Floor-standing speakers purchase...

Hi! I want to upgrade my mains (currently HTIB speakers) with some nice towers.
    Basically, I want main speakers that perform decently in stereo mode so that I can enjoy music that's rich in details and they should do a better job with movies then my current "speakers". My setup is a Yamaha HTR-5640 A/V receiver with HTIB (I know, I know) speakers.

I was quite sceptical considering that my budget is only $250 for the speakers, but I found some good deals. I kind of reduced the choice to the following 2:
    1. Yamaha NS-A100XT
    2. Polk Audio R50
    I'm pretty sure there are other good deals out there that I'm unaware of. If you could tell me about them or comment the ones I found, I would appreciate it. Thank You!
    Thanks to 6.1, I now have more tolerance for people breathing down my neck...

Forum Regular
    have u listened to polks before? frys generally has a bunch of polk home audio if u live near frys go listen to them.

Forum Regular
    Hi depressed,

I like both of your choices but I would choose the Polk R50 because I like their sound better and I like the company. I currently own Rti38 bookshelves and I really like them. I think you will find the R50's easier to live with at home due to the nice bass and balanced sound. Polk has good build quality and customer support too. However your tastes may differ from mine so audition them as well as you can before choosing. I will say that my own speakers sounded a lot better at home than they did in the store. Good luck.

Thanks for the responses. I have been auditioning some speakers recently, however I couldn't review the speakers that are recommended here. I found some speakers that have been reviewed on this site, all of them are out of my price range. As I always do when I go shopping, I did research the market and read the reviews for a month now. Within my price range, I think this is the best "bang for the buck" However, I'm aware that there are other good deals out there that I don't know about and I would appreciate you guys telling me about those.

I insist on having other members make their recommendations because most likely I 'm not going to get a chance to audition them prior to buying them. That's why I heavily rely on your opinions. As for the sound warmth/neutrality preferences, I have none right now. All I want is speakers that are able to reproduce the music decently and have the specs/quality parts that enable them to do so. Thank You again!

Forum Regular
    Look at some athena speakers

Forum Regular
    Polk would be my choice,also you can get some nice deals on Athena at your local Best Buys,something about the athena sound doesnt agree with me,but I know of a lot of folks that enjoy them.BTW,I picked my son up a pair of MTX monitor 10's at circuit city other day,got them for $186 out the door,they were floor models,not my type of speaker either but they jam,my son loves them!

Thanks for the help!

Thread Information