver. If anything, the room is every bit as important and can vary just as much as the speakers.

Thread Information