• 03-29-2005, 05:00 AM
    Duds
    Found a local JM Lab retailer
    I discovered yesterday that an audio/video store in my area is now carrying JM Lab speakers. I plan on going there Saturday to audition the Chorus 705's and 706's. My question is, what can I expect from these campared to the B&W 601s3's and the Paradigm Studio 20v3's?

As stated in a previous post, a Marantz SR-7000 will supply the power, and I listen to music such as Pink Floyd, Tool, A Perfect Circle, The Gathering, Tori Amos, etc. I don't need a lot of bass, just tight and accurate bass.

Thanks for your help!
  • 03-29-2005, 06:01 AM
    jasmit
    JMLab speakers, made by a respected French speaker company, are excellent speakers. Among the speakers I auditioned were the Chorus 707's, B&W 602 S3's and Paradigm Reference Studio 20's. I went with the Studio 20's as I thought they sounded the best to me, but the Chorus 707's were really nice. BTW, Focal-JMLab makes speaker drivers for quite a few other speaker companies.
  • 03-29-2005, 06:18 AM
    Duds
    Thanks for the info! so what did you like about the studio 20's over the 707's?
  • 03-29-2005, 06:48 AM
    Florian
    I would definetly consider the Focals to be more musical than the B&W's, but i think that they would prefer a tube sounding unit.
  • 03-29-2005, 07:05 AM
    Duds
    What do you mean by a "tube sounding unit?" what sound does a tube amp have?
  • 03-29-2005, 07:25 AM
    Florian
    Tubes generally have a very warm and mellow sound. SS amps have a more harder direct sound. I use a mixture of the two, but if you get a sensetive speaker you can try a pure tube unit or for a jmlab chorus you can try something like a Pathos Acustics Classic One which is a hybrid.
  • 03-29-2005, 07:27 AM
    Duds
    Isn't Marantz known for having a "warm" sound?
  • 03-29-2005, 07:37 AM
    Florian
    Sorta, i had a SR7200 and a CD56 once. It just doesnt compare to a good tube amp. Not that they are bad, but just not a tube :p

Try products from Jolida with it or Pathos. Graaf is also good, really it all depends on the pocketbook :D
  • 03-29-2005, 07:46 AM
    Duds
    Unfortunately my pocketbook is quite shallow...LOL!!! the SR7000 will eventually be replaced, just cant do it right now.
  • 03-29-2005, 08:16 AM
    Florian
    Dont worry it will do fine, its definetly a great unit. I was just saying :-)

What source do you use?
  • 03-29-2005, 08:29 AM
    Duds
    Well thats another purchase soon. right now i am borrowing an cheap RCA dvd player hooked up digitally. Thinking about the Integra DSP 6.5. Heard anything about this unit?
  • 03-29-2005, 08:31 AM
    Florian
    If your focus is 2 channel, than i would recommend a Rega Planet 2000 CD player or a Arcam diva. I personally use a Audio Analouge Paganini MKII which can sometimes be had for around 1200....
  • 03-29-2005, 08:36 AM
    Duds
    just a tad out of my league....
  • 03-29-2005, 08:46 AM
    cjtalbot
    I've auditioned the Chorus 707's right next to the B&W 602 S3's and the 707's won hands down for me. (this was on a SS system). I didn't compare any of the other models in the Chorus line though, as at the time I was specifically looking for speakers in the 707/602 price bracket and range.

I really like the Chorus' though and I'm actually putting together a system in my office now around the Chorus LCR700s' and a NAD C270....
  • 03-29-2005, 08:58 AM
    Duds
    At what price point do the 707's go for?
  • 03-29-2005, 10:14 AM
    topspeed
    Good Guys carries JM Lab now. I listened to the JML's when I was looking for standmounts for my bedroom, along with Monitor, Energy Veritas, DefTech Powermonitors, B&W 603 & 705, Epos ELS3, and Paradigm 20v3. The JML's were very good, but in the end the Von Schweikert VR1's were the most musically satisfying to my ears. Superior dynamics to everything previously listed and an off-axis response that has to be heard to be believed. Seriously, the sweet spot is HUGE! If you can find a pair, it wouldn't hurt to put them on your audition list. I'd stack them up against any standmount up to $2K. You can find them used on audiogon now and again or find a dealer and start negotiating like crazy (that's what I did).

Hope this helps.
  • 03-29-2005, 10:43 AM
    Florian
    I second that too, my two top speakers (if planar is too large) would be the JML's or the Von Schweikert...

or if you can find a pair below 1000$ is the VMPS 626
  • 03-29-2005, 03:36 PM
    Rock789
    The 706 S are very nice! goodluck with your search
    Mike
  • 03-29-2005, 03:48 PM
    Shwamdoo
    You may want to consider several other speaker brands. B&W, Paradigm, and Focal are the three that are the most prominent in my mind. However, many other groups make great speakers in the same price range. I have listed great budget speaker brands before. If you need a list again I will happily type it out. (Just not if i don't have to.)

I like the Focal Chorus series...a bunch. I heard the 706 and the 707 and was impressed. I personaly liked the Focal Chorus speakers better than the B&W 600 series and the Paradigm Studio series.
  • 03-29-2005, 04:45 PM
    jasmit
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Duds
    Thanks for the info! so what did you like about the studio 20's over the 707's?

While all three speakers seemed to be well built and sounded great, to me, the B&W DM602 S3's were a little on the laid back side; the JMLab Chorus 707's were a little on the forward side; the Studio 20's were just right. I thought the Studio 20's sounded more natural and imaged better than the other two speakers.

BTW, I did not audition any of the three speakers together; they were at different stores. And you have to keep in mind that each store had different room acoustics which very probably had an effect on how they sounded to me. There was not mistaking, however, the superb imaging of the Studio 20's. I auditioned them at three different stores and their imaging ability was unmistakable.
  • 03-30-2005, 06:26 AM
    IRG
    Another JM Lab question...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jasmit
    While all three speakers seemed to be well built and sounded great, to me, the B&W DM602 S3's were a little on the laid back side; the JMLab Chorus 707's were a little on the forward side; the Studio 20's were just right. I thought the Studio 20's sounded more natural and imaged better than the other two speakers.

BTW, I did not audition any of the three speakers together; they were at different stores. And you have to keep in mind that each store had different room acoustics which very probably had an effect on how they sounded to me. There was not mistaking, however, the superb imaging of the Studio 20's. I auditioned them at three different stores and their imaging ability was unmistakable.

How much are the 707s going for? I've been talking with a dealer (not local to me) and I can get the 706 s for $440 (plus no tax). This seems like a good deal. I have a pair of Energy C-3 now, and like them, but I just want a change. Is the JM Lab a step up, a lateral move, or a step down? I also would like the Von Schweikerts but they are too much for me now. The other contenders are the Monitor Audio S1 or S2, The Monitor Audio GR10 (used), Boston Acoustics VRM60.

FYI, I will be powering the JM Labs (or whatever I get) with a NAD T743 receiver, and eventually a dedicated 2 channel amp, but for now the NAD will suffice, and a sub, and the room size is about 13 x 9, with one wall open. HT will be 80%, music 20%, but it is the music that I worry about first. To me, that is the much harder thing to get right than HT. I have no rear surrounds yet. Still looking for a location.

Thanks.
  • 03-30-2005, 12:49 PM
    topspeed
    Quote:

Originally Posted by IRG
    I also would like the Von Schweikerts but they are too much for me now.

What is your budget? Used VR1's are available on audiogon right now for around $650 and believe me, they are worth it.

You might want to consider the big picture here. A good set of speakers will satisfy you for decades, not until the next upgrade bug hits you. It sounds like you're gradually upgrading your system, so look for a speaker that will scale upwards with the front end. You absolutely do not want the speaker to be the limiting factor in your rig. If this means holding off for a few months to save up for something better, so be it. Just a thought...
  • 03-30-2005, 01:07 PM
    Duds
    Boy, these Von Schweikerts sound like a very impressive speaker. I'm in the same boat as IRG I think regarding the price of them. I think its necessary to take a step back sometimes and think about the necessities in life. Sure the speakers may be great, but will they be THAT much better than a nice set of JM Labs? Plus, if we never even listen to the VS's, we'll never know and wont have to worry about if we should have bought them.

Sorry, thats just how I look at things considering i dont have stock piles of cash under my bed!!! Probably the reason its been a couple years since i have been thinking about buy new speakers and havent pulled the trigger yet.
  • 03-30-2005, 01:20 PM
    IRG
    Budget?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by topspeed
    What is your budget? Used VR1's are available on audiogon right now for around $650 and believe me, they are worth it.

You might want to consider the big picture here. A good set of speakers will satisfy you for decades, not until the next upgrade bug hits you. It sounds like you're gradually upgrading your system, so look for a speaker that will scale upwards with the front end. You absolutely do not want the speaker to be the limiting factor in your rig. If this means holding off for a few months to save up for something better, so be it. Just a thought...

Who needs a stinkin' budget anyway. Well let's say it is "flexible" depending on how much house maintenance I need to do after this winter. My backyard is a mess with the f'reakin deer trampling everywhere. Looks like someone has been playing football on a wet mushy field. And the driveway needs gravel...etc.

And the wife is getting a new van, so whatever I have left, is my budget. I've seen the VR-1s for sale on audiogon - they way to go IMO. They need to be able to rock a little bit too, and not sure if this is the speaker that can do that. Seems like most "reviews" like Diania Krall, and other female voices, and that is all well and good, but if I can't hear a distorted guitar sound like a distorted guitar, then it isn't for me. I tend to like brighter speakers, because of the detail in guitar, cymbals, etc. I don't want listener fatigue, but then again, I don't get to play music for very long anyway. Someday I will invest heavily in some really good speakers, for now, I just want something different, and hopefully a little better. It may be that my C-3 are good enough for now. I also like the B&W 602 S3, and they seem to be in every comparison for someone looking at speakers under $1k. Can't be all bad.

Still looking, no rush from where I sit...
  • 03-31-2005, 07:01 AM
    Duds
    waiting to hear on price for VS VR1 demos, like new
    Found a retailer a few hours away who has some Von Schweikert VR1 demos in like new condition. He's going to call me to tell me a price that "I will be very happy with" Cant wait to hear what the price is.

I do have some questions though. Like IRG, how do these speakers do with rock music? I listen to A Perfect Circle, Tool, Pink Floyd, Gathering, porcupine Tree, Neil Young, Tori AMos, etc. Also, how will they perform with my Marantz receiver?