Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,380

    Fluance - Ensergy - Def Tech - Pioneer or ???

    I have been tasked with helping a friend put together a lower end HT system.

    Looking into suggesting a Yamaha Aventage RX-A730BL if they want to spend that much.

    I am stuck on the speaker system because of my tastes and current gear are not in same ballpark as what my friend is looking for.

    I have looked at a few Fluance systems SXHTB-DB150-KIT ($650), and Energy 5.1 Take Classic ($400)as well as Def Tech Pro Cinema 600($800). I have not listened to any of them. Also added Andrew Jones designed Pioneers.

    Any input or other suggestions appreciated.

    Brian

  2. #2
    Charm Thai™
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    865
    Out of the suggestions above I'd go with the Fluance system. I've never heard the pioneers before though.

  3. #3
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,380
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHills44060 View Post
    Out of the suggestions above I'd go with the Fluance system. I've never heard the pioneers before though.
    I am suggesting the Fluance also, maybe with a 3rd party sub. I have always liked Canadian speakers and they look good and get a decent review. My friend is a WallMart-o-phile so it is gonna be difficult getting him to spend the $1500 for the whole deal to begin with.

  4. #4
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Helotes,TX
    Posts
    771
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi View Post
    I have been tasked with helping a friend put together a lower end HT system.

    Looking into suggesting a Yamaha Aventage RX-A730BL if they want to spend that much.

    I am stuck on the speaker system because of my tastes and current gear are not in same ballpark as what my friend is looking for.

    I have looked at a few Fluance systems SXHTB-DB150-KIT ($650), and Energy 5.1 Take Classic ($400)as well as Def Tech Pro Cinema 600($800). I have not listened to any of them. Also added Andrew Jones designed Pioneers.

    Any input or other suggestions appreciated.

    Brian
    Hello Brian,

    I've not heard the Fluance speaker and it's been years since I heard the Energy 5.1 Take 5 system. I've heard the Def Tech Cinema series at my local audio dealer and to me they are more about bling than substance.

    Crutchfield has quite a few H.T. speaker systems under $500 so you may want to check that out if really trying to meet budget. I did find a speaker package that may be of interest to your buddy - NHT - SuperZero 5.1 - Theater System-Audio Advisor

    I tried to see what might be happening on the Vanns website but the server was too busy.

    Good luck with the research and final selection.
    My audio lab:
    Qinpu A-6000 MK ll Integrated Amp
    Blue Marble Audio Speaker Wire
    Tannoy Mercury V4
    HHB CDR-850
    Grant Fidelity DAC-11/Phillips 7DJ8 tube

    Parasound Zamp V.3/Parasound ZPre2 Preamp
    Signal Cable Analog 2 Speaker Wire
    Dali Ikon 2 mk 2
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001
    Stello DA 100 Signature DAC

    HT:
    Arcam AVR 200
    Signal Cable Classic Speaker Cable
    Mirage Nanosat
    Rel R-528 Subwoofer
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

    Various power cords, I.C.'s, optical, coax, and analog cables.

  5. #5
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,380
    Quote Originally Posted by LeRoy View Post
    Hello Brian,

    I've not heard the Fluance speaker and it's been years since I heard the Energy 5.1 Take 5 system. I've heard the Def Tech Cinema series at my local audio dealer and to me they are more about bling than substance.

    Crutchfield has quite a few H.T. speaker systems under $500 so you may want to check that out if really trying to meet budget. I did find a speaker package that may be of interest to your buddy - NHT - SuperZero 5.1 - Theater System-Audio Advisor

    I tried to see what might be happening on the Vanns website but the server was too busy.

    Good luck with the research and final selection.
    Thanks, Leroy. I have always liked what I heard from NHT since they came on the scene many years ago.

    I was highly impressed with the original floorstaders with the angled front and side woofer, 2.1s I think.

    Waiting for a response to my suggestions and budget....

  6. #6
    Forum Regular blackraven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Posts
    5,421
    I agree with the NHT's. Also take a look at PSB Alpha B1's for $240pr at Saturday Audio They also have a PSB HT system on sale for $799 that lists for $1400. But does he have to go with a 5.1 or can he go with a 4.1 without a center channel? There would be more options with better speakers.

    However, it he is on a budget then the energy system is the way to go based on the reviews.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

  7. #7
    Forum Regular blackraven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Posts
    5,421
    Also consider one of the HSU packages-

    Value 1 Packages
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •