Forum Regular

Wax all over Studio 60s

After my wife agreed to take the plants off the speakers, she decides to put wax tarts heaters on top of the speakers. Previously, with the plants she would over-water them and the water would seep into the seams of the speaker and cause an opening at the seams. With friends over for dinner and drinks, she decides to light up the tarts. One of her friends accidentally trip the tart heater and the melted tart spilled all over speaker and the grill. The question is what is the best to remove the wax.

Hmmm....

Hair dryer blowing though fabric. Wax heats, fabric absorbs wax.

Da Worfster

x2,

BTW did you falcon punch her(the offenser, not the wife, but then again....) for this mishap?

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    I have no idea. What about a hot hair dryer and papertowels. Melt a little with hair dryer and wick it up with towel as it melts? (doh...worf go tthere first.)

Or... crank up some bass heavy tunes and hope it shakes off...

Ah that sucks sorry to hear it. Good luck getting it off

My wife swears by applying a paper towel over the site and running a low-heated iron over it until the wax is completely absorbed.

You should not remove the whacks.

Apply them with gusto.

Mucho gusto!

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the advice. I will try it. In the meantime, no more candles or wax tarts on top of the speakers. Now my wife is thinking of putting Halloween snow globes on the speakers. Just hope they don't burst. That'll really create a mess. First plants, then wax tarts and now snow globes - whats next.

Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    Hit wife with hair dryer (really hard...several times), buy new speakers.

RR6
    Last edited by RoadRunner6; 10-28-2008 at 02:20 PM.

Suspended
    For the cloth both hair dryer and iron sound like good options. I wouldn't add anymore heat to the wood than already with the tarts. I sure you've already removed as much as possible immediately after the spill. For the remaining use Endust. It advertises it removes wax buildup. I've used it before to remove wax crayon from walls and wood furniture. Works great. Thanks Heloise.

Oh, well, if you are having a problem with tarts, I'll come over personally.

You're on your own with the snowglobes.

About as bad as Hummel figures.

Or Franklin Mint.

We're classy, you know. We collect spoons.

(Ahem).

Quote Originally Posted by Auricauricle

About as bad as Hummel figures.
    (Ahem).
    OMG my mom/g-ma collected those (pre QVDC days LOL)

all i collect are car parts :P

You're okay as long as they're not FM collectibles....If they are, I suggest you take them to the nearest incinerator and do what God intended. Make sure you wash your hands thoroughly, put them into a microwave and wait until the next full moon and take yourself to a cemetary and chant, "Yalonomo, yalanomofrankliminto" six times as you spin counterclockwise after sacrificing a fatted guppy. Sounds excessive, but you have to play it safe.

Audio casualty StevenSurprenant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mingus
    After my wife agreed to take the plants off the speakers, she decides to put wax tarts heaters on top of the speakers. Previously, with the plants she would over-water them and the water would seep into the seams of the speaker and cause an opening at the seams. With friends over for dinner and drinks, she decides to light up the tarts. One of her friends accidentally trip the tart heater and the melted tart spilled all over speaker and the grill. The question is what is the best to remove the wax.
    HOLD THE HEAT!

The first thing to do is to use ICE.

Cold wax becomes brittle and will crumble away from the speaker.

If you use heat, it will melt. If the wax is on grill cloth, the grill cloth will absorb the hot wax.

So, use cold first and if there is any left, then consider using heat with a cloth or paper towel to absorb the remaining wax.

If you use ice, put it in a plastic bag.

Also, if wax is in the speaker cloth...

Use ice - gently scape the bigger chunks with something like a credit card and for the rest - use a brush with thick bristles and tap the material ( DO NOT BRUSH!) just tap. It must be cold for this to work. The idea is to break the wax up so it falls away from the cloth.

This is how we remove stains in the dry cleaning industry and it works. Brushing the stain may ruin the threads of the material.
    Last edited by StevenSurprenant; 10-29-2008 at 04:20 AM.

Forum Regular
    At last the wax is gone. First I heated the wax then with a credit card I remove the wax. For the grill I use a piece of cloth and apply heat and got most of wax off. If heat didn’t work I would use ice next. For now, my wife will look for something more safer. I hope its not beanie babies or something. I remember my neighbor won some goldfish at a bazaar – the bowl with the goldfish was place on top of the speaker. When I was there I was to go near it.

You need to build a Man Room, Mingus.

"Man room".....Screw that! Tell the woman to stay away from the freakin' speakers.....problem solved

Sorry to read about the mishap. The blow drier sounds like the best advise to me.

After years of my wife seeing me freak out anytime she put anything on top of a speaker, she has learned not to put anything more than a soft, stuffed toy on them.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    "Man room".....Screw that! Tell the woman to stay away from the freakin' speakers.....problem solved
    Pay no attention to this individual. His wife would smack him silly if he ever talked to her like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Pay no attention to this individual. His wife would smack him silly if he ever talked to her like that.
    Nope, trust me she knows better. Has nothing to do with disrespect either. She just knows After 11 years of marriage, there's some things we just don't have to say to each other

LJ: This problem has passed the point of discussion or reason. Next thing you know, GM will send doilies....

Forum Regular
    I didn't mean to extend this thread but does anybody know a way to repair or seal an open seam in the speaker. It doesn't look that bad, but there is a gap.

Thanks for the previous advice - the wax is gone.

Crank it up, dude! huh? hydroman's Avatar
    Wax would fill it! (sorry! I could not resist )

Black RTV? Easier than wood putty and trying to blend the color...
    H/K AVR635 7.1
    Denon DVD900
    AE AEGIS III Mains
    ION USB Turntable w/ Shure M97XE
    15" Titanic III Sealed Enclosure Sub
    Dayton Rackmount 1000W :O
    Denon Surrounds
    Sony Bravia KDL40S2000

Forum Regular
    Hey, that's not a bad idea. Actually, I was thinking of using black wood filler. Someone else recommended black silicone.

Suspended
    I guess this is where those B&Ws with the Third Eye comes in handy. You can't put anything on top of the speakers. I have been thru this in the past as almost all of us have.

Number 1 Rule- Nothing gets placed on top of the speakers.

It also looks like you got the best suggestions already. Good luck.

Forum Regular

Question

The plants are back.

For the past few weeks I was pondering to add either a pool table or a ping pong table in the basement. With this addition I would have to move the basement HT to a different part of the basement. This setup consist mostly Yamaha/Sony electronics with KEF floorstanding speakers, Polk for center & rear and a Velodyne Subwoofer. I decided on the ping pong table. After relocating the HT and with the ping pong table in place, the basement looked pretty good. One day as I was walking downstairs into the basement I don't believe what I saw - a huge plant, the kind that needs a lot of watering sitting on top of the subwoofer. But as I got closer to the plant I realized it was a fake. Wow! What a relief - I don't need any water problems with the Sub. Actually, it doesn't look bad. From a distance it looked real.
    Last edited by Mingus; 12-23-2008 at 10:55 AM.

Thread Information