Forum Regular

Front/Main Replacements

Ok. We had a kickass party last weekend and unfortunately people kept turning the music up after my wife and I kept turning it down. End result = Blow front/main speakers. I want to try and replace with something as close to what I had for practical and budget reasons. The entire system is starting to show it's age but is more than adequate for now. The system is as follows:

Samsung LN52B750 LCD TV
    Marantz SR-7000 Amplifier
    Philips CDC-935 CD Player
    Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble Surround System
    Cambridge Soundworks Base Cube 15 Subwoofer

The two front speakers are blown. Center, two rear surrounds and the sub are all fine, as is the Marantz. My first reaction was to buy a pair of the Cambridge Soundworks mc630hd speakers at $199.99 each. The only basis I have for this is that I assume they would likely match well with the existing system. Also, I'd like something equally small that will fit on the same stands I am currently using. What has me waffling is there are lots of nice speakers out there for $400 and was wondering if anyone has any other ideas. I do not want to start spending lots of money until I decide to replace the entire system - TV, Receiver and Speakers, DVD/Blue Ray, etc. For now, I'm sticking with replacing the two front speakers. Does anyone have some suggestions that would be a suitable alternative to the CSW mc630hd's? Many thanks in advance for all.

Forum Regular
    I forgot to mention that I use this system for music as well. Wide range of tastes from Pop to Jazz to Classic Rock to Funk to R&B to Blues. The CSWs were fairly competent. Bottom line, they do need to crank as well as the old ones did. After all they lasted close to 20 years. Thanks again for all suggestions.

Suspended
    Cambridge Audio makes a speaker, I believe the S30, which is actually cheaper and those who have heard it report it's a real giant killer.

Forum Regular
    Thanks Mr. Peabody. They sound nice but I don't see a screw opening so they can be mounted onto a satellite stand. I need them mounted due to having a 7 year old running around and banging/knocking things over. If left to sit on a stand, I can see them flying off the stand at some point. The price is certainly right though.

Forum Regular
    Thanks Mr. Peabody. They sound nice but I don't see a screw opening so they can be mounted onto a satellite stand. I need them mounted due to having a 7 year old running around and banging/knocking things over. If left to sit on a stand, I can see them flying off the stand at some point. The price is certainly right though.

Forum Regular
    You can secure a speaker to a stand by fashioning a L bracket using the existing screws on the terminal cups on one end and screwing the other end to the underside of the stand.

I have a pair of the Cambridge Soundworks Model Six which are the last speakers the legendary Henry Kloss designed. It has that wonderful rich sound of his early KLH's is inexpensive and tall enough to consider as a floor stander or can be placed on a short stand. It has many positive reviews.

Thread Information