Forum Regular

Has driver technology improved over the years?

Check out this video on the Altec 605A circa late 50's early 60's. This driver sounds exceptional with no baffle/enclosure and is crazy efficient at 103dbs. I'd love to have a pair for my OB system.

Altec 605A coaxial bench demonstration. - YouTube

I depends on your point of view. If you're a HE speaker fan maybe not so much. If you're not I would think the vapor deposition technology introduced (I believe) by Yamaha would be considered an improvement in driver technology. Beryllium, Titanium and Diamond domes are the result of that technology. The examples that I've heard are very good sounding tweeters.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

I think that it has. Look at how much bass is obtainable from a 6.5" woofer. Back in the 1970's people were touting 15" monster woofers. Driver tech is not all that has changed, speaker enclosure tech has also improved. I think that some things have taken a step backward, such as 2ch recievers. It's hard to beat that Vintage 1970's sound. I still love the lush warmer sound that my 1976 Technic's integrated puts out. It only cost me $130 on sale back then.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

AR Newbie Registered Member

Has driver technology improved over the years?

How you appreciate sound given by your instrument or devices depends on your personal satisfaction.
    I am a good parent.

Forum Regular
    need a help

Forum Regular
    not sure if the fundamental technology has changed but speakers have definitely gotten smaller

Forum Regular
    With the introduction of solid state, high power became cheap to produce and available to the masses. Consequently speakers changed from larger highly efficient models which worked great with low power tube amps to smaller less efficient designs. Speaker cone material has varied drastically with the advent of polymers/metallic blends etc. but a return to paper seems to be the current trend. Fostex uses banana paper in their FE126En. Exotic driver magnets like alnico and neodymium have been around since the beginning. Alnico magnet speakers were common in 1950's Cadillacs and in tube jukeboxes. Sadly neodymium prices have just recently gone through the roof.

With the ever increasing popularity of low powered Single Ended Triode amps ( one of the oldest and simplest topologies dating back to the 1920's ) I would expect even more interest in the drivers of yore.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    I think not only has driver technology improved, but so has speaker technology over all. These days you can fully simulate the performance of a specific driver in a specific box without creating a mock up speaker. Through computers you can see how a speaker driver moves at difference frequencies, so you can see when it breaks up, and design a crossover to roll the output off before it does. You can model the behavior of crossovers to fit the drivers, port and slot sizes to tailor the low frequency response, and servo's to manage the drivers excursion and distortion characteristics.

On the speaker side, the H-PAS system is the most revolutionary thing I have seen in the last couple of decades. This system uses a combination of acoustic suspension design, transmission line, and slot loaded or ported design all cascaded together to make the speaker more efficient as you go lower in frequency. Atlantic Technology created the AT-1 that can play down to 29hz, no more than 3% distortion ,at 107db maximum output at 29hz with two 5 1/4" drivers. My long time buddy, and the speaker designer of my system licensed the technology, and applied it to a subwoofer. With a 15" driver, and a hefty enclosure (30x17x17" in size), he was able to achieve 125db at 20hz with no more than 2% distortion. It did this feat with a 150 watt amp, that is how efficient it is.

http://www.atlantictechnology.com/Up...t-1%202-11.pdf
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Forum Regular
    I have nothing to add, just trying to get 5 posts.

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible View Post
    I think not only has driver technology improved, but so has speaker technology over all. These days you can fully simulate the performance of a specific driver in a specific box without creating a mock up speaker. Through computers you can see how a speaker driver moves at difference frequencies, so you can see when it breaks up, and design a crossover to roll the output off before it does. You can model the behavior of crossovers to fit the drivers, port and slot sizes to tailor the low frequency response, and servo's to manage the drivers excursion and distortion characteristics.

On the speaker side, the H-PAS system is the most revolutionary thing I have seen in the last couple of decades. This system uses a combination of acoustic suspension design, transmission line, and slot loaded or ported design all cascaded together to make the speaker more efficient as you go lower in frequency. Atlantic Technology created the AT-1 that can play down to 29hz, no more than 3% distortion ,at 107db maximum output at 29hz with two 5 1/4" drivers. My long time buddy, and the speaker designer of my system licensed the technology, and applied it to a subwoofer. With a 15" driver, and a hefty enclosure (30x17x17" in size), he was able to achieve 125db at 20hz with no more than 2% distortion. It did this feat with a 150 watt amp, that is how efficient it is.

http://www.atlantictechnology.com/Up...t-1%202-11.pdf
    The H-PAS tech is very impressive... The AT-1's bass is just unbelievable for such a small speaker with correspondingly small drivers... I look forward to seeing it licensed to more brands...

Forum Regular
    The L.Cao 8 inch and 6.5 inch Alnico's are new full range speakers that are getting lots of attention. They are based on the famous Diatone full range speakers of the late 1940's. The price is for a pair.

L. Cao 8" inch Alnico Fullrange Speaker Matched Pair | eBay

Thread Information