AR Newbie Registered Member

Floorstanding Speaker Question

I hope this is the right forum to post my question.
    I'm hoping somebody could help me answer a question I have about Polk Audio LS70 speakers. I have noticed that when I turn up the volume on my receiver(Sony STR DA777ES) not even half way, the drivers on the LS70 seem as if they are skipping - they sound as if they are blown. I already replaced the drivers few months back but that didn't change anything. As I was looking at the specs of the receiver and the speakers - I noticed I should have enough power to push them and in return they should be able to handle it. So I was wondering if I was going to stuff them with padding so the driver has less space to travel would that help? Or is there something else i could try.
    P.S. I already tried them on another receiver with same result. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Forum Regular

Hmm that's odd....

What size woofers do these speakers have? I can't see Polk's doing something like that at halfway :S... My 6" bookshelf speakers don't do that at halfway on my Sony.....What kind of music are you listening to?

Forum Regular

Funny you mention this...

...a friend of mine has the LS90s (about 12 years old, right?) and they are doing the same thing. At moderate volume, the woofers start to break up.

I would suspect a speaker problem... they lose composure at a level I would think they SHOULD be able to to. Maybe Polk knows of an inherent problem with these.

IIRC, the LS90s were about $1400/pr. Not sure if it's real, but the finish is very nice (glossy Walnut).

Good luck...

AR Newbie Registered Member

size

The size of the woofs are 7.5 in. The music that I listen to: rock, classical, techno, dance, rap. They usually start skipping when there is some bass - doesn't have to be heavy.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by modran
    The size of the woofs are 7.5 in. The music that I listen to: rock, classical, techno, dance, rap. They usually start skipping when there is some bass - doesn't have to be heavy.
    Perhaps your just asking to much from them bass wise. If your into techno and dance music a good sub would be an excellent investment.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

The Collector
    it also may be a bad connection on the crossover. always go through and touch up the solder joints every few years. i do it with all my gear. just out of habit

Thread Information