AR Newbie Registered Member

Frequency Range Help.

I get confused on the frequency ranges on speakers.

I am looking at 2 speakers right now. the Canton LE 190 and the Axiom M80ti.

Here is what their two sites have listed. Am I correct that the Canton has a larger range?

thanks for any help.

Canton LE 190
    # Frequency response: 20...30.000 Hz
    # Crossover response: 300 / 3.200 Hz

Axiom M80ti
    Freq Resp +/-3dB (Hz): 34 - 22 kHz
    Freq Resp +3dB- 9dB (Hz): 25 - 22kHz

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Yes...

Quote Originally Posted by hamburglar

Here is what their two sites have listed. Am I correct that the Canton has a larger range?

thanks for any help.

Canton LE 190

Axiom M80ti
    ...but with no tolerance (+/- XdB) given (as with the Axiom), a fair assessment of specs isn't possible...not that specs are the be-all and end-all, that's only the beginning...with speakers at least.

jimHJJ(...BTW crossover frequencies mean nothing when comparing bandwidth, it just indicates roughly the region where the woofer hands-off to the mid and it in turn hands-of to the tweet...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

nightflier
    Quote Originally Posted by hamburglar

thanks for any help.

Canton LE 190

Axiom M80ti

Like the other poster said, w/o decibel toletrance, it's hard to tell. That said, 20Hz is lower than most subwoofers and I just can't imagine a speaker being able to go that low elegantly. Are you sure you got the specs right on the Canton?

BTW. the M80 is one amazing speaker. FYI: that it is a 4 ohm load, too, so you need a decent amp to really get the full benefit of that speaker. I don't know what the Cantons are, but given that they are German, they probably are 4 ohm as well.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Any speaker that does not give you the +/- number is not helpful. A speaker rated 34hz to 23khz +/- 3db usually means that the speaker is -3db (or 3 decibals lower in volume) at 34 hz than it would be relative to other points on the frequency spectrum. +3db is 3 decibals louder.

As you can see though it is totally not helpful becuase what you would need to know is at which frequency does the speaker rise +3db and which frequency does it dip 3db. A speaker that has a 1db rise or spike in the treble part of the band may be very very annoying while a speaker that has a 5 decibal drop there may sound quite nice.

Of course even all of this can be thwarted just by listening to them -- which is why it is the best thing to do.

golden ear
    theoretically, the wider the range is, the better. however, the range has to be cover much of the audible range and that would be 20hz to 20khz. but if i were you, id stop looking at these numbers and give it a listen instead. trust your ears over these specs.

Thread Information